Fruit Vodka For The Cold Weather.

Here we go again. This year I have black currant, gooseberry, raspberry, black cherry and strawberry vodka on the go. Just used the cheap vodka but I can't foresee a problem. Got about 8 litres in total so I reckon we'll do ok with the hip flasks. Just had a lovely young multi dropped off so once again the pies are up and running. Happy days. Jok.

Here we go again. This year I have black currant, gooseberry, raspberry, black cherry and strawberry vodka on the go. Just used the cheap vodka but I can't foresee a problem. Got about 8 litres in total so I reckon we'll do ok with the hip flasks. Just had a lovely young multi dropped off so once again the pies are up and running. Happy days. Jok.

Like the sound of some of these,are they the same method as sloe gin,fruit,sugar and vodka and leave for a few months? So these will be ready for the cold weather in a hip flask,do you beat or are they for when your out and about?

Also,i can't remember if I've asked before but which gin do you do sloe with,cheap or not? Don't want to wait only to have it come out awful!

And when you say cheap vodka,how cheap is cheap cus I'll look at knocking up a batch of one of these...

I generally use as good a gin as is affordable since this is for my own use. The vodka I get comes in 1.5 ltrs , Chekov from the likes of Bookers. I've downsized the sugar content to 1/2 pond per bottle but use more fruit which I leave till the colour runs out.6/8 weeks. Bung in the vodka and put away in a dark place till November. Must say that I strain at least 3 times through muslin and I've heard that the Strawberry can be a bugger to get clear. Jok.

• Like 1

Like the sound of some of these,are they the same method as sloe gin,fruit,sugar and vodka and leave for a few months? So these will be ready for the cold weather in a hip flask,do you beat or are they for when your out and about?

Also,i can't remember if I've asked before but which gin do you do sloe with,cheap or not? Don't want to wait only to have it come out awful!

And when you say cheap vodka,how cheap is cheap cus I'll look at knocking up a batch of one of these...

. I make sloe vodka every winter, excactly the same as sloe gin, but vodka from aldi a tenner a litre instead of gin, job done, I,m going to try it with rose hips this winter as I make rose hip syrup every winter

Aldi's own brand London gin beat many well known brands in a blind taste test a couple of years ago. Been using it for sloes and goosebs since. It's called something 'quintessentially english' like Cromwell or Waterloo.

Cheap vodka I use supermarket basic range.

Greyman, any particular hips? I use just wild briar thingies for jellies, but my daughter swears by rosa rugosa for chutney.

• Like 1

Aldi's own brand London gin beat many well known brands in a blind taste test a couple of years ago. Been using it for sloes and goosebs since. It's called something 'quintessentially english' like Cromwell or Waterloo.

Cheap vodka I use supermarket basic range.

Greyman, any particular hips? I use just wild briar thingies for jellies, but my daughter swears by rosa rugosa for chutney.

I'll be having a look in aldi when I pass by,usually alright stuff from there been though it's cheap...

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...