old wives tales

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I used to favour pups with black nails too until I discovered that most dingoes have white feet. :victory:

Somebody once told me that you can tell which order a dog was born in a litter by counting those long coarse hairs they have growing out of the middle of their bottom jaw. :hmm: Somehow me thinks he was talking b*ll*x!

Guest john2007oliver

I got told my lurcher wasn't a full lurcher :clapper:

I also got told that if a bitch got caught by a mongrel it would in future produce mongels and the KC would not accept these pups as KC registered. Don't know though

Guest BIG FRANK
Its from an old saying about greyhounds

Headed like a snake

Neck like a drake

Backed like a beam

Sided like a bream

Tailed like a rat

Footed like a cat or something like that :thumbs:

Heres an old one light coloured eyes dont see at speed as well as dark coloured eyes i can remember that as a young un round the greyhound lads when on about blue dogs with light eye colour :doh:

my dog as one light eye and one dark so how does that work

Headed like a snake

Neck like a drake

Backed like a beam

Sided like a bream

Tailed like a rat

Footed like a cat

Originally written by an old abbess in something like the 14th century

Hers another

Always tip the bitch up by the back legs after shes been mated for an extra pup :hmm: how the feck do you know if that works or not :doh:

Edited by juckler123

I've also heard the thing about a pure dog, being mated to a different breed, will then

never produce a full breed again, no matter what it is later breed too, and heard that

it is due to the bitch taking on part of the males dna so as to be able to provide for the

puppys in her womb.

Another one that hasnt come up yet is "a wall eye will never go blind"

Though I think that one could be shown as BS with a sharp stick :D

Edited by Paid
I was assured just last week by a woman who brought her golden retriever bitch to be lined by my stud dog that if a pedigree bitch is mated by a mongrel or a breed different from itself then it was ruined for breeding.

Even if it was mated to a dog the same breed as itself at a future date the pups would be mongrels.

I find it truly amazing that people still think this way, it's 2007 for fecks sake, CATCH UP! What do they think the bitch does? store up the seamen somewhere inside her :laugh::laugh::wallbash::haha::haha: and I suppose the world is flat too isn't it.

Here are some other gems of bull fesses.......

White lurchers are useless for lamping as the rabbits see them coming (already mentioned in another thread).

White lurchers are physically inferior to other coloured dogs. I believe this also applies to black and tan Staffs.

Always let your pup eat the first rabbit it catches it will make it a better worker.

Never trust a dog with wall eyes :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Starve your dog for a day before you work him, he'll work twice as hard for his supper.

My lurchers from genuine smithfield lines.

I could go on and on.

Most of the crap that gets spouted by people that should know better can be explained away when one applies a little common sense, something that is sadly lacking in today's society.