Anyone Working Deerhound/collie/greyhound At The Moment?

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I expect someone, somewhere , still has a fancy for the fabulous Deerhound lurcher...

The influence of Border Collie in Deerhoundy breeding cannot ever be underestimated,it took a good lurcher to another level.Hand on heart id never own a lurcher that was not heavily Deerhound and Bord

colliexgrey x deerhound x grey

Posted Images

Had a 7/8 ghx1/8 dh years ago that i put to a half x dhxgh dog.This bitch was very fast and took all quarry but with ease.She had 7 pups and 6 were rough coated and 1 brindle coloured dog smooth which i kept myself,2 were given to lads from uk and the rest to lads local to myself.The dog i kept back made about 26in and was good and strong with lots of pace.He took his 1st fox at 9mts of age by accident while out mooching about with him his mother and a couple of terriers,fox broke from cover and dog [sPUD] was loose and spoted it and took it like a pro.At 11mts he took his 1st Deer again by accident,Deer broke from a small cover and tried to make it to a block of forestry but Spud took it down and was in control before his mother actually got in on the act.He was a lovely dog to have about the place,no bother with other dogs and a gentle dog about kids,he died young enough from kidney failure,was around 7 year old and his mother was killed when she ran something across a busy road so that was the end of them,nice breed of lurcher.

That spud sounded a good dog. Sorry to hear you lost him young.

They make great lurchers in the right hands, they do require patience as they mature later but are worth the wait, my dad had his own line, he started with dick Taylor's mickey who won the drax cup in the 70s and a collie greyhound he bought from a lady in denby dale.

Is there many real working deerhounds left? Or is there older more deerhound lurchers still been bred of? Make for a lovely type and seen one handy one myself first hand but you very hear of real working deerhounds now or is it more saturated lurcher/lurcher over the years.

Is there many real working deerhounds left? Or is there older more deerhound lurchers still been bred of? Make for a lovely type and seen one handy one myself first hand but you very hear of real working deerhounds now or is it more saturated lurcher/lurcher over the years.

The working deerhound situation is indeed dire! I don't think even the most ardent deerhound fans (and I'm one) would disagree with that.

There are a few pures over here in Ireland that are run on fox and occasionally hare. For anyone wanting to breed deer/greys these are the type to look for. There are also some deerhound lurchers bred by crossing deer/greys with bull/greys or wheaton/greys by lads that want something big, heavy and tough.

I personally feel that if anyone has a pure or deerhound lurcher of any type that turns out half decent as a worker they should breed it with the best working deerhound type they can find to try and keep a line going.

My own half cross bitch is a bit big for rabbits at 29 inches and close on 80 pounds. She'll catch a few easily enough but isn't a patch on my collie cross as a rabbiter. She's keen though, and gaining experience at other jobs, and if she continues to improve the way she's going I'll probably breed from her in another couple of years.

That's my take on it, max as offered a great thing in been able to source real good gh blood but me they just seem to be a dying type, for hares there better options for fox there better options rabbit and so on, so it leaves this breed alittle in the dark and say another 10/15 years down the line I don't see where any real working deerhounds will be?

That's my take on it, max as offered a great thing in been able to source real good gh blood but me they just seem to be a dying type, for hares there better options for fox there better options rabbit and so on, so it leaves this breed alittle in the dark and say another 10/15 years down the line I don't see where any real working deerhounds will be?

lol deerhounds for deer? Not hare fox or rabbit.so maybe they are the better type for deer. Lol