I Just Couldnt Help Myself, I Just Had To Try It.

Its alright taking young pups out and letting them gallop to learn how to run,but the mistake is to carry that on from the age when the pup is getting some muscle but before the growth plates have set at the age of 15 months. A pup chasing at 5 months is a lot less likely to hurt itself seriously than a pup of 10 to 12 months,especially if its been going out a lot and gaining muscle. If that pup is made up of large powerful breeds it will already be able to generate quite a lot of power from its muscle,which is then being exerted on undeveloped joints. This is bad news.. A good sized pup is best started chasing when its growth plates are set not before 15 months. Play galloping is a lot different to chasing live quarry and much less likely to cause injury.

I think the reason why some (not all) have such a cavalier attitude towards rearing young dogs is firstly a grave lack of knowledge and secondly I think the very low cost of lurchers. What I mean is would they be so free with the dogs wellbeing if it had cost say 500 or a 1000quid like a greyhound pup might cost?

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If your going to start them young then do it properly and forget silly pissy rabbits get them pulling some proper gear .......  

with the season drawing closer and my new pup getting bigger by the day i have been looking forward to the start of the season, and that first night of light rain and wind.   yesterday mornings for

There has always been a reluctance to risk spoiling/souring a race dog or hare coursing prospect, by overmatching it at an early age,..but, jukels destined to be roustabout catch dogs ,...LURCHERS,...

Posted Images

Its alright taking young pups out and letting them gallop to learn how to run,but the mistake is to carry that on from the age when the pup is getting some muscle but before the growth plates have set at the age of 15 months. A pup chasing at 5 months is a lot less likely to hurt itself seriously than a pup of 10 to 12 months,especially if its been going out a lot and gaining muscle. If that pup is made up of large powerful breeds it will already be able to generate quite a lot of power from its muscle,which is then being exerted on undeveloped joints. This is bad news.. A good sized pup is best started chasing when its growth plates are set not before 15 months. Play galloping is a lot different to chasing live quarry and much less likely to cause injury.

I think the reason why some (not all) have such a cavalier attitude towards rearing young dogs is firstly a grave lack of knowledge and secondly I think the very low cost of lurchers. What I mean is would they be so free with the dogs wellbeing if it had cost say 500 or a 1000quid like a greyhound pup might cost?

you say lack of knowledge, so i take you've taken pups out from a very young age and they have all had joint trouble ,pups taken out very young do not run flat out its like a game to them there playing ,they live longer look younger and have less joint trouble , bit like humans who's looked after there health, I'm not saying this to stick up for trigger because i think he's a cnt.

• Like 1

you say lack of knowledge, so i take you've taken pups out from a very young age and they have all had joint trouble ,pups taken out very young do not run flat out its like a game to them there playing ,they live longer look younger and have less joint trouble , bit like humans who's looked after there health, I'm not saying this to stick up for trigger because i think he's a cnt.

Why dont you read the post again mate. You have got completely the wrong end of the stick. Please read again to see I am saying just the opposite to how you have understood it.

Jeemes you mention knowledge, surely experience is worth more than knowledge in this game?

Anyone can claim to have knowledge from reading or being told. Like all the lads saying that running dogs too young leads to joint problems. But we haven't got anyone with a single case of a dog that was ran young and had joint problems.

What we have got is a few lads who've posted on here who have consistently ran their dogs young and still have these dogs working 6-7-8-9 seasons later. With no joint problems.

As for the cost of lurchers I think that's absoloute twaddle in this case.

Sure there are newcomers to the game who need to understand that you can't just take a 5 month old pup out on the lamp and all will be well. But when you put the time and effort in like some lads do, and you know the dogs and you know that a few runs isn't going to break them (and it's only going to aid them) then I don't think it's fair to say these lads lack knowledge or don't care about the dogs because they were cheap.

Pups from the age of 3 months should be allowed to run all they want right upto to 15 months. This is play running on turf or beach or similar,and its how they learn to run. They should not be jumping over anything significant. They will learn to stretch out and its vital that they do this if you want to rear a running dog to full potential. Chasing quarry is different for a pup that has grown muscle and gained some power but is still running on unfinished joints.

Jeemes you mention knowledge, surely experience is worth more than knowledge in this game?

Anyone can claim to have knowledge from reading or being told. Like all the lads saying that running dogs too young leads to joint problems. But we haven't got anyone with a single case of a dog that was ran young and had joint problems.

