Scottish Independence

I know it was done to death on these forums not long ago, some good debate and some crap..

With the EU referendum result, support for another indyref grows, and although the scottish gov havnt said so... You get the feeling its only matter of time..

Plans for a new currency are underway, many previous no voters saying they would vote yes..

How would you vote this time?

Am still yes ;)

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Veto veto veto no chance for Scotland to join the EU.Does make me laugh though when a supposed nationalist wants to give their countries sovereignty away to the EU . Sturgeon is no nationalist she's j

Myself, as a Scot, I quite like the idea of a devolved Scottish government with more control of local and purely Scottish matters but still remain part of the UK. I can't quite grasp the snp's idea

I was a yes,,,but now a no,, dont want EU,,, rather be with a English bull dog than a Brussels sprout lol

Posted Images

Scottish independence?

It's never been on the cards has it?

Definitely not within my lifetime.

I know some of them want to hand 100% of their sovereignty to the EU,but that couldn't be further from independence.

• Like 1

The fairest option would be to wait utiln the UK (of which Scotland is a part !) has left the EU.

The question would then be whether Scotland wants to remain part of an independent Great Britain or not.

If Scotland chooses to leave the Union, but wants to apply for EU membership, let them negotiate their own terms......

True independence will NEVER be achieved....Scotland has to be a member of the Union or of the EU......their economy is not large enough to be sustainable, without being propped up by a larger benefactor !

If anyone wants to follow Sturgeon down a blind alley, be my guest !

The fairest option would be to wait utiln the UK (of which Scotland is a part !) has left the EU.

The question would then be whether Scotland wants to remain part of an independent Great Britain or not.

If Scotland chooses to leave the Union, but wants to apply for EU membership, let them negotiate their own terms......

True independence will NEVER be achieved....Scotland has to be a member of the Union or of the EU......their economy is not large enough to be sustainable, without being propped up by a larger benefactor !

If anyone wants to follow Sturgeon down a blind alley, be my guest !

Agreed, I don't see how it could be done any other way, until the Brexit negotiations have concluded Scottish folk won't even know what they're voting to leave!

I think we all know how I felt about it .

This time round though general feelings would be different. I reckon if they had a vote tomorrow it would be for independence.

A lot of people were disillusioned by the utter shit that came out of England during the last run up to the vote and were a bit sickened by it, that coupled to the fact that most Scots do not want to leave the EU would sway a positive vote IMO.

Spain, Portugal and France have stated they would veto Scotland joining the EU.

They have similar situations within their own countires. They would risk / lose a huge amount if those areas broke away as well.

Serious question, what would the EU gain by having an independent Scotland within the EU ? What does Scotland truly offer ? Genuine question I'm not having a dig.

As far as I know North Sea oil is outside their borders anyway, even if it was theirs they based their economy last time off the price of oil (which crashed massively).

What do they produce ? What is their expertise ? How would they support themselves ? I'm genuinely interested.

As we voted to leave the EU, if they truly want it they should be able to go for it. Whether the EU want them or not, I'm not so sure.

• Like 1

What actually would the Scottish gain from independence? I can't think of one thing they wouldn't even gain true independence. A lot seem to believe they have it hard up there with there free education free prescriptions ect it just seem to be its a bite your nose to spite your face act ....crazy

They have similar situations within their own countires. They would risk / lose a huge amount if those areas broke away as well.

Serious question, what would the EU gain by having an independent Scotland within the EU ? What does Scotland truly offer ? Genuine question I'm not having a dig.

As far as I know North Sea oil is outside their borders anyway, even if it was theirs they based their economy last time off the price of oil (which crashed massively).

What do they produce ? What is their expertise ? How would they support themselves ? I'm genuinely interested.

