I Just Couldnt Help Myself, I Just Had To Try It.

I remember getting slated by loads on here when Jim took me up the dales with my brindle bitch. I think she was 8 months old or there abouts and we got 20 odd rabbits with her.

Plenty said she should of only had a few runs for her first night on the lamp. Jim figured she would learn more in that one night than she would in 10 nights local just getting 2s and 3s.

I took his word for it and basically let him do his thing. He is a very experienced dog man after all. We could see the bitch wasn't being tested by any means and was making light work of the rabbits, even when we wrapped up she had loads left in the tank.

I had comments like "she will be yapping in 12 months" or "she might have caught them dales rabbits but she will jack when you slip her on the lamp shy rabbits local to you".

Absoloute nonsense. She's gone from strength to strength after that night. It just gave her a very good foundation.

It just goes to show how differently people do things.

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If your going to start them young then do it properly and forget silly pissy rabbits get them pulling some proper gear .......  

with the season drawing closer and my new pup getting bigger by the day i have been looking forward to the start of the season, and that first night of light rain and wind.   yesterday mornings for

There has always been a reluctance to risk spoiling/souring a race dog or hare coursing prospect, by overmatching it at an early age,..but, jukels destined to be roustabout catch dogs ,...LURCHERS,...

Posted Images

Easiest way to ruin a dog is to run it to young, its muscles and bones aren't of the same strength and injuries can manifest itself at a later stage, I can understand wanting to get the pup out early but honestly patience is the best policy, a puppy should be a puppy and not asked to do a adults job. I wouldn't go as far as to call you names but all I will say is if you take your time the dog will still do its job later on in life.

I remember getting slated by loads on here when Jim took me up the dales with my brindle bitch. I think she was 8 months old or there abouts and we got 20 odd rabbits with her.

Plenty said she should of only had a few runs for her first night on the lamp. Jim figured she would learn more in that one night than she would in 10 nights local just getting 2s and 3s.

I took his word for it and basically let him do his thing. He is a very experienced dog man after all. We could see the bitch wasn't being tested by any means and was making light work of the rabbits, even when we wrapped up she had loads left in the tank.

I had comments like "she will be yapping in 12 months" or "she might have caught them dales rabbits but she will jack when you slip her on the lamp shy rabbits local to you".

Absoloute nonsense. She's gone from strength to strength after that night. It just gave her a very good foundation.

lol I canI'd you saying she would have caught 50 by Christmas as well lol we all do things different ferreting mooching first for me

lol I canI'd you saying she would have caught 50 by Christmas as well lol we all do things different ferreting mooching first for me

I did say that yeh. She did 20 bunnys local before she was 12 months old and never saw the need to go back up the dales for the sake of it. I spent all of last season and the season before shooting hares for her to retrieve and didn't bother with the rabbits as much. Don't plan on going back up the dales anytime soon. Nothing to prove to anyone and I don't need the numbers. Would rather get 10 hard earned around here than go up there collecting numbers for the sake of it.

I'm with you on the mooching. Can't beat it.

• Like 2

i first take mine out from 8 weeks in the day, before thier 3 month their lamping and thats what they do for the rest of thier lives , but i have been told I'm fcked in the head

Were you on here years ago under another name? I'm sure I remember you getting some stick.

My only worry would be that the dog's still not very fit/sharp/fast and will get frustrated when it inevitably misses and yap.

Some pups will sprint around for hours,so as long the grounds ok I can't see 1-2 runs doing any harm.

It's all about stacking it all in their favour, rabbits can be easy on the right fields, time of year etc.. 1 or 2 runs and away, leave those fields for bringing the pup on!

• Like 1

My only worry would be that the dog's still not very fit/sharp/fast and will get frustrated when it inevitably misses and yap.

Some pups will sprint around for hours,so as long the grounds ok I can't see 1-2 runs doing any harm.

It's all about stacking it all in their favour, rabbits can be easy on the right fields, time of year etc.. 1 or 2 runs and away, leave those fields for bringing the pup on!

Yeah but nothings certain,sometimes a rabbit looks easy but things don't go the dogs way,even adult dogs have off days.

So as you say stack things in the dogs favour,but I'd personally rather the dog was a bit older,fitter,faster and more mentally mature.

In an ideal world that is,the first thing my current lurcher caught was a strong winter hare he put up himself when he was only about 10-11 months old,which was a complete accident but done him no harm.

• Like 1

Yeah but nothings certain,sometimes a rabbit looks easy but things don't go the dogs way,even adult dogs have off days.

So as you say stack things in the dogs favour,but I'd personally rather the dog was a bit older,fitter,faster and more mentally mature.

In an ideal world that is,the first thing my current lurcher caught was a strong winter hare he put up himself when he was only about 10-11 months old,which was a complete accident but done him no harm.

Haha, you can't plan it when out for a mooch mate lol...

Mine come ferreting from an early age, this pup now is 14 months, she's caught a few bolters by 6 months with the ferrets and had switched on, I gave her a couple of runs end of the season and she ran well, Mooched all summer with her and now letting her see some green rabbits on the lamp whilst the moon is down, she's had a few more rabbits and 4 in 4 runs earlier this week, everything has been nice and steady, and she's coming on well, she's been exposed to game from a young age but with no pressure if you know what I mean...

Edited by NEWKID
  • Like 1

Seen this youngster run on the lamp it was no slouch only run 3 or 4 runs and it should of killed all the odds were stacked the right way but they had put cows in next Field over that soon came over to us and feked it up but I will say Ben handled it well he must of been round cows a lot as he was not spooked by them and it might be early starting for the pup but the way trigger dose it works for him pup was so good in and out the car no fuking about its not all about pushing the pup hard I think its more to do watching the other dog and walking to heal and so on not kissing ass jest saying what I seen

my bitches night at 6month ended with 3 bunnies and a sprung toe wasnt wort it still soft boans devoloping and joints etc and something could spoil her at such young age fall bang torns .. fruatraion be another . take your time id say atb

• Like 1

Seen this youngster run on the lamp it was no slouch only run 3 or 4 runs and it should of killed all the odds were stacked the right way but they had put cows in next Field over that soon came over to us and feked it up but I will say Ben handled it well he must of been round cows a lot as he was not spooked by them and it might be early starting for the pup but the way trigger dose it works for him pup was so good in and out the car no fuking about its not all about pushing the pup hard I think its more to do watching the other dog and walking to heal and so on not kissing ass jest saying what I seen

arse licker.

arse licker.
but muncher
  • Like 1