Got My Plummer Back...

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I have posted in the lost and found section but I know not everyone checks that so posting here too.   Just got my little Plummer back this evening after 5 and half days missing.   Thank you to

I am dead serious it's an amazing feat ... I mean a Plummer terrier that actually went to ground ... Truly amazing .........

Fluids fluids fluids mate ... Get her rehydrated food can wait until tomorrow ... Small meals often for the first day or two then build her up .......

I suppose some just prefer a busher who can flush and then go to ground after the quarry maybe?? Sort of kill two bird with one stone . Me myself love the way a spaniel works and theres no way id buy a busher soley for bushing purposes

Yeh that makes sense mate fair play. I love ratting and had the terrier for a bit of that aswell. But then I shoot a bit so spaniel could come in handy for that. Although the plummer picks up for me air rifle shooting.

Each to there own mate my pal has a sprocker mustard on the rats c**t trys to eat them lol he also has a pug/russell thats a animal on them too bushes and goes to ground lol some sight to see

Haha I think there are all sorts of weird and wonderful crosses out there doing a job. I love seeing that Pom of Fujis.

• Like 3

Id be gutted if the bitch ran away over the horizon wearing a brand new bellman and flint imagine after searching for 5 days that you never got your collar back.

Lol there's always that possibility fella. Like I've said a few times mate I don't know if a locator would of helped me on this occasion. Unless she was in an earth less than 50m away from the furthest earth I checked on the land then the bellman might of assisted. But we will never know... At least then I won't be wondering what if or thinking I could of done more.

Missus is paying for the bellman and flint. Her treat she says. Late birthday present. So doesn't matter too much anyway. Haha.

Great news gaz, myn is a cxnt for dropping in on mooches, my next busher will be a spanial or a spanial X terrier I'm finding more and more that terriers are great dogs for above ground work but they can go missing very quickly.

Ive said before I don't think a spaniel will touch this Plummer for working cover around here. But she has been ranging a bit far recently and working more for herself than for me. And this last week was the result. Which is where the spaniels come into their own I guess.

I keep spaniels Gaz and do a fair amount of rough shooting and beating. As yet, I've not seen a terrier as good as a spaniel for hunting cover and finding game.

• Like 3

The terrier I had used to have hunted like a little hound once he picked up a line that was it he would follow the rabbit until he got it to ground which was ideal if they were a bit thin on the ground and ideal for ferreting. If he hit the scent of a fox though you would just see a little white spec going over the horizon :doh:

But when it came to finding stuff I doubt he would have been beaten and back then digging foxes used to be good fun anyway. But hunting like a little hound by the sound of it is what got this little one in bother.

Never had a working spaniel but from what I see you train them to quarter with in a certain range and I guess like any dog they will mark a rabbit to ground if ferreting is your thing. But what I guess is more import is you have control over them unlike your average terrier and they won't go to ground

We have a 10 year old pet cocker never trained or hunted but he ozzes the will to work and to be instructed even now. Don't think I have ever seen him walk any where in 10 years though and his ultra excitable. But with a job to do and training he would been a cracker and his from show stock

Edited by terryd

I have dug my terriers and worked dogs all over the UK myself gaz-all the more reason to teach a terrier to wait until told to enter,or the runners not to touch a cat until told other wise ;) some learn quicker than others,man and dog :).atb dc

So which is it then fella? You work your dogs all over the country or you only work them where you know the location of every single hole like you told me to do earlier?

I'm getting confused here. Lol.

I can't stop her killing ferrets with a shock collar so I don't think I'm gonna stop her dropping below if she wants to go. It's one of the problems with taking on older dogs but I wasn't naive or unaware. It is what it is.

Gaz when you get an invite to somewhere new then the person who's land your on surely knows where the earth's are?been years since I've just rocked up somewhere and cracked on lol ;)I don't run terriers anywhere unless it's on written permission, saves explaining to the plod,landowner why you digging up their land looking for a working terrier with no collar on.shame you don't know for sure if she was stuck on a rabbit or something more worthy.not looking for an argument glad you got a result this time.we meet up and have a days digging in the season.atb dc

I have dug my terriers and worked dogs all over the UK myself gaz-all the more reason to teach a terrier to wait until told to enter,or the runners not to touch a cat until told other wise ;) some learn quicker than others,man and dog :).atb dc

So which is it then fella? You work your dogs all over the country or you only work them where you know the location of every single hole like you told me to do earlier?

