Old Chicken Run, What Veg?

Ok folks, I have access to a fenced off area roughly 3 metre square. Uses to have chickens on it but due to fox predation is now empty.

Seriously thinking about digging this area over and perhaps planting some veg in it come next spring.

Any tips/pros/cons on this idea and also what veg would be best?

You can get outdoor varieties of cucumber and tomatoes. i have had a plot for nearly 30 years and tried most things. Only my opinion while its your first year just grow the vegatables which to enjoy to eat the most. Theres a whole list to go into soil types for different crops etc weeding, feeding, pest control of plants, you never stop learning a intresting hobby. Good luck. :thumbs:

• Like 1

Cucumbers and tomatoes ok outdoors mate?

Sorry for silly question just I've only ever grown spuds and carrots before and always remember my grandads toms and cumbers in a greenhouse

tbh if you're in Scotland I wouldn't waste my time with outdoor tomatoes - they'll almost certainly be a disappointment.

• Like 1

Rough dig it, double dig it if you can be bothered. Leave the Winter to break it up. Then plant tates, tates are good for new soil.

Yeah I'm definitely going to plant maybe half of it in tatties. Other half maybe a mix of carrots, leafy greens etc (hopefully)

What about onions lads, do I sow them from seeds or am I best buying them in bulb form?

I prefer bulb

Though don't forget some of the veg you buy if you don't use it an it starts sprouting ,plant it,I've done it with spuds. My dad told me his grandad would peel a potato that had a chit on it ,plant it an grow plant from that.