What Do Think Of This Fella

He's got one of them voices. Just drones on and turns into noise. I managed 45 seconds sorry. Lol

Yeah,..the guy has an annoying way about him,...you must have an amazing concentration span Gaz,..you beat me by 40 seconds :D

Rewarding a young pup with a treat is,..a short cut..

It is no substitute for harnessing prey drive and what is to come later,.but it does get the ball rolling...

I'm not going to go into how I prefer to school a work type lurcher,...other than to say,...the biggest problem for newbies to the game ,..is in choosing the wrong tool for the job...or worst still,.moving the goal posts...

Some lads start off just wanting a wee mouching/ferreting cur,.then suddenly ask it to metomophose into a Hare killer and Fallow Buck slayer...It can happen I suppose, but far better to select a dog for a certain task..

It sure makes life a whole lot easier.. :laugh:

For example,.I just need a dog to work hedgerows/woodland/brash, etc in search of coney...

Now, on certain terrains and well stocked areas,.this is not a hard task to achieve,..but the entire scenario changes drasticaly, when,..A. You are getting paid for doing it (pressure :blink: ) or, B, there are only a tiny handful of nuicence pests to remove...

In this case, a lurcher must hunt like a spaniel and respond to instruction, like a Sheepdog..

So,.a well, trained, educated, schooled jukel is essential,...the dog simply must know the score, or it is of no fecking use,..just an ornament. I find the easiest way to achieve my goal is to make the entire excersise a game, good craic for the dog and more importantly, to use an animal for the task it is best suited to ...and if I need to get his head up at an early age,..then tricks or treats will do nicely... :yes:

I do get what the guy is on about,...and there are several instances where too many wee gifts will mess up a dog's head,...but,. as with all forms of training,.it is usually all about TIMING....

Unfortunately,..like some comedians, some folk have lousy timing... :thumbs:

Edited by Phil Lloyd
  • Like 3

Whoops all my pups get to run wild ! For 8 weeks old I just let the fecking thing do what I wants don't get me wrong I do the basics around the yard recall and retrieving otherwise their left to hunt and mooch as they like ! Everyone has their own ways

• Like 5