Can Anyone Help

I was wondering if anyone could help me out I am 25 I have been working lurchers since I was 16 but never really been into terriers until I brought a pup today. I intend to use the pup in time for a bit of bushing for the lurcher. How ever if the dog ever decides to go to ground I would like to have an adequate amount of knowledge tobe able to deal with the situation and who knows maybe get a passion for digging like I have my lurcher work. I live in the west midlands (bewdley) and are really looking for some experienced chaps who could possibly take me out and show me the ropes and the do's and don'ts. I only drive a motorbike but can get any were within reason or the missis can drop me off and pick me up. I understand it is a long shot but if you don't ask you don't get. I am fully aware that people have offered to help people only to find people have gone back to there land after and poached it I am in no way shape or form a c**t like that. As I said I know it's a big ask but I would be grateful for any help cheers.

It strikes me as a lot of talk about helping the sport out and bringing lad's into different aspects of working dogs but no one is willing to show any f****r the ropes but as soon as someone post's "first dig" all the expert's come out the woodwork. You shouldn't do that do it this way that's wrong or dangerous etc. It isn't a massive problem as I am more than willing to go by trail and error and research. People willing to slate people rather than educate them and pass on knowledge sad sad times.

• Like 5

Ferreting newbie as stated I am more than willing to read and learn from books I am in no hurry at all. But I also know I could learn more in a morning out with a bloke with 10 or more seasons under his belt than I will reading a book about a wonder dog. It's all about respect for me mate how the f**k can I enter a dog into something that I have a lack of knowledge and tools to deal with the situation that's not how I role. And I wouldn't dream of entering a dog until I had ability and knowledge to get the job done quickly, safely and humanly. As I said in my first post I am only thinking about this as a worst case scenario.

• Like 1

Plenty of lads on here with experience and knowledge with years of dog work behind them. If you ask for advice you WILL get it eventually, there will be the odd comment but suck them up this is a hunting forum and has a wealth of information you would not get in any book. To expect anyone to offer you a day out or invite you to join their group of friends is a mighty big ask but not impossible. It is no good complaining just bide your time and do your own thing, learning something new all the time, meanwhile just be content to be part of a family of true country people who are there for all of us even if we may think we know it all. ATB

What type of terrier have you bought ?? that would help and put a few pics of you and the dogs, even lurcher pics will give lads an idea what they would be dealing with, I know loads of lads in your area with plenty of terriers, lurchers,etc, that get out plenty but the onus is on you to sell yourself, moaning about experts or seasoned lads will just put people off helping you, if I was closer I'd give you a day out bushing to see what you were like but you have a lot of lads around you and I'm surprised nobody has come forward, WM

• Like 1

I have no knowledge to do with this what so ever but why not look online in other places read other threads on here or at least buy and read books about it first?

id do the same so with that in mind my advice would be get yourself and the dog kitted out and go it alone mate atb

• Like 1

You will learn more reading sensible literature and learning from your own mistakes .

If your new to ferreting , why don't you keep ferreting for a couple of seasons for experience.

Then it's a simple case of swapping the ferret for a terrier as you would be locator savvy by then.

Bitching over lack of response won't help you either it displays impatience.

Atb th.

• Like 2

I had my first dig 8 years ago as a result of a similar topic. I'm very grateful to the gent that took me out and we still hunt together on occasion today.

If you get some land to dig on near you, I'll take a trip up to you and dig with you. Drop me a PM to discuss further.

• Like 3