New Pup

Hi guys just picked up my new pup 9week old deerhound x greyhound to me she looks on the skinny side I asked what he's been feeding her a the guy said tinned with some biscuits which I know is crap!! What would you recommend to bulk her up? Cheers

Check the pup has been wormed mate. Prob worth worming her anyway. Decide if you are going to feed raw or biscuit. If it's biscuit then get a decent one. Ive never fed biscuit so can't advise. Raw wise use minced beef/lamb and some minced chicken,tinned sardines, bit of rice. See how she gets on. Lots of info on feeding raw in the dog health section. Feed at least 3 meals a day and gauge how much the pup needs. She will soon start to put the weight on. Once she's older then move onto carcass etc.ATB.

Edited by white van man
  • Like 1

Hi guys just picked up my new pup 9week old deerhound x greyhound to me she looks on the skinny side I asked what he's been feeding her a the guy said tinned with some biscuits which I know is crap!! What would you recommend to bulk her up? Cheers

Food wise just make sure its quality any chance of present photos of your pup plus of the sire and dam and if you don't mind me asking what Deerhound? lines and greyhound? lines is she from by all means PM me if you want,atb

Cheers mate, hope she turns out well just not too impressed by the way she was brought up. I can't upload pictures from my iPhone so can't get any on here but I'll keep you updated.

Thanks for all the replies very much appreciated

Beta puppy very good an raw meat mate

this is what i feed my deer/grey's with when there pups and i think they always looked good on it.try chicken carcass,wings,lamb hearts,sheep heads and if you can get it green tripe.don't worry about cooking or preping it,just raw and as it comes.

I fed chicken necks (hammered to a pulp on an anvil at first then whole once she was used to them), gain record breaker, and beef lamb rabbit and pork scraps, all raw and minced and occasional raw kidneys and cooked liver. All raw meat frozen for a week first.

She made 29 inches at the shoulder.

2014_01090074%202.jpg

• Like 4

One hell of a breed mate got one my self that I have from 16 weeks old she's now 9 months. Easy to train up just takes time but are still quite puppy like till about 18 months old. All the best mate

I'm sure you already know this but when they get to 18 months they are just starting to learn from what I've seen. Give them another 18 months and you could have some dog on your hands.

My brindle bitch (deer/collie/whip/grey) was the slowest starter I've ever heard of. At 18 months old I had virtually written her off as being anything other than a rabbit dog. Even at 2 years old she turned her nose up at fox (retrieving shot ones obviously) and had no interest in retrieving anything bigger.

But she has slowly over the last 12 months taken to anything and everything. She's 3 and half now and is a decent all rounder. It's a long time to wait but they do seem to get there in the end.

To the Op - as others have said, best grub you can afford, loads of fatty mince and beef off cuts if you want to go down the raw route. If you don't want to feed any complete then plenty of brown bread and veggies with the meat. Tinned fish in tomatoe sauce with pasta makes a good meal too.

If it's been started on poor food, continue on poor food, introduce quality grub gradually, especially with big breeds

There's definitely something to be said for this. :thumbs: If you change all at once you can cause upset stomachs and diahrrhoea. (can never feckin' spell that without looking it up :D )

Edited by Maximus Ferret
  • Like 1

If it's been started on poor food, continue on poor food, introduce quality grub gradually, especially with big breeds

There's definitely something to be said for this. :thumbs: If you change all at once you can cause upset stomachs and diahrrhoea. (can never feckin' spell that without looking it up :D )

Not only that but to avoid skeletal issues aswell as muscle and tendons.