am looking to put down a concrete pad, as you can see ive started digging...i was thinking once it was more level id be ready to wack it down, hardcore it then wack down the hardcore before starting the concrete..

tonight someone with more experince on this kind of work put a damper on it lol, said id probaly have to dig down further untill i hit all clay? ive never attempted this kind of work before, so any advice would be appreciated, what do you think..

5.3 metres

6.5 metres

dig/level ground and wack it

hardcore wacked down

plastic sheeting

reebar

then shutter the base and split into four areas and fill each one with concrete, reason for splitting is ill be using a mixer instead of ready mix

still undecided were it should be 4" of hardcore/concrete 6"

13730638_1329785260384088_1685952077_o.j

13702543_1329785173717430_112865501_o.jp

• Like 5

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

am looking to put down a concrete pad, as you can see ive started digging...i was thinking once it was more level id be ready to wack it down, hardcore it then wack down the hardcore before starting t

Thanks to those who helped here and other threads. garage has been up for abit now, needs some finishing touches but its getting good use as is. its not perfect, has a few inperfections, things i coul

id put an electric supply in before you concrete it. i wish i had with my one instead of running and extension cable. what a fexking idiot i was

150mm. hardcore laid in 50mm.layers and whackered... 15mm.blinding of sand sheet over with visqueen (damp proof membrane) reinforcement mesh then 100mm. concrete... be able to park a panzer on that ;-)

• Like 1

A ground bearing slab does not need to be taken down to clay for a sectional garage mate, your doing just fine, get some good hardcore in there, about 6 inch, well whacked, blind it off with some sand, whacked, dpm, and 4 inches of concrete.

I would have a look round and see if you can pick up some mesh to drop into the concrete as well.

• Like 1

The further you go down the more hardcore you will have to use to bring it back up above ground level. One the ground is solid it should be fine. Secondly save yourself the hardship of mixing it, unless your getting the gravel and cement for free it doesn't pay to use a mixer for big areas. By the time you have the last barrow load in the first one wil be gone off!!

• Like 3

ive since dug i out abit more to improve level, its not 100% level, question is does it need to be?

am thinking if its abit uneven, it should be ok once hardcore it spread and compact/ and made level

instead of wacking down the muck, going to wack down the hard core in two layers?

Make the base level with the layer of hardcore mate, the subsoil doesn't need to be level. And yes, the soil doesn't need to be whacked, if it's ground that has been there and settled for years it will be fine to hardcore over and build your pad on.

• Like 3

ive since dug i out abit more to improve level, its not 100% level, question is does it need to be?

am thinking if its abit uneven, it should be ok once hardcore it spread and compact/ and made level

instead of wacking down the muck, going to wack down the hard core in two layers?

Get the shuttering up and squared off,peg it in and just wacker the hard core down once,re bar in and pour and i recon you could do that in a day with just a few of you with a mixer or two.I do pads regular and i use a mixer on 99.9 percent of them,just put the mixer inside the shuttering and any mess won't matter as it's mix and pour to rake out striaght away.I did a path on my own a couple of weeks ago at home and it took me just 3 hours to mix 3 ton and have it laid and screeded off on my own,that pad i'd lay and screed as i went and just finaly screed it from recently laid side to the first laid bit for evenness in finish type thing.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest Navek

I've got a 20 x 10 ft concrete bad I did in my back yard . I dug down alittle maybe 4 inch I then filled that with 4 inch hard core wich was wackerd down I then shutters it out with 2 by 6 wich I got level and then put 6 inch concrete in . I also did mine in two sections as I mixed my own because my mate got me about 40 bags cement of site for nothing lol

the digging is done lol..had a couple bits i wanted to sort for shuttering.

hopefully have the soil and brick picked up this week and shuttered about the same time and 6 ton of hardcore dropped off. once the pad is set, worst is out the way, should be all systems go

thanks for the help :thumbs:

13613248_10153647011341987_4393475404287

13923543_10153647011346987_1839405554382

Edited by Joe1888
  • Like 1