Anyone Working Deerhound/collie/greyhound At The Moment?

That's my take on it, max as offered a great thing in been able to source real good gh blood but me they just seem to be a dying type, for hares there better options for fox there better options rabbit and so on, so it leaves this breed alittle in the dark and say another 10/15 years down the line I don't see where any real working deerhounds will be?

lol deerhounds for deer? Not hare fox or rabbit.so maybe they are the better type for deer. Lol

Took the words out of my mouth. Lol

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I expect someone, somewhere , still has a fancy for the fabulous Deerhound lurcher...

The influence of Border Collie in Deerhoundy breeding cannot ever be underestimated,it took a good lurcher to another level.Hand on heart id never own a lurcher that was not heavily Deerhound and Bord

colliexgrey x deerhound x grey

Posted Images

Is there many real working deerhounds left? Or is there older more deerhound lurchers still been bred of? Make for a lovely type and seen one handy one myself first hand but you very hear of real working deerhounds now or is it more saturated lurcher/lurcher over the years.

The working deerhound situation is indeed dire! I don't think even the most ardent deerhound fans (and I'm one) would disagree with that.

There are a few pures over here in Ireland that are run on fox and occasionally hare. For anyone wanting to breed deer/greys these are the type to look for. There are also some deerhound lurchers bred by crossing deer/greys with bull/greys or wheaton/greys by lads that want something big, heavy and tough.

I personally feel that if anyone has a pure or deerhound lurcher of any type that turns out half decent as a worker they should breed it with the best working deerhound type they can find to try and keep a line going.

My own half cross bitch is a bit big for rabbits at 29 inches and close on 80 pounds. She'll catch a few easily enough but isn't a patch on my collie cross as a rabbiter. She's keen though, and gaining experience at other jobs, and if she continues to improve the way she's going I'll probably breed from her in another couple of years.

if you had to run both deerhound x and collie x on all quarry which would put more away

Is there many real working deerhounds left? Or is there older more deerhound lurchers still been bred of? Make for a lovely type and seen one handy one myself first hand but you very hear of real working deerhounds now or is it more saturated lurcher/lurcher over the years.

The working deerhound situation is indeed dire! I don't think even the most ardent deerhound fans (and I'm one) would disagree with that.

There are a few pures over here in Ireland that are run on fox and occasionally hare. For anyone wanting to breed deer/greys these are the type to look for. There are also some deerhound lurchers bred by crossing deer/greys with bull/greys or wheaton/greys by lads that want something big, heavy and tough.

I personally feel that if anyone has a pure or deerhound lurcher of any type that turns out half decent as a worker they should breed it with the best working deerhound type they can find to try and keep a line going.

My own half cross bitch is a bit big for rabbits at 29 inches and close on 80 pounds. She'll catch a few easily enough but isn't a patch on my collie cross as a rabbiter. She's keen though, and gaining experience at other jobs, and if she continues to improve the way she's going I'll probably breed from her in another couple of years.

if you had to run both deerhound x and collie x on all quarry which would put more away

Yeah I know there "deer"hounds, the pures Iv seen work on film or clips wouldn't put many deer away to me, if they ain't bending old Sally they ain't doing much with daytime deer, then "if" they do get close the must have the heart to stand with a mature Fallow just say.

I ain't knocking them one bit ain't my style to knock any cross, what iam trying to get at is now and in years to come will there be any real working deerhounds left? With the ban and more lads choosing other cross as they have more success rate with the from rabbit right up there seems to be better choices out there or lurcher/lurcher line that's already doing everything you want instead of going back to try and find asuitable type for breeding? Like I said I ve seen one deer/gh x collie/gh and he was a good alround type of dog or abit of everything my kind of lurcher,

Mik's trigger dog looks just the ticket although he's sal/deer/gh, and plenty of others Iv seen on here. It's just the pure deerhound blood now just doesn't look like the same dog as yesteryear

• Like 1

That would depend on the individual deerhound cross and collie cross. If it were my two compared then my collie cross would put more away but not much of it would be anything but rabbits. The hares around here mostly live in spots unsuitable for the net and there are no roe in Ireland. The deerhound cross put a bigger variety of meat on the table :thumbs: .

