Beautiful fish. :thumbs:

Night time fly fishing for Seatrout can be the most exhilarating type of fishing there is. All alone with just the wildlife and the sounds of the river, punctuated with the odd fish jumping your senses seem to go to another level. Then on the fifth time down the pool you get that long slow draw, you tighten and all hell breaks loose. Nothing like it, it seems to take forever to play the fish, eventually you land it and even in the dark they have a beauty about them that in my opinion no other fish can muster.

TC

• Like 5

Been a poor season for the night fishing for me, not been many about and also been a bit too much water at times. Got this one a couple of weeks back on a wee stoats tail variant that I knocked up myself.

post-5755-0-56885900-1468539641_thumb.jpg

• Like 11

L.C.--which Cumbrian river? I fish the Eden a lot, and have also had a few recent sea trout, mainly in daytime in peaty water. The salmon fishing has been excellent since May, so I have been concentrating on them mainly.

Just wondering how the sea trout vary from river to river. In this area there are 4 or 5 half decent sea trout rivers but each seems to have a different pattern of sea trout runs. The largest is the Towy and they get a run of very large sea trout in the spring, (March and April) however the fish tend to stay in the lower reaches of the river. Then come late September / October some drop back to the sea and run other smaller rivers to spawn we call them Twpsy Dail ( pronounced Dial) In English it reads Stupid Leaves. In May through June we get the normal sea trout run of fish, fish between two and seven pounds. July though August we get the sea trout grisle that we call Sewin and are known by many different names all over the country Finnock, White fish etc:

I was just thinking how the patterns of fish runs are in your areas?

TC

Edited by Tiercel

Just wondering how the sea trout vary from river to river. In this area there are 4 or 5 half decent sea trout rivers but each seems to have a different pattern of sea trout runs. The largest is the Towy and they get a run of very large sea trout in the spring, (March and April) however the fish tend to stay in the lower reaches of the river. Then come late September / October some drop back to the sea and run other smaller rivers to spawn we call them Twpsy Dail ( pronounced Dial) In English it reads Stupid Leaves. In May through June we get the normal sea trout run of fish, fish between two and seven pounds. July though August we get the sea trout grisle that we call Sewin and are known by many different names all over the country Finnock, White fish etc:

I was just thinking how the patterns of fish runs are in your areas?

TC

The river i fish for them in suffolk it's allways been when the nettles are calf hight the first fish run in,it's a small river with the tide just touching where we fish for them and it's usualy a mix of big and small fish running together.How ever this year there is a lot of small fish around a pound and we've caught dozens of them so far, we've seen a few clonkers but there no big and wise old things for nothing and they ain't playing ball :laugh: ,we've had a couple of around a kilo this year but once the hay has had it's last cut the fish will have gone for another year,just like they allways have.

And yes they are sea trout in a suffolk river and sorry but i ain't saying where because the place was first found over 50 years ago by a young lad out in the fields with a 410 finding something for his mum to put in the pot,he saw these fish jumping and shot a couple of them and took them home.This continued for years as soon as the nettles stung his young knees he knew the fish would be there and as he grew up he learnt what fish they were and has passed this place down to his son who is my digging partner,hence why i ain't saying as it's a grand little story of a secret little river with a proper secret in it :thumbs: ..

• Like 7