What Makes A Top Class Dog?

Now I don't mean the food you put in when the dog is a puppy all though that is very important or how you bring the dog up, autopsy results on race horses show that the top class ones hearts are invariably up to 40% bigger than ordinary ones and therefore can pump more oxygenated blood around the body more efficiently, moreover this means more red blood cells can carry oxygen around the body thus allowing the animal to run faster for longer, so if this is the case how long will it be before a simple blood or DNA test will show these markers from an early age.

Maybe not in the next 5-10 years or even at all for dogs but I know the thoroughbred scientists have been working on this for some time.

It would certainly make things a lot easier but not as much fun I expect.

• Like 1

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

What makes a top class dog? Story telling, exaggerating and boasting on THL forum.

Bigger hearts are made as well as inherited though. After all the heart is a muscle like any other . Of course genetics come to play, but the greyhound has a huge heart and they may contribute. But t

a race is won in a particular moment in time u could cloane a 1000 dogs horses humans etc never to win again because circumstanses would be different on that particular day or year it just isnt achiva

Bigger hearts are made as well as inherited though. After all the heart is a muscle like any other . Of course genetics come to play, but the greyhound has a huge heart and they may contribute.

But the muscle type plays a huge role too.

The combination of the heart and lungs muscle ,conditioning to improve all of those and of course schooling and the dogs will to do the job

• Like 4

I think the dog needs a bit of character and just nice to have around regardless of its heart size

Top class dogs are made by top class owners ....

Not always. Plenty of really good dogs owned by complete NUMTIES! Though they would be better if they were owned by better owners :thumbs:

Edited by shaaark

I think you all missed the point here, I'm not talking about rearing or conditioning, surely if it's in the dogs DNA from the beginning then the hard work has been done for you, but unfortunately at the moment there is no test to show this. Some people say the more runs the dog gets the better it will get, but that theory has been disproved over the years, here and there won the Waterloo cup in only the third outing that year and lammtara won the derby on only his second outing, his first run as a three year old. I could name literally hundreds of top class horses, dogs and humans who are better with less runs, so I believe if it's not there in the first place it never will be, no matter who owns or trains it.

This article is only hypothetical as I'm not a molecular scientists but surely it won't be too long before some breeders will be selling pups with a DNA backing.

But I do agree that as long as you love your dogs it doesn't matter a jot.

Now I don't mean the food you put in when the dog is a puppy all though that is very important or how you bring the dog up, autopsy results on race horses show that the top class ones hearts are invariably up to 40% bigger than ordinary ones and therefore can pump more oxygenated blood around the body more efficiently, moreover this means more red blood cells can carry oxygen around the body thus allowing the animal to run faster for longer, so if this is the case how long will it be before a simple blood or DNA test will show these markers from an early age.

Maybe not in the next 5-10 years or even at all for dogs but I know the thoroughbred scientists have been working on this for some time.

It would certainly make things a lot easier but not as much fun I expect.

id say theyre none the wiser after all the research..j bolger was getting better results before he set up equinome..aclydesdales heart is 3 or 4 times the size...provrn sire and dam and lots of luck

not in any particular order but i think you can do something with a allround working dog thats got these to start with.

1 good feet

2 decent inteligence

3 decent coat and skin

good feet are up there amongst the top few important things in a working dog. i also like a good brain and skin and coat on a dog aswell if you have got those then you can work on developing the heart and lungs with plenty of exercise. and just bring the dog on sensible