Edited by Maximus Ferret

Yeah I know there "deer"hounds, the pures Iv seen work on film or clips wouldn't put many deer away to me, if they ain't bending old Sally they ain't doing much with daytime deer, then "if" they do get close the must have the heart to stand with a mature Fallow just say.

I ain't knocking them one bit ain't my style to knock any cross, what iam trying to get at is now and in years to come will there be any real working deerhounds left? With the ban and more lads choosing other cross as they have more success rate with the from rabbit right up there seems to be better choices out there or lurcher/lurcher line that's already doing everything you want instead of going back to try and find asuitable type for breeding? Like I said I ve seen one deer/gh x collie/gh and he was a good alround type of dog or abit of everything my kind of lurcher,

Mik's trigger dog looks just the ticket although he's sal/deer/gh, and plenty of others Iv seen on here. It's just the pure deerhound blood now just doesn't look like the same dog as yesteryear

thought you were on about xs?

Deerhounds were bred for deer that's my point just because they are now over sized etc ain't their fault.

Edited by Somewhereyournot

Deerhounds were bred for deer that's my point just because they are now over sized etc ain't their fault.

Deerhounds were bred to hunt deer and bring them to bay were they not? Not to bring them down

The influence of Border Collie in Deerhoundy breeding cannot ever be underestimated,it took a good lurcher to another level.Hand on heart id never own a lurcher that was not heavily Deerhound and Border influenced,ive owned many a lurcher type and they all found their niche with me,only the Deerhoundy/Collie bred uns covered ALL of my hunting habits all the time,ive owned better dogs at certain disciplines,1 and 2 trick pony,s,ive never owned anything that could cover,with the same aptitude, the capability of an honest bred Deerhoundy/Collie lurcher.The terrain i hunt and what it holds is a significant factor in my preferred choice of mutt,especially the terrain.

• Like 8

I'm talking straight hard working deerhounds cause if we ain't got them they be no x's would their? Please don't think I'am knocking deerhounds or crosses what I'm trying to get at the pure working deerhound stock we have available today is it really the right ingredient to be adding? When there other better lines crosses or pure's of other working breeds that can still do the job

I'm merely interested in the way the working deerhound is going in this day in age, not knocking them in any way

The influence of Border Collie in Deerhoundy breeding cannot ever be underestimated,it took a good lurcher to another level.Hand on heart id never own a lurcher that was not heavily Deerhound and Border influenced,ive owned many a lurcher type and they all found their niche with me,only the Deerhoundy/Collie bred uns covered ALL of my hunting habits all the time,ive owned better dogs at certain disciplines,1 and 2 trick pony,s,ive never owned anything that could cover,with the same aptitude, the capability of an honest bred Deerhoundy/Collie lurcher.The terrain i hunt and what it holds is a significant factor in my preferred choice of mutt,especially the terrain.

Any pics of yours Morton?

Cheers

I have a full working deerhound bitch pup I got from westmeath Ireland and 2 greyhound X deerhounds pups they r great looking pups well reared were bred in WeX Ford.

Stick some pictures up hounddog :thumbs: .

What way is the man in Wexford breeding?? Does he use a deerhound dog on greyhound bitches or vise versa?

What work if any is he doing with his deerhound or deerhounds and with his greyhound or greyhounds?

I have a full working deerhound bitch pup I got from westmeath Ireland and 2 greyhound X deerhounds pups they r great looking pups well reared were bred in WeX Ford.

Stick some pictures up hounddog :thumbs: .

What way is the man in Wexford breeding?? Does he use a deerhound dog on greyhound bitches or vise versa?he has a deerhoundxgeyhoundxdeerhoundxgreyhound back to a greyhound bitch has a other litter now outta other bitch think em only about 5 weeks old now.I'm not good at putting up pics as I'm using a tablet but will try.

What work if any is he doing with his deerhound or deerhounds and with his greyhound or greyhounds?