" Why F.a.c. Air"

One of the lads is thinking of going F.A.C air and mentions,

I`m not going down this avenue to increase range, although, I guess the extra power brings it`s own merits.

The number of times I have thought the same :yes:

So what changed my mind ?

I`m a strong believer in that " accuracy trumps power, always" at airgun ranges.

I don`t want to get into a calibre argument but a rifleman with a sub 12 ft/lb rifle can strike the same targets a 28 ft/lb rifle can.

Shot placement trumps power.

Field craft reduces range considerably and ( for me) field craft is a very large part of the attraction air gun hunting brings.

This will be interesting. :snack:

atb

• Like 2

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The reasons I like fac air is that it's a lot harder hitting, flatter trajectory and less prone to ricochets than .22 lr. Mine doesn't half whack them and surely more retained energy and range is a go

The whole debate only comes about due to this 'legal' word. Would you pick a sub 12ft lbs air rifle for hunting if the none license limit was say 20ft lbs? Or would you complain that an under powered

The 28fps Rapid is not the be all and end all Mark, it just happens to be a gun in the RFD that I fancy. To be honest, higher fps rated rifles are within reach if I get the FAC but I'm not too concern

Posted Images

Paid pest controller would need to get the rabbits and if he's any good he will be a busy man.

He will need to get on and won't have time to sit and wait or take as long getting in close on twitchy rabbits

I must admit I don't really see the point as doubling the power doesn't double the range, and if you want a lot more range, a rimfire is the obvious choice. But if you want to step up to FAC it's not a bad starting point as you won't probably have the restrictions on a FAC air rifle that you would have on a powder burner.

All things said though having a FAC of any description makes you far manlier and attractive to the opposite sex, so maybe that's his reason.

Field craft reduces range considerably and ( for me) field craft is a very large part of the attraction air gun hunting brings.

I agree with that. It's very satisfying just being out and learning the ground and the quarry.

I enjoy the whole process of out smarting the prey on it's own ground and, getting within range for a nice clean shot.

But, as I said on the other thread, I've used a .25 at nearly 50ftlb - that was an awesome bit of kit.

Pellets that big, at that speed - 30-40yrd rabbits barely twitched. We could take birds at 70yrds - at 40yrds, it was knocking them off branches.

Also, it was a lot more forgiving if the shot wasn't quite as clean as planned.

Edited by Jonjon79
  • Like 3

I agree with that. It's very satisfying just being out and learning the ground and the quarry.

I enjoy the whole process of out smarting the prey on it's own ground and, getting within range for a nice clean shot.

But, as I said on the other thread, I've used a .25 at nearly 50ftlb - that was an awesome bit of kit.

Pellets that big, at that speed - 30-40yrd rabbits barely twitched. We could take birds at 70yrds - at 40yrds, it was knocking them off branches.

Does this mean that a larger calibre benefits someone who cant shoot well ? - 22 v .177 :whistling:

and does the extra power enforce that reasoning ?

Going to be a good debate I think.

atb

• Like 1

Does this mean that a larger calibre benefits someone who cant shoot well ? - 22 v .177 :whistling:

atb

I am with you on this Mark :thumbs:

atb

In my opinion, given the difference between .25 fac air and .177/.22 sub 12 - Yes, I think it does make it easier if shooting at similar ranges.

I found that the big impact from a .25 going hell for leather put a rabbit down cleanly as long as it was hit roughly in the right place.

I'm a sub 12 .177 man and, as we all know, for a good clean kill, that pellet has to be spot on.

I think the most difficult is .22 in sub 12 because of the trajectories involved.

The whole debate only comes about due to this 'legal' word. Would you pick a sub 12ft lbs air rifle for hunting if the none license limit was say 20ft lbs? Or would you complain that an under powered air gun was being used on live quarry? It will be interesting to see what happens in Scotland to all the 12ft lbs air rifles. Why pay a hefty license fee when you can get a SGC and include a 100ft lbs FAC air rifle for the same amount of hassle?

• Like 7

I'm a pretty good shot, I use both .177 and .22 but I'm not going to say I hit everything as I'm hoping too!

And if other ppl say they don't miss or injure the quarry there full of sh!t

I hit a woody the other week, the shot was a good chest shot that stripped the bird of nearly every feather on is chest, I took a photo to show my mate, it was shot at about 25m it flew off, it didn't drop as it was in a large open field and I was watching!

So is there a call for a bit more power?! I think it won't do any harm

Atb si

I would like fac air

BUT

A SUB 12 AIR RIFLE

CAN DO A LOT MORE THAN PEOPLE THINK

IV SEEN IT ,,,IV DONE IT ,,,AND IT AMAZED ME AT WHAT YOU CAN ACHIEVE WITH SUB 12

ATVBMAC :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs:

• Like 2

The 28fps Rapid is not the be all and end all Mark, it just happens to be a gun in the RFD that I fancy. To be honest, higher fps rated rifles are within reach if I get the FAC but I'm not too concerned if I don't get it and carry on as normal. As already said in the other post, I have seen some lovely FAC air rifles which in my area do not carry a fitting price tag therefore, having an FAC ticket gives me access to some very well priced guns that I may not be able to afford otherwise.

Will having an fac rifle make me a better shot, of course not but it is an aspect of airgun shooting that interests me enough to apply for a ticket. There is little doubt that it will have greater striking power but in no circumstances will it be used to make up for poor marksmanship. In truth, most of my shots on rabbits, corvids and pigeon are no more than 25-40mts but that doesn't remove the fact that I would like to own such a gun and use it for pest control.

I'm not interested in live ammo rifles for two reasons, I have used a .22 rimfire for a few years at a club (not on live quarry) and I am not too sure that all the perm is suited to live ammo use and secondly, I don't want the cost or storage issues that go with them. If I get the FAC it will be only air rifles that I buy.

My pal has an fac .22 air rifle which he uses to very great effect for vermin control and whilst he is a good shot, he is taking rabbits at 70mts quite regularly and I have witnessed this several times. It is true that a sub 12fps could do the same in the right hands (Mitch and others) but I am not in their league just yet so as I do not attempt to shoot them now, the same will be the case if I have FAC until of course skills allow.

I really don't care if people think it is a waste of time going FAC, as long as it has appeal to me, that is what matters. I have just bought a Hatsan semi auto shotgun today for pigeon shooting and for my daughter to use at clays which was impressive on clays this morning but why bother when I already own a £5k gun.............................because I bloody well want to.

Phil

Edited by philpot
  • Like 7