" Why F.a.c. Air"

The 28fps Rapid is not the be all and end all Mark, it just happens to be a gun in the RFD that I fancy. To be honest, higher fps rated rifles are within reach if I get the FAC but I'm not too concerned if I don't get it and carry on as normal. As already said in the other post, I have seen some lovely FAC air rifles which in my area do not carry a fitting price tag therefore, having an FAC ticket gives me access to some very well priced guns that I may not be able to afford otherwise.

Will having an fac rifle make me a better shot, of course not but it is an aspect of airgun shooting that interests me enough to apply for a ticket. There is little doubt that it will have greater striking power but in no circumstances will it be used to make up for poor marksmanship. In truth, most of my shots on rabbits, corvids and pigeon are no more than 25-40mts but that doesn't remove the fact that I would like to own such a gun and use it for pest control.

I'm not interested in live ammo rifles for two reasons, I have used a .22 rimfire for a few years at a club (not on live quarry) and I am not too sure that all the perm is suited to live ammo use and secondly, I don't want the cost or storage issues that go with them. If I get the FAC it will be only air rifles that I buy.

My pal has an fac .22 air rifle which he uses to very great effect for vermin control and whilst he is a good shot, he is taking rabbits at 70mts quite regularly and I have witnessed this several times. It is true that a sub 12fps could do the same in the right hands (Mitch and others) but I am not in their league just yet so as I do not attempt to shoot them now, the same will be the case if I have FAC until of course skills allow.

I really don't care if people think it is a waste of time going FAC, as long as it has appeal to me, that is what matters. I have just bought a Hatsan semi auto shotgun today for pigeon shooting and for my daughter to use at clays which was impressive on clays this morning but why bother when I already own a £5k gun.............................because I bloody well want to.

Phil

Every one misses 60yrd shots that's normal or we would all be marksmen!!

Look at the 25/30 pellet testing " forget the high one I pulled it"

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The reasons I like fac air is that it's a lot harder hitting, flatter trajectory and less prone to ricochets than .22 lr. Mine doesn't half whack them and surely more retained energy and range is a go

The whole debate only comes about due to this 'legal' word. Would you pick a sub 12ft lbs air rifle for hunting if the none license limit was say 20ft lbs? Or would you complain that an under powered

The 28fps Rapid is not the be all and end all Mark, it just happens to be a gun in the RFD that I fancy. To be honest, higher fps rated rifles are within reach if I get the FAC but I'm not too concern

Posted Images

The 28fps Rapid is not the be all and end all Mark, it just happens to be a gun in the RFD that I fancy. To be honest, higher fps rated rifles are within reach if I get the FAC but I'm not too concerned if I don't get it and carry on as normal. As already said in the other post, I have seen some lovely FAC air rifles which in my area do not carry a fitting price tag therefore, having an FAC ticket gives me access to some very well priced guns that I may not be able to afford otherwise.

Will having an fac rifle make me a better shot, of course not but it is an aspect of airgun shooting that interests me enough to apply for a ticket. There is little doubt that it will have greater striking power but in no circumstances will it be used to make up for poor marksmanship. In truth, most of my shots on rabbits, corvids and pigeon are no more than 25-40mts but that doesn't remove the fact that I would like to own such a gun and use it for pest control.

I'm not interested in live ammo rifles for two reasons, I have used a .22 rimfire for a few years at a club (not on live quarry) and I am not too sure that all the perm is suited to live ammo use and secondly, I don't want the cost or storage issues that go with them. If I get the FAC it will be only air rifles that I buy.

My pal has an fac .22 air rifle which he uses to very great effect for vermin control and whilst he is a good shot, he is taking rabbits at 70mts quite regularly and I have witnessed this several times. It is true that a sub 12fps could do the same in the right hands (Mitch and others) but I am not in their league just yet so as I do not attempt to shoot them now, the same will be the case if I have FAC until of course skills allow.

I really don't care if people think it is a waste of time going FAC, as long as it has appeal to me, that is what matters. I have just bought a Hatsan semi auto shotgun today for pigeon shooting and for my daughter to use at clays which was impressive on clays this morning but why bother when I already own a £5k gun.............................because I bloody well want to.

Phil

Every one misses 60yrd shots that's normal or we would all be marksmen!!

Look at the 25/30 pellet testing " forget the high one I pulled it"

You mentioned storage cost? I guess you're talking about a safe etc. A FAC is a FAC, no mater if is a 13ft lb air rifle or a .308. They will both need the same storage consideration once on a ticket.

• Like 1

The only advantage I can see from fac air to .22 rf is shooting in trees, where a .22 rf would be positively dangerous, from a cost point of view a very decent .22rf can be had on the second hand market for around £150-£200 I would imagine a decent fac pcp would probably cost 3 times that figure, it can never be used without a licence again even if turned back down to 12ftlbs, gunshops seem to charge a premium price for fac air, but come to sell one and they offer next to nothing on the basis that they are hard to sell, if it is a safe shot with a good backstop for an fac air rifle it is a safe shot for a .22rf, or at least that is the way it should be viewed, having said all that, if its an fac air rifle you want then what the hell, get on and enjoy, but personally if I did not have an fac, I would not go through all the hassle of applying for an fac, just to get a bloody air rifle.

