I Just Couldnt Help Myself, I Just Had To Try It.

I can't see much difference between taking a pup mooching and letting it chase a bunny that has been put up and lamping a couple of squatters, other than the fact that the squatters will be a darn sight easier for a young dog to catch. I can see the point when people say a young dogs bones aren't fully formed but both mine have been out mooching from the time they had their injections and both have raced round like mad things just for the fun of it from the off. My old dogs 8 now and although he gets nowhere near the work Triggers dogs do he's never had a serious injury other than tears, which I put down to learning how to run rough ground at an early age.

A lot depends on the type,as lurchers are all sorts,but when you get a young pup out and about its doing only good and it benefits by every trip out. If that pup is going finish up around say around the seventy pound mark and a powerful dog and you continue to take it out doing serious work then you can do harm. You need to start being cautious around the age when the muscles are becoming strong enough to hurt there good friend the skeleton who has not quite finished growing yet. You can own a very powerful animal with a great set of muscles, but without a sound skeleton to sit on they are worthless..

Im talking about running dogs. Not farm dogs,bushers or yappers that barely get up enough speed to hurt the quarry nevermind themselves.

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If your going to start them young then do it properly and forget silly pissy rabbits get them pulling some proper gear .......  

with the season drawing closer and my new pup getting bigger by the day i have been looking forward to the start of the season, and that first night of light rain and wind.   yesterday mornings for

There has always been a reluctance to risk spoiling/souring a race dog or hare coursing prospect, by overmatching it at an early age,..but, jukels destined to be roustabout catch dogs ,...LURCHERS,...

Posted Images

Running a pup at 4and half month well it's taking the piss tbh and it tells me there's more nob heads on this site than I thought ,simple as that it's all about bragging in my eyes my pup done this my pup done that ,but at the end of the day it's your mutt so crack on but I'll will guarantee it will end in tears ,happy lamping lads haha

• Like 2

well if it works for them. i wont knock it. its just not for me :thumbs: its just a debate not a bitching session. these are the sort of things that should get aired on a forum about running dogs. there are a lot of folk with young pups on this site so its especially relevent. trigger might get his own back yet if i let my young pup loose early. :D . after all she is already coursing my terriers. good luck in the coming season to all the young guns :yes:

I've had 5 month old pups catch myxie rabbits whilst out mooching by day, and I usually take pups ferreting by the time they are 5 months old, but I think that is quite different to running on the lamp, at night, when the pup will be less aware of the lumps and bumps in the ground, fences, obstacles etc. If my 5 month old pup was handling itself well by day, out ferreting, and showing real keenness out mooching, not afraid to dive in for a catch when a rabbit is bolted by the terriers from cover, then I might just consider taking it out on the lamp, but only if the land was as safe as can possibly be ...nice grass field, longish grass to slow the rabbits down, no holes, and very green rabbits.

But so much depends on the owner. I hate to think of a very inexperienced owner taking the 'wrong' sort of pup out on the lamp. Some lurchers grow up keeping themselves together well. They don't have phases where they're all legs and no muscle; they don't fall over their feet or tear around running into things, and they don't lose the plot and get ridiculously over-excited at the slightest thing.

If you know what you're doing, and can assess your pup correctly, that's fine, but some can't. I could have lamped Sparrrow at 6 months, and I'm sure she'd have caught the odd green rabbit. She grew up to be just under 23" and never looked spindly or gawky. Hunni, the dog in my avatar, bigger, more sighthound in her, would have looked stupid at that age.

Sparrow at about 6 months

attachicon.gifsp-closing.jpg

didn't you ever bred off the collie type you kept penny? Or the rough fawn types always like them...

The thing is would we of heard about it .if it had gone the other way ..probley not

A lot of the time man can take advantage of a good thing ..and it can go wrong very wrong and cost you a decent dog or what could of been....

Which I found out the hard way when my 11 month old pup done his growth plate in his back leg..season lost pup rehomed...that anit nice...atb

The thing is would we of heard about it .if it had gone the other way ..probley not

A lot of the time man can take advantage of a good thing ..and it can go wrong very wrong and cost you a decent dog or what could of been....

Which I found out the hard way when my 11 month old pup done his growth plate in his back leg..season lost pup rehomed...that anit nice...atb

Im sorry for that mate,but at last someone has owned up to what can happen. You had a bad experience but you learned by it,and thats the difference. You see people here who just have not got the real interest to learn. Some have been in the job five minutes and they know it all. Opinions differ I know but nature doesnt bend with opinions,and growth plates wont close sooner because lads cant wait to use the pups.

Think you would be able to tell if dog had it or not before its 2 year old if not shouldn't keep dogs

Thats where you are wrong and why we see so many young dogs jacking and up for sale before they are two. A dog isnt physically finished until its 2 and not adult in mind until its 3. A dog becomes adult at three.

Think you would be able to tell if dog had it or not before its 2 year old if not shouldn't keep dogs

Thats where you are wrong and why we see so many young dogs jacking and up for sale before they are two. A dog isnt physically finished until its 2 and not adult in mind until its 3. A dog becomes adult at three.

Christ we've gone from 15 months, to 2 years and now it's 3 years.

Any advances on 3 years? Anyone reckon 4 years?

Lol only kidding mate. I'm sure you're right ?

Lol only kidding mate. I'm sure you're right

I've a bull/grey X wheaten/grey here that I'm sure will be the best dog ever. Just to make sure I won't be running him on anything other than a tennis ball till he's at least 5...

Lol only kidding mate. I'm sure you're right

I've a bull/grey X wheaten/grey here that I'm sure will be the best dog ever. Just to make sure I won't be running him on anything other than a tennis ball till he's at least 5...

Fair play mate. 5. Bloody hell thats some patience. Take my hat off to you.

mate think you read my reply wrong I've a dog that is 2 in October haven't done much h with him because he isn't ready but has everything going for him and if you can't see that in a dog you have raised from a pup well give it a by do see what I mean in my Reply now ?

mate think you read my reply wrong I've a dog that is 2 in October haven't done much h with him because he isn't ready but has everything going for him and if you can't see that in a dog you have raised from a pup well give it a by do see what I mean in my Reply now ?

Yes sorry mate...I didnt read it right..

• Like 1

Dogs heart and lungs are not developed until 18months to 2years. Over exertion can not only cause physical but also mental damage. Pups should do no more than play run. Being pushed to over exert is bad for them. Biggest cause of defeat in a dog is lack of wind.no matter what the quarry. A dog is not capable of being fully fitness trained until it has finished growing inside its body aswell as out.

You can ruin a good un. It happens all the time.

i think you read to much mate, things aint black and white , exertion , like when kids come in from being out side all day and fall straight to sleep, twins ,ones sat on his fat ass on a computer all day the other helping out on the farm from a young age ,would there be a difference. as iv said before your whole body adjusts to what you do when your young , it most be right because when i was young i could never get a girl friend and iv always been none as a wanker to mates

Perhaps you should read more,and then you might learn to make a bit more sense when you write. Things are fairly black and white with rearing pups. Just like kids they need freedom to gallop,play and sleep,preferably in the warmer months for pups.If you do not have room at home to provide that then you need to take them out into fields everyday to stretch. What they do not need and should not have is over exertion. That is to say too much. Simple...for most anyway. btw an Ass is a donkey. I think you mean Arse!

what about kids, football boxing and all the other sports ,the ones who make it to the top ,do you know what they go through before there 14 and some much younger ,there super fit, and they have to work their guts out to get there, do they end up in wheel chairs by the time their 30,its ok to do it to kids but not pups , i bet you like most on here think the moons made of cheese

Dogs heart and lungs are not developed until 18months to 2years. Over exertion can not only cause physical but also mental damage. Pups should do no more than play run. Being pushed to over exert is bad for them. Biggest cause of defeat in a dog is lack of wind.no matter what the quarry. A dog is not capable of being fully fitness trained until it has finished growing inside its body aswell as out.

You can ruin a good un. It happens all the time.

i think you read to much mate, things aint black and white , exertion , like when kids come in from being out side all day and fall straight to sleep, twins ,ones sat on his fat ass on a computer all day the other helping out on the farm from a young age ,would there be a difference. as iv said before your whole body adjusts to what you do when your young , it most be right because when i was young i could never get a girl friend and iv always been none as a wanker to mates

Perhaps you should read more,and then you might learn to make a bit more sense when you write. Things are fairly black and white with rearing pups. Just like kids they need freedom to gallop,play and sleep,preferably in the warmer months for pups.If you do not have room at home to provide that then you need to take them out into fields everyday to stretch. What they do not need and should not have is over exertion. That is to say too much. Simple...for most anyway. btw an Ass is a donkey. I think you mean Arse!

what about kids, football boxing and all the other sports ,the ones who make it to the top ,do you know what they go through before there 14 and some much younger ,there super fit, and they have to work their guts out to get there, do they end up in wheel chairs by the time their 30,its ok to do it to kids but not pups , i bet you like most on here think the moons made of cheese

I made a comment earlier about kids. I can't see the difference myself. My littleun runs cross country, swims, goes boxing, walks miles upon miles with me and the dogs, comes cycling with me and the dogs. Some days she is shattered and gets home and sleeps. Is she gonna be crippled in a few years? Her growth plates haven't set? All the government bang on about is giving kids excersise. Are they wrong???

I know people will say she isn't doing an adults job, but when she runs at school or swims she is doing so as fast as she can. Pushing her body as far as she can.

That pup isn't pushing its body very far running couple rabbits, nor is he doing an adults job.