As we voted to leave the EU, if they truly want it they should be able to go for it. Whether the EU want them or not, I'm not so sure.

your baiting lol

have to see how it unfolds mate, its said that an Iscotland would only need a majory to gain eu membership, and if we can gain independence in the time it takes the uk to leave, we could take the wheel..

oil is scotlands, no doubt about, the price will rise again, and with massive investment already theres more to gain, isnt the north sea where 60% of the eus reserves

edit:added correct one

oil isnt the future though, renewables are. scotland gets nearly 60% of its energy from renewables, cuts from westminster look to threaten the 100% goal.. scotland produces more engery than it needs, guess who gets the extra, it was argued in the last referendum that without that england couldnt keep the lights on.

the water surplus in scotland is another benefit, guess where that goes when needed

its an oldy, but gives you an idea

scottish-exports.png

breakdown at

http://www.businessforscotland.co.uk/scotlands-100-billion-of-exports-provide-the-foundation-for-a-wealthy-independent-country/

its also argued once the uk leaves, alot of the big companies down south could move to edinburgh if scotland stayed in the eu, edinburgh or dublin

scotland gains alot from the eu, we are governed from westminster not brussels

Edited by Joe1888

your baiting lol

have to see how it unfolds mate, its said that an Iscotland would only need a majory to gain eu membership, and if we can gain independence in the time it takes the uk to leave, we could take the wheel..

oil is scotlands, no doubt about, the price will rise again, and with massive investment already theres more to gain, isnt the north sea where 60% of the eus reserves

oil isnt the future though, renewables are. scotland gets nearly 60% of its energy from renewables, cuts from westminster look to threaten the 100% goal.. scotland produces more engery than it needs, guess who gets the extra, it was argued in the last referendum that without that england couldnt keep the lights on.

the water surplus in scotland is another benefit, guess where that goes when needed

its an oldy, but gives you an idea

scottish-exports.png

breakdown at

http://www.businessforscotland.co.uk/scotlands-100-billion-of-exports-provide-the-foundation-for-a-wealthy-independent-country/

its also argued once the uk leaves, alot of the big companies down south could move to edinburgh if scotland stayed in the eu, edinburgh or dublin

scotland gains alot from the eu, we are governed from westminster not brussels

But those models only work whilst England wales n Ireland are in the EU with Scotland once the rest of us are out depending on the deal we make you could expect trading tariffs as double your goods exported come here add to that paying for your own infrastructure education and health services among other things and it ain't looking so rosey...be very careful with figures as they rarely paint the whole picture and only back the point trying to be made.. also I'd be very doubtful about big businesses leaving London to go north if we get the right brexit deal....best sit tight for now I'd say.

Edit just to add say if things do go your way and lot of big business move your way who's going to be filling all the jobs up there with your small population? EU migrants that's who driving down your wages and pushing your services and housing to breaking point and eroding your culture ... your welcome to them because here in the east midlands we have been flooded by them that's why we voted out!

Edited by kanny
  • Like 2

theres still alot to happen, alot of ifs, there is talks of the finance sector moving from london to edinburgh (or dublin) as it already has the making of a big financial hub.. i was just pointing out it wasnt as bad as the previous member made out...

lies, years of waste, poor management and thought of whats to come, id prefer the chance to take a different path

We had the vote for independence and we knocked it back , so we are still part of Britain ? Then we voted to leave the EU and now Sturgeon wants another vote as she reckons Scotland wanted to stay in. . She's like the kid playing football and says it's my ball so you play by my rules ..

Nothing's changed we have had our vote and I wouldn't change the way I voted why would I ,I want to see our country run by our government and if Sturgeon etc no up to it and still wants this country run from Brussells move over and give somebody who can do it a chance

A second indy vote is a long way off, and needs to be IMO. The nats are making a fairly bold assumption that the Brexit vote swings enough in favour of independence. What has to be remembered is that the majority of Scots that voted to remain in the EU, voted not only for Scotland to remain in the EU, but the UK as a whole. Leaving the union to become part of a post Brexit EU may not have the same appeal. An independent referendum now, with so many unknowns, would be madness. It has to be at least 5-10 years before Scotland even thinks about it.

• Like 2