Rock Piles

• Replies 344
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

pic of sons dog last week at show 8 years old that was his first show looks like Mick dog smooth coated very steady in his work but gets the job done

Here is pic of Kirstysdads old dog..   Dog was a real Legend and worked up to a ripe old age, I was lucky enough to get a lining of this dog    

Great post.... Black and Tan the Father to Kirstysdads dog and the red terrier is his brother. Both doing the job  

Posted Images

back probably about 25 years old dog died last year aged 17 had a dig to him at 16 still loved it but slowed right down put still got the job done between us we have got 8 or 9. Sons daugters and grandkids he came of a dog called jack. And his mother's was called molly if memory serves me correctly jacks dad was Parkes dog called toby would leave to have a look to be 100/per cent

• Like 1

its amazing how many folk have the same theories/stories of the old fell hunters from books, for rockpiles that yous cant dig yous all seem to have xray vision... no disrespect but how can yous even let on yous know whats going on?

I go out equipped to tackle most stuff & out to work dogs and if its realistic no problem, but not all... If farmer or keeper walked me up to a rockpile with my terrier that looked like id never see her/him again and said that's the only hole in the area... say what you like but im heading back to vehicle terrier on lead.... and suggest a few different ways that the predator could be controlled humanely and safely.

stop end I had the sire of Russell tucks bitch if he could get to his fox he would kill it simple as the dog was 3/4 bedlington1/4 Lakeland and when he was in the ground many times over night sometimes days he would eat some of the fox plenty of pics on working bedlingtons on here mate atb
I know a few terriers that are able to dispatch a fox underground, the reason i know this is because when there dug out they are with there fox and i have witnessed it. Yous are saying your terrier does this and that in the rocks and what im saying is unless you get to your dog in the rocks yous havent a flying notion whats going on down there. Just cos a dog has a few marks after running rocks yous only assume hes killed the fox... and i have not seen 1 picture of any bedlingtons anywhere even to ground with a fox!

In many an instance id concur with much of that,yet many of us have terriers that we know,if they come away the fox is dead,fact.A Beddy/Fell that my lad works kills far to easily below,if he cannot pull the fox out he leaves it,if he vacates without a bolt or the assistance of a shovel,the fox is dead.Ive worked bedlingtons for a year or 30 and ill guarantee you or anybody else will never have seen a pic,above or below,of any of my terriers in the field,rock or muck.Obviously without the proof of a pic you will guarantee my mutts cannot graft,im happy enough with that.

• Like 3

Don't get me wrong I know the whole country sees bad weather from time to time but on the fell and moors it can be a hostile place it can be fine one minute an hour or so later hail and thunder storms or blizzard like conditions both man and dog have to be up for the job a good coat on a dog is a must for me I had a Russell afew years ago that worked well in the ground and rocks but on the open hill and high ground the weather would punish her the bitch not so much the cold but the wind and driving rain atb rt

the fells feel cold because of the openness of the landscape, just like any other remote open area of the country. It doesn't matter were you are, if it's cold wet and windy you'll feel it if your stood around.

Another reason i like rock piles,if the weather turns its easy to find shelter.

The bedlingtons that worked rocks were they big dogs or smaller than the types now and even though if they got to fox and killed it what happened if they couldnt get there would they stay and die trying to push on or would they come away after a few hours. I admire these rock dogs and i think the earth diggers probably think a stayer wouldnt get the job done and class the rock dog as a jacker. For example a young late born fox in september goes to ground in a cliff face would you drop in a large type bedlington fox slayer with little chance of pushing on and risk losing the dog. Its an interesting topic and lads should ask genuine questions to get genuine answers instead of playing the what i have is better than yours games.

Any terrier that worked rocks on a regular basis needed the frame to fit the work,id not go near rocks with the majority of the barrel chested,short coupled brutes bred now,a dog higher on the leg with a good length,slat ribbed and agile,many a Lakey and Fell were bred this way only in the not to distant past,the Beddy and its hybrids is readily suited to this type of work,im not talking about the over-sized and heavy Beddy,s bred now,or in the past,they were as useless then as they are now.You only need to look at the average terriers breeding to realise the vast majority bred now are unsuited to their working ancestry and habitat.

• Like 1

Yes. Parkes and ward mainly met the fella who bred him at the Peterborough festival of hunting couple of weeks ago he kept sister and pups of her now gifted a pup to my pal all the same breeding as we have got so fingers crossed if it does ok something to fold back in

how are the pups off the old dog going?

The bedlingtons that worked rocks were they big dogs or smaller than the types now and even though if they got to fox and killed it what happened if they couldnt get there would they stay and die trying to push on or would they come away after a few hours. I admire these rock dogs and i think the earth diggers probably think a stayer wouldnt get the job done and class the rock dog as a jacker. For example a young late born fox in september goes to ground in a cliff face would you drop in a large type bedlington fox slayer with little chance of pushing on and risk losing the dog. Its an interesting topic and lads should ask genuine questions to get genuine answers instead of playing the what i have is better than yours games.

Any terrier that worked rocks on a regular basis needed the frame to fit the work,id not go near rocks with the majority of the barrel chested,short coupled brutes bred now,a dog higher on the leg with a good length,slat ribbed and agile,many a Lakey and Fell were bred this way only in the not to distant past,the Beddy and its hybrids is readily suited to this type of work,im not talking about the over-sized and heavy Beddy,s bred now,or in the past,they were as useless then as they are now.You only need to look at the average terriers breeding to realise the vast majority bred now are unsuited to their working ancestry and habitat.
good post chum ; I'm glad you said it

Yes. Parkes and ward mainly met the fella who bred him at the Peterborough festival of hunting couple of weeks ago he kept sister and pups of her now gifted a pup to my pal all the same breeding as we have got so fingers crossed if it does ok something to fold back in

Lost a dog of him last year to work he was7 and doing well my son has a dogf of same litter nearly 8 we dig a lot with him steady as they come my digging mate has dog there neary 10still going strong and busterbuster has 2 of him they must be 5now both do well his mate has litter brother and he is happy with it I had bitch of same litter came up small for what I wanted fella in the midlands has her now she turned out a good foxing bitch

• Like 1

Lost a dog of him last year to work he was7 and doing well my son has a dogf of same litter nearly 8 we dig a lot with him steady as they come my digging mate has dog there neary 10still going strong and busterbuster has 2 of him they must be 5now both do well his mate has litter brother and he is happy with it I had bitch of same litter came up small for what I wanted fella in the midlands has her now she turned out a good foxing bitch
Great to hear he's throwing quality pups....the line continues!
  • Like 1