Got My Plummer Back...

Good old bit of news that Gaz :toast: and i know you know :thumbs: but someone's got to say it, now go buy a decent locator set up and put the coller on her everytime out :victory: ....

Ive said in the other thread mate I will get a bellman but don't see how that would of helped me here. She had f****d off on a long line on a huge expanse of ground and could of been anywhere. You need to know what set she is in really for a locator surely? unless you know where every set is within a 5 mile radius and check them all...
when you own terriers gaz-you should know every hole on the ground mate,just because the dog is a busher don't mean it won't drop in.your lucky she didn't dig on to tight and run out of air.madness running any terrier loose with out a collar on imo.I'm glad you got her back but let this be a lesson to you.terriers can be taught to mark a hole and wait for the command to enter,I would take the time mate to teach her-never made a difference to how any of my dogs have worked under the sod teaching them to wait to be told they can enter.not known many that have lasted more than 5 days in the ground and still been alive.she sounds like one you want to hold on to ;).atb dc

I work my dogs all over the country mate. Don't walk the same ground every day. So never gonna know where all the hazards are. Risks of the job.

As I said in other posts unless you know roughly where the dog is a locator isn't much use...

As for training I didnt get her from a pup, if I had of done I would of tried to teach her to stay away. But any terrier with a bit of drive is gonna follow stuff to ground. I've always known that and as said above its a risk we take.

• Like 1

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I have posted in the lost and found section but I know not everyone checks that so posting here too.   Just got my little Plummer back this evening after 5 and half days missing.   Thank you to

I am dead serious it's an amazing feat ... I mean a Plummer terrier that actually went to ground ... Truly amazing .........

Fluids fluids fluids mate ... Get her rehydrated food can wait until tomorrow ... Small meals often for the first day or two then build her up .......

all joking aside she home thats what counts :victory: .......but i find it hard to believe its been to ground for 5 days

Hard as f**k these plummers mate. Lol.

I find it hard to believe too but I don't see much other explanation? Caked in mud, eyes closed up with shit, nails worn down to the toes, lost close on 2kg and dehydrated to the point she couldn't stand. If she had been to ground and surfaced a few days earlier then she would of been found earlier surely and would of found food and water. She was found at the pub a few hundred yards from the ground I lost her on and where I park my car. Lads said they saw her come off the land and straight to the car park covered in mud and knackered.

Like you say doesn't really matter where she's been. She's back now.

• Like 1

Lol i spose

Lol only kidding mate. I think you know I ain't into the dogs for money.

Yh pal i know... trust me them spaniels are the real deal so obediant and want to please there owners, for bushing id look for nothing else.. Atb

I've got an invite to see a couple work this winter coming so will see what I think mate.

Did you get that busher from Ireland?

No gaz tryed hard to get it over but was not working out could of got it from cairyanne think it called a port in scotland but all in all would of cost 500+ so left it .. Would rather buy in a good springer for 400 the intentions were there but was just to pricey

Good old bit of news that Gaz :toast: and i know you know :thumbs: but someone's got to say it, now go buy a decent locator set up and put the coller on her everytime out :victory: ....

Ive said in the other thread mate I will get a bellman but don't see how that would of helped me here. She had f****d off on a long line on a huge expanse of ground and could of been anywhere. You need to know what set she is in really for a locator surely? unless you know where every set is within a 5 mile radius and check them all...

There made to search a mountian side after a avalanche for a person,so yeah mate they will deffo help you find a dog lost out there,you'd just have to grid search an area and mark it off on a map type thing and a decent finder will cover 50 meters so you'd zig zag walk a field or woodland at 30 odd meters distance and you'd find her up to the extra 10 meters underground sort of thing. :victory: ..Good to read the dogs on the mend as well :thumbs: ..

• Like 1

No gaz tryed hard to get it over but was not working out could of got it from cairyanne think it called a port in scotland but all in all would of cost 500+ so left it .. Would rather buy in a good springer for 400 the intentions were there but was just to pricey

Fair enough mate. Can't fault you. You gonna get a springer then?

There made to search a mountian side after a avalanche for a person,so yeah mate they will deffo help you find a dog lost out there,you'd just have to grid search an area and mark it off on a map type thing and a decent finder will cover 50 meters so you'd zig zag walk a field or woodland at 30 odd meters distance and you'd find her up to the extra 10 meters underground sort of thing. :victory: ..Good to read the dogs on the mend as well :thumbs: ..

Didn't realise that fella. I've only ever used the Deben type locators. Are they the bellmans you are talking about?

I have dug my terriers and worked dogs all over the UK myself gaz-all the more reason to teach a terrier to wait until told to enter,or the runners not to touch a cat until told other wise ;) some learn quicker than others,man and dog :).atb dc

Fair enough mate. Can't fault you. You gonna get a springer then?

Keeping my options open mate few litters popping up soon so see how it goes

Didn't realise that fella. I've only ever used the Deben type locators. Are they the bellmans you are talking about?

lol, have a look into them gaz you may be suprised -120 meters above ground and they say 60 metres down.deepest I've seen personally is a mark at 9 m but thank f**k the game shifted to 5 m and we got it out.can't see them bulky gps trackers working under ground mind,I could be wrong sure one of the experts can enlighten us lol.atb dc

I have dug my terriers and worked dogs all over the UK myself gaz-all the more reason to teach a terrier to wait until told to enter,or the runners not to touch a cat until told other wise ;) some learn quicker than others,man and dog :).atb dc

So which is it then fella? You work your dogs all over the country or you only work them where you know the location of every single hole like you told me to do earlier?

I'm getting confused here. Lol.

I can't stop her killing ferrets with a shock collar so I don't think I'm gonna stop her dropping below if she wants to go. It's one of the problems with taking on older dogs but I wasn't naive or unaware. It is what it is.

lol, have a look into them gaz you may be suprised -120 meters above ground and they say 60 metres down.deepest I've seen personally is a mark at 9 m but thank f**k the game shifted to 5 m and we got it out.can't see them bulky gps trackers working under ground mind,I could be wrong sure one of the experts can enlighten us lol.atb dc

Trackers don't work below but they work above. And therefore the point you lost signal would be the point the dog dropped to ground. In theory.

I've got a Plummer Gaz that I bought for ratting and bushing. Sadly my ratting ground is no longer so she's just a bushing bitch now. However, she's dropping to ground regularly but she will come out within half an hour. Still, there's no guarantee she will always be that way so I'm thinking of buying a Bellman or GPS so that if she does disappear I've got more chance of finding the bugger!