7.62 For Deer

Hi guys, did a search on here and online but couldn't find any info.

I'm thinking of getting a 7.62x51 and would want to use it on deer and target. So my question is can you get 7.62 hunting rounds suitable for deer? If not I won't bother but my mate is selling a very nice target rifle that could be used for stalking as well. So if hunting rounds are easily available I will get it.

Any leads for this would be good,

Cheers

I knew a bloke from Barnsley, who used one all the time for deer, he was a guy I had the greatest of respect for, he swore by them and had them as in both stalking, and target rifles, back then the police were cautious of the caliber, it being a military round but that was before the restriction on expanding ammo, he was adamant nothing killed deer like one,I must admit I don't think I have come across anyone else stalking with one, and I have stalked around 30 yr , I remember him butching some red hinds he brought back, and to be fare there wasn't a abnormally large amount of carcass damage, in fact they were in good condition, I know he tried different calibers, but settled on that, I think we all do find the one that suits us, and it seems hard to move on from it, I think ammo availability would be my guide and as far as I remember, there's not much difference, in 7.62 and 308 when it comes down to it,

• 2 weeks later...

Very easy, just buy 308win bud.

A good advice.

@treefella don't waste time and money with military rifles for hunting.

You could have a variety of bullets in .30-06 or .308 specially designed for hunting. And is no animal in Europe that could stand in front of the old .30-06, from foxes to bears ;)

Well I know guys that use the NATO rounds in 223&308.

I always just thought military brass was thicker and therefore higher pressure if 308 loading data is used.

U.

Nato 5.56 is higher pressure than .223.

.308 is higher pressure than 7.62.

So, theoretically you can shoot .223 in a 5.56 and 7.62 in a .308, (although some will also give you a debate about marginal differences in brass size) but doing it the other way isn't a great idea.

Frankly I don't care how many people do, or want to, as long as I'm nowhere near them, just in case! :thumbs:

To the OP.

There are certainly options for 7.62 deer legal bullets, but the 7.62 was/is a military round which stemmed out of the .308. So using a 7.62 for deer, especially a target rifle, would not be many peoples first choice, and what sights/scope do you have on it?

So, you have options, but personally, as others have said, just get another calibre (whatever suits) for the deer and keep your 7.62 for target!

:thumbs: