I Just Couldnt Help Myself, I Just Had To Try It.

Dogs heart and lungs are not developed until 18months to 2years. Over exertion can not only cause physical but also mental damage. Pups should do no more than play run. Being pushed to over exert is bad for them. Biggest cause of defeat in a dog is lack of wind.no matter what the quarry. A dog is not capable of being fully fitness trained until it has finished growing inside its body aswell as out.

You can ruin a good un. It happens all the time.

BS Never heard so much shite in all my life, If you don’t have time to take your dog out, sell it someone who has. Please don’t breed your kids will be stuck in the house until they are 21.[/size]

Injury prone dogs are more to do with genetics, badly bred curs, and bad luck. You haven’t seen many farm dogs grow up have you? [/size]

A working sheep dog will do more miles in a week than any dog on here (unless you work dogs for a living like Ken). They get started training at 3-4 months, with hard training coming 6-8 months. Funny how the countryside isn't full of f****d and crippled sheep dogs isn't it?

I've seen on many Ozzie sites the lads start working their pigs dogs at 4-6 months. Even seen some out at 3 months. I'd reckon that a feral pig is more of a challenge than a couple of summer rabbits. Them pig dogs seem to work well to 10 and beyond.

I don't think he still posts here, but UphillDoc and Dan Edwards all started their dogs young. Again, plains coyotes will be rougher on a dog than some half grown rabbits.

Are all of these people doing it wrong?!

• Like 2

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If your going to start them young then do it properly and forget silly pissy rabbits get them pulling some proper gear .......  

with the season drawing closer and my new pup getting bigger by the day i have been looking forward to the start of the season, and that first night of light rain and wind.   yesterday mornings for

There has always been a reluctance to risk spoiling/souring a race dog or hare coursing prospect, by overmatching it at an early age,..but, jukels destined to be roustabout catch dogs ,...LURCHERS,...

Posted Images

I guess it depends what this chat is all about. Trigger had a trundle out with his dog who looks a sturdy type at a couple of easy rabbits he selected no harm. My dog hurt him self at 7 months and it wasnt no trundle and the same run at 12 months chances are he would have been fine. They are two completely different scenarios but having experienced that I would all ways err on the side of caution if i ever had a young dog again.

Saying that i never had a choice in the matter any way so your screwed any way some times :laugh:

Edited by terryd
  • Like 1

Dogs heart and lungs are not developed until 18months to 2years. Over exertion can not only cause physical but also mental damage. Pups should do no more than play run. Being pushed to over exert is bad for them. Biggest cause of defeat in a dog is lack of wind.no matter what the quarry. A dog is not capable of being fully fitness trained until it has finished growing inside its body aswell as out.

BS Never heard so much shite in all my life, If you don’t have time to take your dog out, sell it someone who has. Please don’t breed your kids will be stuck in the house until they are 21.[/size]

Injury prone dogs are more to do with genetics, badly bred curs, and bad luck. You haven’t seen many farm dogs grow up have you? [/size]

A working sheep dog will do more miles in a week than any dog on here (unless you work dogs for a living like Ken). They get started training at 3-4 months, with hard training coming 6-8 months. Funny how the countryside isn't full of f****d and crippled sheep dogs isn't it?

I've seen on many Ozzie sites the lads start working their pigs dogs at 4-6 months. Even seen some out at 3 months. I'd reckon that a feral pig is more of a challenge than a couple of summer rabbits. Them pig dogs seem to work well to 10 and beyond.

I don't think he still posts here, but UphillDoc and Dan Edwards all started their dogs young. Again, plains coyotes will be rougher on a dog than some half grown rabbits.

are you trying to compare a sheepdogs work or a pig dog with that of a lurcher.?fine train it at 4 months but he worked his at 4 months.

A dog be it a terrier or lurcher ether wants it or not in my opinion -no amount of feeding,exercise or holding back is going to polish a turd.atb dc

So on that note all working dogs should be tested early to see if their worth keepin ,

And if your disappointed with a pups effort of wanting it ?? Where do ya go from there

not looking for an argument pal-it's ether fit for the purpose or not-the op has had success with starting others the same way and is no young chav-if it works for him then who am I to knock him? 2 poxy rabbits I smell a whiff of jealousy lol-if most on here got out with their dogs then they may catch a few themselves;).not as if he got a long list of failed dogs that he's peddled on lol.you will all still be on here bitching come the season- like you have last few months when you could of been out getting some positive experiences with your pups.atb dc
  • Like 3

BS Never heard so much shite in all my life, If you dont have time to take your dog out, sell it someone who has. Please dont breed your kids will be stuck in the house until they are 21.[/size]

Injury prone dogs are more to do with genetics, badly bred curs, and bad luck. You havent seen many farm dogs grow up have you? [/size]

I don't think they are mate ?