• Like 2

Just getting answers for and against Phil. That`s all, - I`ve considered this route a few times myself and have been told don`t bother a lot more than do.

Charlie`s thread is one of the main reasons I got told don't bother going fac air.

Terry Doe did an article on this in the Airgun world mag` I never buy :whistling:

Basically Terry states fac will gain you 20 " accurate, effective"extra yards.

Most fac air turn to .22 cal also.

A good quality sub 12 ft/lbs rifle with good field craft in use will be right up there with fac air and ( for me) the .177 cal I use with ease out to 50 yds but rarely do as I like the static hunting and getting close.

Just us all chucking our thoughts in mate, right or wrong as they may be.

Good debate I think.

• Like 4

Just getting answers for and against Phil. That`s all, - I`ve considered this route a few times myself and have been told don`t bother a lot more than do.

Charlie`s thread is one of the main reasons I got told don't bother going fac air.

Terry Doe did an article on this in the Airgun world mag` I never buy :whistling:

Basically Terry states fac will gain you 20 " accurate, effective"extra yards.

Most fac air turn to .22 cal also.

A good quality sub 12 ft/lbs rifle with good field craft in use will be right up there with fac air and ( for me) the .177 cal I use with ease out to 50 yds but rarely do as I like the static hunting and getting close.

Just us all chucking our thoughts in mate, right or wrong as they may be.

Good debate I think.

No field craft in static hunting

1,,build a hide

2 leave it for a week or two

3 go back and sit in it and wait for them to come to you

thats not called field craft or getting close

its called

HIDE AND SEEK :laugh::tongue2:

atvbmac :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs:

• Like 4

Yep, gets shit results.

post-85710-0-02900600-1469994514.jpg

" only replying like" :laugh:

atb

p.s. a .177 springer er- herm, " £$%^&*() tuned"

Right I`m getting my coat

twat

• Like 4

Phil

SPOT ON PHIL ;)

Some one once ask,d me why do you get so close to the rabbits

and the answer was simple really Phil

because i can

and once more im good at it

and a good few lads have seen me do it

int that right David and daz39

you want it Phil you get it mate

and the next time im down your way ill tell you if its any good :laugh:

atvbmac :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs:

• Like 3

Just a closing comment guys,

I do already have an approved cabinet for my shotguns and the police have done an inspection and advised that I can keep an FAC in that cabinet but would require a second steel cabinet for live ammo and as my wife has a shotgun in that same cabinet, a trigger lock will suffice on an FAC air gun without having to install a separate cabinet.

The point that some of you are missing is that I would like to have an FAC rifle.......................................IT IS THAT SIMPLE and doesn't require justification nor am I wasting my time and should buy a live ammo rifle.............................I don't want one.

I have sub 12 air rifles and really enjoy them but now fancy something slightly different BUT staying with air.

I have reached retirement and to be honest, have to watch the pennies so my plan whilst still young and fit enough to enjoy them is to get the things I would ideally like and set me up for some time to come and again the cost of pellets is a hell of a lot less than live ammo, I buy 12gauge cartridges and that is enough cost for me.

I have seen and spoken to a few guys with FAC air rifles who have NO desire whatsoever to go into live ammo rifles, who enjoy these guns for what they are and I intend to follow in their footsteps providing the grant is given.

Just because some of you don't see the merit of such a route does not mean that you are right and I am wrong, it is simply my choice and not yours.

Phil

• Like 5

Just a closing comment guys,

I do already have an approved cabinet for my shotguns and the police have done an inspection and advised that I can keep an FAC in that cabinet but would require a second steel cabinet for live ammo and as my wife has a shotgun in that same cabinet, a trigger lock will suffice on an FAC air gun without having to install a separate cabinet.

The point that some of you are missing is that I would like to have an FAC rifle.......................................IT IS THAT SIMPLE and doesn't require justification nor am I wasting my time and should buy a live ammo rifle.............................I don't want one.

I have sub 12 air rifles and really enjoy them but now fancy something slightly different BUT staying with air.

I have reached retirement and to be honest, have to watch the pennies so my plan whilst still young and fit enough to enjoy them is to get the things I would ideally like and set me up for some time to come and again the cost of pellets is a hell of a lot less than live ammo, I buy 12gauge cartridges and that is enough cost for me.

I have seen and spoken to a few guys with FAC air rifles who have NO desire whatsoever to go into live ammo rifles, who enjoy these guns for what they are and I intend to follow in their footsteps providing the grant is given.

Just because some of you don't see the merit of such a route does not mean that you are right and I am wrong, it is simply my choice and not yours.

Phil

Just shut up and do it, you know you want to. :laugh: