Buccleuch Springer

Well I just googled the breed and it says buccleuch English Springer Spaniel. Fact is English Springer Spaniel. Look at the breeding which includes, arguably, the best recent breeder, Ian Openshaw, so in fact as I said, the name is just a means to an end. This guy is using 3 known lines to comfort himself with a 'New Breed' of spaniel. At the end of the day they are what they are. Why blouse them up. Would you pay more for a buccleuch pup than an ordinary one from the Sporting gun classifieds or Countryman Weekly? I sincerely doubt it.

• Like 1

Well I just googled the breed and it says buccleuch English Springer Spaniel. Fact is English Springer Spaniel. Look at the breeding which includes, arguably, the best recent breeder, Ian Openshaw, so in fact as I said, the name is just a means to an end. This guy is using 3 known lines to comfort himself with a 'New Breed' of spaniel. At the end of the day they are what they are. Why blouse them up. Would you pay more for a buccleuch pup than an ordinary one from the Sporting gun classifieds or Countryman Weekly? I sincerely doubt it.

I get what your saying jok the one i have is a fathers day present and the best present ive ever got if im truthfull and in more than hoppy with his progress at five momths old hes no problem smashing cover for rabbits uses his nose well swims well im not saying there the best out there i can only call what i see and my pup is showing all the signs of a good dog sure why should someone buy your ferret boxes when they could shove them in a cornflakes box they will both hold a ferret

• Like 2

I had the pleasure of meeting, and sharing a couple meals with David Lisett about 5 years ago. He's a good trainer and knows Springers. I've seen a few Buccluech dogs over here, and they've all been nice, hard working, well bred dogs. When it comes to sporting dogs I believe in finding a proven line (like Buccluech) and getting a dog with all the right stuff bred into it. Buccluech isn't the only reputable, proven, winning breeder around, but one certainly won't be disappointed with a dog out of that kennel. And while we have all heard the story of the backyard bred prodigy, well,....good stuff ain't cheap, and cheap stuff ain't good is the philosophy I use.

Of course, your mileage (or kilometers, as the case may be) may vary.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Not sure how much mis-information you can put in 1 post but good effort.

Is Ian Openshaw the best recent breeder of any type of spaniels? I think even Ian would perhaps state not, he is however the most successful trainer of dogs out there.

"This guy" I assume you are referring to is Davie Lissett? Davie doesn't own the Buccleuch Affix, the Duke does. Davie is a brilliant trainer & one of the nicest blokes you could meet so not sure why you feel the need to slag him off?

Would I pay more for a Buccleuch pup rather than one out the magazines? That completely depends on the breeding of the pups just as you will pay a premium for a pup from one of the dogs Opie has made up to FTCH.

• Like 3

Butcherboy. Maybe I didn't word it correctly because that post wasn't meant to slag anyone off. I'm sure Dave is a brilliant trainer as is Ian Openshaw who I have been with on many occasions and indeed whilst a coupling was going on. No. What I was trying to say , even now it sounds wrong, is that a Springer Spaniel is what it is. It is not a Buccleugh spaniel even if the biggest landowner in the UK owns the name, no offence meant.