I've done it both ways, started them young and waited, I've learned the hard way what works.

IMO running a dog too young is as bad as running a dog in the summer heat and can take the edge off them but getting a pup out young educating it and using field craft to show the pup scent, game runs, different terrain, differant situations and everything but game to run intentionally is all good.

A pup started running young might be a different dog if it was started at a later age but will it have lost its edge or gained from its experience? Who knows! Every pup and owner different but I do think, with running there no experience a younger dog can have that it could not experienced later on in life when its a stronger robust animal making things easier for man and dog to keep winning, leaving more time for training.

• Like 1

well if it works for them. i wont knock it. its just not for me :thumbs: its just a debate not a bitching session. these are the sort of things that should get aired on a forum about running dogs. there are a lot of folk with young pups on this site so its especially relevent. trigger might get his own back yet if i let my young pup loose early. :D . after all she is already coursing my terriers. good luck in the coming season to all the young guns :yes:

• Like 1

BS Never heard so much shite in all my life, If you don’t have time to take your dog out, sell it someone who has. Please don’t breed your kids will be stuck in the house until they are 21.[/size]Injury prone dogs are more to do with genetics, badly bred curs, and bad luck. You haven’t seen many farm dogs grow up have you? [/size]

are you trying to compare a sheepdogs work or a pig dog with that of a lurcher.?fine train it at 4 months but he worked his at 4 months.

A pig dog is just a heavy lurcher.

A fair proportion of a sheepdog's work consists of sharp sprints. They can be called upon to catch sheep and pull them over in certain situations. They can take some heavy hits from tups and maternal ewes as well. And a fair few will kill foxes. Not all that different I would say, especially when compared to a ferreting dog.

Dogs heart and lungs are not developed until 18months to 2years. Over exertion can not only cause physical but also mental damage. Pups should do no more than play run. Being pushed to over exert is bad for them. Biggest cause of defeat in a dog is lack of wind.no matter what the quarry. A dog is not capable of being fully fitness trained until it has finished growing inside its body aswell as out. You can ruin a good un. It happens all the time.

BS Never heard so much shite in all my life, If you don’t have time to take your dog out, sell it someone who has. Please don’t breed your kids will be stuck in the house until they are 21.[/size]Injury prone dogs are more to do with genetics, badly bred curs, and bad luck. You haven’t seen many farm dogs grow up have you? [/size]
A working sheep dog will do more miles in a week than any dog on here (unless you work dogs for a living like Ken). They get started training at 3-4 months, with hard training coming 6-8 months. Funny how the countryside isn't full of f****d and crippled sheep dogs isn't it?I've seen on many Ozzie sites the lads start working their pigs dogs at 4-6 months. Even seen some out at 3 months. I'd reckon that a feral pig is more of a challenge than a couple of summer rabbits. Them pig dogs seem to work well to 10 and beyond. I don't think he still posts here, but UphillDoc and Dan Edwards all started their dogs young. Again, plains coyotes will be rougher on a dog than some half grown rabbits. Are all of these people doing it wrong?!

You don't have to worried about sheep dogs yapping, jacking, or injuring them self's too much either and they are fairly quick but you don't see them running at break neck speeds and its quarry disappearing down a hole 20yrds away.

Dogs heart and lungs are not developed until 18months to 2years. Over exertion can not only cause physical but also mental damage. Pups should do no more than play run. Being pushed to over exert is bad for them. Biggest cause of defeat in a dog is lack of wind.no matter what the quarry. A dog is not capable of being fully fitness trained until it has finished growing inside its body aswell as out. You can ruin a good un. It happens all the time.