I'm getting confused here. Lol.

I can't stop her killing ferrets with a shock collar so I don't think I'm gonna stop her dropping below if she wants to go. It's one of the problems with taking on older dogs but I wasn't naive or unaware. It is what it is.

Gaz when you get an invite to somewhere new then the person who's land your on surely knows where the earth's are?been years since I've just rocked up somewhere and cracked on lol ;)I don't run terriers anywhere unless it's on written permission, saves explaining to the plod,landowner why you digging up their land looking for a working terrier with no collar on.shame you don't know for sure if she was stuck on a rabbit or something more worthy.not looking for an argument glad you got a result this time.we meet up and have a days digging in the season.atb dc

That's sound then fella but just because that's how you do things then you can't assume that's how everyone else does things, or expect them to do it that way.

I don't always know where the earths are. Same as when I'm lamping I don't always know where hidden farm

Machinery or coils of barbed wire are lurking.

Part and parcel, hazard of the job. For me anyway.

I ain't looking for an argument either pal ?

• Like 1

Id be gutted if the bitch ran away over the horizon wearing a brand new bellman and flint imagine after searching for 5 days that you never got your collar back.

Lol there's always that possibility fella. Like I've said a few times mate I don't know if a locator would of helped me on this occasion. Unless she was in an earth less than 50m away from the furthest earth I checked on the land then the bellman might of assisted. But we will never know... At least then I won't be wondering what if or thinking I could of done more.

Missus is paying for the bellman and flint. Her treat she says. Late birthday present. So doesn't matter too much anyway. Haha.

of course it would of helped if you spent days getting lads with lurchers and hounds to see would they mark holes a quick switch of the locator would have told you the bitch wasnt there lets move on and search somewhere else and shorten the grid. How do you know that a fox didnt tip in to and shortly after bolt out of the nearest earth to that carpark and good marking hounds or lurchers wouldnt mark that hole the next day and you could of had bitch back in 30 minutes not 5 days and need to build her back up again from exhaustion and all those people out looking for her. Listen it can happen to any of us at any time im not critisizing but a collar certainly wouldnt of been a disadvantage around her neck and you said it happened several times before and were advised before to get one. Best of luck anyways no harm done only to those weary soles out searching and if you get a live one back after every search for animals and people alls good in the world.
  • Like 2

Good old bit of news that Gaz :toast: and i know you know :thumbs: but someone's got to say it, now go buy a decent locator set up and put the coller on her everytime out :victory: ....

Ive said in the other thread mate I will get a bellman but don't see how that would of helped me here. She had f****d off on a long line on a huge expanse of ground and could of been anywhere. You need to know what set she is in really for a locator surely? unless you know where every set is within a 5 mile radius and check them all...

when you own terriers gaz-you should know every hole on the ground mate,just because the dog is a busher don't mean it won't drop in.your lucky she didn't dig on to tight and run out of air.madness running any terrier loose with out a collar on imo.I'm glad you got her back but let this be a lesson to you.terriers can be taught to mark a hole and wait for the command to enter,I would take the time mate to teach her-never made a difference to how any of my dogs have worked under the sod teaching them to wait to be told they can enter.not known many that have lasted more than 5 days in the ground and still been alive.she sounds like one you want to hold on to ;).atb dc

terriers sitting at a mark on command... when let loose when know every hole in the area...off leash! so you saying if your terriers are let run free and find a fox to ground in the next field even though there may have not been a fox in that hole you walk past the last 5 years...they will sit to you find them and give a command to enter?

• Like 2

Brilliant news

Don't think that the spanials won't drop to ground ....my cocker would and eventually lost here exactly the same way gaz lost his

Maybe a springer would be a better bet as they are bigger but a lot of spanials will go to ground

I wouldn't run a busher or spaniel that dropped to ground without a collar on

• Like 1