What we have got is a few lads who've posted on here who have consistently ran their dogs young and still have these dogs working 6-7-8-9 seasons later. With no joint problems.

As for the cost of lurchers I think that's absoloute twaddle in this case.

Sure there are newcomers to the game who need to understand that you can't just take a 5 month old pup out on the lamp and all will be well. But when you put the time and effort in like some lads do, and you know the dogs and you know that a few runs isn't going to break them (and it's only going to aid them) then I don't think it's fair to say these lads lack knowledge or don't care about the dogs because they were cheap.

Knowledge should come with experience. The two should go hand in hand.

Please dont take the few on here as the whole world of running dogs,because that is not the case.

Most running dogs WILL have injuries and niggles well before there 6th never mind 7,8,and 9th seasons but most cant spot them,and just assume the dog has slowed up a bit.

As Ive said a 5 month pup running is one thing but when he gets to nine months I would take care.

When we talk about lurchers there is a huge variety in sizes ,weights and levels of power,but has a general rule the growth plates finish development at 15 months,and its in the dogs interest not to put work like pressure on the joints until they have finished growing.Until 15 months think of the joints as gristle and not bone. Im not saying you wont get away with it,but if you are going to rear a pup why not try to do it without taking risks. Just before the dog starts on its running career trying taking the pup to a good bone man and just get him checked over. Some pups aquire injuries from puppyhood and carry them all there lives. That means a niggly nagging pain that they never tell you about but will tell on performance.

There is a man on this site who thought is Bullx had lost interest at the age of five until he found out it was old injury. Probably caused through bad rearing. When he got his next pup he did exactly the same and got the dog injured. Experience = knowledge If only!

Cheep depends what one calls cheep and how much wonga possesses if one may come with nought but can give the welp a damn good try then they should all be free ,but in this world of pedlars chancers etc one needs to put a park ball figure on a welp and that's a working mans price ,meaning just that a man that will give it some work to many in the game for pennies and not for what a lurchers for a poormans helper.aint cheep ta rear a large welp these days monies to some sort everything good feed back good or bad to some his what it's all about but there yas have it I had my little bitch on a free from old buddie but she got the sames has the five hundred quid types ,matter fact they couldn't cut the mustard fa meso. There's we have it would I be worried about a strong type pulling the odd muscle whilst on exercise not me,large types like that animal of trigg without the exercise don't grow right and. Would be an age in finding itself if treated like the conventional running type . Atb bunnys there will be some alsation fifth generation in the spring all being well ,and these will be a working mans price chancers pedlars messers no need to enquire,atb bunnys

Jeems going by your philosophy we shouldn't work our dogs to any quarry until they are 15 months old .... Is that what your saying ?????

That's right socks. Just think how many dogs you have ruined over the years and never even knew it. Lol

• Like 1

Gaz ... Ask trigger what happend to them 3/4 grey 1/4 collie pups he breed out off his dog trigger..the dog trigger a half cross collie x grey .... And what happend to the pup he kept back...

Edited by look up

Here's another take on it for youse too chew over ?

Instead of taking the dog get your mate too come n lamp n you get your shoes off and go do loads of short or longer sprints in your bare feet on your chosen ground, don't forget too run flat out every time lol n don't be pulling up at the summer hawthorns n nettle patches n watch out for them barb wire fences n five bar gates you gotta time em right especially after a few runs back too back lol once you and your mate have done then it's time too decide if it's OK for the pup too get shot thru the same

Just too see like innit lol

Edited by arcticgun
  • Like 3

Gaz ... Ask trigger what happend to them 3/4 grey 1/4 collie pups he breed out off his dog trigger..the dog trigger a half cross collie x grey .... And what happend to the pup he kept back...

the pup was sold as well as the rest of the litter. it was kept back for a while to see how they grew just out of interest.

When I was a kid, there used to be this black belt who looked like steve jacks the karate expert, he taught his young pupils to punch solid objects, said it caused slight stress fractures in the kids hands. And that the human body would make the bones harder and thicker where the stress fractures were to stop them fracturing again. I've heard quite a few athletes do the same, so maybe there is something in running dogs at 7 months on easy rabbits, not the point that it causes damage. It may teach them to roll and slide instead of cart wheel when they fall, maybe.

• Like 1