What Do Think Of This Fella

Well I enjoy this fellas videos he really thinks about what he is saying the clips a bit long but I like it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L3HRL_ZerZ4

After spending the last two and a half years making a hash of training my dog if I am honest lol. I now see and hear things and think that makes a lot of sense. So I have learnt a lot but only by going wrong. A friend said to me at the beginning I don't use treats because i like the dog to be focused on me and not the treats and looking back I think his right .

• Like 2

..but they don't have a choice with us humans they are stuck with us !

My dogs get treats but they look to me because I control all that is good in their life

I am shite hunter compared to all my dogs..no way they will follow me on the hunt haha

nonsense, he needs to go study wolves a bit more as they do not do that to a six week old pup

please don't listen to this tit! all it works to do is scare a pup ,, Maybe he should stop imagining FFS I can't

believe I just wasted my time listening to him! We are no not actually living in the wild ,,,

and treat trainers use electric collars ...god the man is an idiot!

I haven' actually worked out what he does, give the pup a hard smack to really scare them ???

Edited by spookster1
  • Like 2

I always try to approach things with an open mind, and look at things from their perspective, that being said I have watched a few of his videos and he does make some valid points , overall just not my cup of tea.

I don't think he clouts them at all spookster that was an example.

When I look back I know have dropped few clangers for sure like never ask the dog to do some thing you cant enforce so it can't ignore you. Never put the dog in a position where you know it may fail like march it through sheep off lead as a pup when you haven't conditioned it in the first place properly. Oh and never lose your rag :doh:

Also never let the dog run wild like an idiot so it thinks thats the norm. All basic stuff but I am guilty of all the above :laugh:

As said no one is right about every thing but you can pick up snippets of info from various sources and its rings a bell with you

Edited by terryd

I've not watched the video so can't comment on that, but I personally don't use food rewards for training.

As some of you know I'm a teacher in an infant school. When I started working in the foundation stage I had some HighScope training which is against giving out stickers and the like to kids and encouraging them to learn new skills because they want to. My kids' school uses a similar approach which they refer to as intrinsic motivation. I've heard from a third party that the head-teachers in the local secondary schools claim they can tell which kids come from that school as they tackle their learning in a more positive way.

Now, I know that dogs' minds work differently to ours but I personally find that a dog which does something because it wants to do it will do it more effectively than a dog which does something because it wants a biscuit for doing it...it also means I don't have crumbs in my pockets!

• Like 2

Only time I really use treats is when getting the recall basics down with pups, the rest of their training is done with praise as their only reward. Build a good strong bond with them and that's all they'll need as motivation :yes:

• Like 1

say it as it is lol :laugh:

Something that really boils my piss, you want to interact with a dog you ask the fecking owner first.

Even better when they take it as some kind of macho challenge when you tell them it's not friendly :huh:

• Like 3