Pellet Altitude

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The key matter is air. If there is no air resistance, then it has nothing slowing it to a terminal velocity. Ignoring air resistance it will travel upwards, starting at its muzzle velocity and reachin

To infinity and beyond as you will never see the pellet come down lol   atvbmac :thumbs:   PS,,,page 1

The math................

Posted Images

The key matter is air. If there is no air resistance, then it has nothing slowing it to a terminal velocity. Ignoring air resistance it will travel upwards, starting at its muzzle velocity and reaching a maximum height once it has lost all of its upwards velocity due to the earths pull, then it would fall back down, accelerating back up to that same velocity it started.

However taking into account for air resistance, the problem becomes much more complicated and as I am only on my 5th can of Thatchers Haze a matter of fluid dynamics. The pellet will experience both negative acceleration from the earth, but also a certain amount from the air pushing back on it, relative to it's velocity, ambient air pressure etc. Once it reaches a certain, significantly reduced height, it will fall back down, reaching its terminal velocity, and maintaining this in a relatively less harmful manner.Now for the math...........:laugh:

• Like 6

I would actually would like to know.

Any computer programming that could work out?

I bet NASA could work it out. They're nerds too. :whistling:

We don't need NASA mate..

We need spyros our greek friend!... SPYROS....WE NEED YOUR HELP! ?

The math................

attachicon.gifphpgwMSVlPM.jpg

I'm not disputing your maths as I know nothing about it, but if a pellet can barely cover 50/60 yards on a trajectory, I just can't see it would go over twice that distance vertically. :hmm:

seriously?...

seriously get chairgun.... (theres no dimentional porthole for the pellets to vanish into lol...its up to hundreds plural of yards at the right angle like...)

a link http://www.hawkeoptics.com/chairgun.html

persavere a bit with it you'll get it, then check out the ranges, i personaly take rabbits to a 65 max, but the odd one creeps in at the 70 mark where its totaly at its killing lowest....on a good day like. and you can exspect a shit load more than 40 meters btw...eeeek..woodies at the 140 mark arnt hard...the problem is the retaing the 4fp's yu need to kill it (well bit less on a woody with the right pellet etc etc etc).

Airguns can go that far (possibly) on trajectory. there's a difference between a trajectory and straight up. I don't need to persevere with chairgun to know that.

My point is if you could get an airgun to go 100 yards, or even 300 yards, it would be still be in an arc, however high you had to aim it to achieve those distances.

Aiming it straight up, so gravity is against you from the off, no way. (IMO)