A working sheep dog will do more miles in a week than any dog on here (unless you work dogs for a living like Ken). They get started training at 3-4 months, with hard training coming 6-8 months. Funny how the countryside isn't full of f****d and crippled sheep dogs isn't it?I've seen on many Ozzie sites the lads start working their pigs dogs at 4-6 months. Even seen some out at 3 months. I'd reckon that a feral pig is more of a challenge than a couple of summer rabbits. Them pig dogs seem to work well to 10 and beyond. I don't think he still posts here, but UphillDoc and Dan Edwards all started their dogs young. Again, plains coyotes will be rougher on a dog than some half grown rabbits. Are all of these people doing it wrong?!
You don't have to worried about sheep dogs yapping, jacking, or injuring them self's too much either and they are fairly quick but you don't see them running at break neck speeds and its quarry disappearing down a hole 20yrds away.

Sheep dogs can jack or injure themselves just like any other kind of working dog.

Their quarry might not go down a hole, but they can shoot through a gap or round the side of the dog quick enough.

Forget this 'One man and his dog' bollocks you see on TV and watch a dog working a proper size flock (200+). You will see that it's lots of sprints, twisting and turning.

• Like 3

Sheep dogs can jack or injure themselves just like any other kind of working dog. Their quarry might not go down a hole, but they can shoot through a gap or round the side of the dog quick enough. Forget this 'One man and his dog' bollocks you see on TV and watch a dog working a proper size flock (200+). You will see that it's lots of sprints, twisting and turning.
I never seen a working collie jack but seen a few old dogs that could no longer keep up and plenty none starters. They can injure them self's or be injured but like i said its not somthing you worrie about as it happens rarely compared to running dogs.

They can make plenty sharp runs but that again depends on the flock and the land they are on as a flock worked with a dog daily is a walk in the park compared to a flock brought down off the hills twice a year.

Some farmers particularly the old timers have the same argument we have with our running dogs where as some say start them young and some say a dog should not be trained to sheep until there 16 month - 2 year old.

Also every farmer likes his dog to be a little different to the next farmer depending on the land and what they do, just like lads with running dogs. Some farmers particularly hill farmers like a collie that works wide and comes in where as lowland farmers might have preference to a dog that works tighter in to the flock. Then some farmers might prefer a dog that puts more pressure on than others. Same as our working dogs really everyone likes need something a little different.

• Like 4

Would you put a 6-8 month old greyhound in the traps ? I know sod all about greyhounds but I imagine it would wreck its self pretty quick if it went for it.

But that situation has nothing to do in the slightest with the original post

Edited by terryd

well if it works for them. i wont knock it. its just not for me :thumbs: its just a debate not a bitching session. these are the sort of things that should get aired on a forum about running dogs. there are a lot of folk with young pups on this site so its especially relevent. trigger might get his own back yet if i let my young pup loose early. :D . after all she is already coursing my terriers. good luck in the coming season to all the young guns :yes:

I've had 5 month old pups catch myxie rabbits whilst out mooching by day, and I usually take pups ferreting by the time they are 5 months old, but I think that is quite different to running on the lamp, at night, when the pup will be less aware of the lumps and bumps in the ground, fences, obstacles etc. If my 5 month old pup was handling itself well by day, out ferreting, and showing real keenness out mooching, not afraid to dive in for a catch when a rabbit is bolted by the terriers from cover, then I might just consider taking it out on the lamp, but only if the land was as safe as can possibly be ...nice grass field, longish grass to slow the rabbits down, no holes, and very green rabbits.

But so much depends on the owner. I hate to think of a very inexperienced owner taking the 'wrong' sort of pup out on the lamp. Some lurchers grow up keeping themselves together well. They don't have phases where they're all legs and no muscle; they don't fall over their feet or tear around running into things, and they don't lose the plot and get ridiculously over-excited at the slightest thing.

If you know what you're doing, and can assess your pup correctly, that's fine, but some can't. I could have lamped Sparrrow at 6 months, and I'm sure she'd have caught the odd green rabbit. She grew up to be just under 23" and never looked spindly or gawky. Hunni, the dog in my avatar, bigger, more sighthound in her, would have looked stupid at that age.

Sparrow at about 6 months

post-5156-0-85849700-1470643147_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

I can't see much difference between taking a pup mooching and letting it chase a bunny that has been put up and lamping a couple of squatters, other than the fact that the squatters will be a darn sight easier for a young dog to catch. I can see the point when people say a young dogs bones aren't fully formed but both mine have been out mooching from the time they had their injections and both have raced round like mad things just for the fun of it from the off. My old dogs 8 now and although he gets nowhere near the work Triggers dogs do he's never had a serious injury other than tears, which I put down to learning how to run rough ground at an early age.

• Like 1