Good Morning everyone.

I'm aware that this might be a slightly controversial topic that I'm asking about but as I'm new to the site and to lurchers I hope I don't upset anyone. Merlin is a two yr old rescue lurcher that has been with us for just a few days. His background is that he was rescued from the streets and aside from that we don't know anything about him. He's house trained and so no worries there but he is a chewer and tries to get hold of anything to carry, worry or chew. The usual steps have been taken but I have a feeling this might just be something that will be an ongoing work with him and in the meantime I need to find a solution.

My wife and I are both nurses. I am a student nurse and she is a community nurse and works for two days on house calls and the rest of the week from home. I have blocks of university and placement but in total there will be two days when Merlin is home alone(with our other rescue dog) until about two pm in the afternoon.

I have purchased a muzzle for him, not a basket one but one that still allows him to pant and drink and he wears this in the evening so he doesn't have to get shut away separately to the other dog and they can share the sofa and at the moment I'm thinking this will have to be the solution when he is left for the two days.

On those two days he will have been fed and walked before I leave in the morning (around seven) and walked just before my wife goes on her calls.

I wonder if anyone else has this problem and what they do to correct it or resolve the issue. I don't want him to be muzzled but left unattended he would possibly destroy everything.

Secure kennels in the yard not an option? Leaving a dog unattended with a muzzle on doesn't sit right with me at all...

Not bashing you at all by the way, you're trying to do right by the dog and on here looking for advice so fair play to you :thumbs:

Edited by BGD
  • Like 3

Either get him out beside the bike and knacker him out before you leave or get a large dog crate and lock him up whilst out.

If he chews something expensive then your going to end up shouting at him and spoiling the bond your developING with him

• Like 1

Not a wise move to leave a muzzled dog when other dogs are around unsupervised. As suggested kennel or large dog cage for a few hours leave a radio or tv on so dog doesnt get apprehensive.

what this man says.

Not a wise move to leave a muzzled dog when other dogs are around unsupervised. As suggested kennel or large dog cage for a few hours leave a radio or tv on so dog doesnt get apprehensive.

what this man says.

+2 :thumbs:

If a dog crate is the only option it's not the end of the world, sighthounds are lazy feckers about the house anyway so as long as they've been exercised well and a have a bone or such to keep them occupied it's no great cruelty to have them shut in for a few hours in the day especially if it's not every day of the week.

The kennel isn't an option and so the other would be a crate however I've just found a local service that would take him all day for me. If I'd known I'd be arranging dog sitters for him I'd have left him there. I say that jokingly I don't mind doing it because I didn't like the idea of him being muzzled and similarly to crate him when the other one isn't would seem cruel but thank you to everyone who has offered advice.

Either get him out beside the bike and knacker him out before you leave or get a large dog crate and lock him up whilst out.

If he chews something expensive then your going to end up shouting at him and spoiling the bond your developING with him

This is actually a really good point. So far he's starting to form a very good bond and who knows it might be the first time he's ever had any kindness. He's more mischievous if that makes sense than wanton destructive and he has so many other positive points when you consider his background that I don't want to destroy his confidence and in time he might stop it. I'm just over the bridge from you in Chepstow is the working ground good down your part of Somerset. My family are originally from Long Sutton and I went to Cannington to do my horticulture. My in laws are in Burnham so despite being Welsh people think I'm from the west country.

The kennel isn't an option and so the other would be a crate however I've just found a local service that would take him all day for me. If I'd known I'd be arranging dog sitters for him I'd have left him there. I say that jokingly I don't mind doing it because I didn't like the idea of him being muzzled and similarly to crate him when the other one isn't would seem cruel but thank you to everyone who has offered advice.

Fair play to you pal you're obviously seriously dedicated to providing the best for your mutts, it's great to see :thumbs:

Fair play to you pal you're obviously seriously dedicated to providing the best for your mutts, it's great to see :thumbs:

Hi Dave, thank you. If I want the best out of him I have to put in the time and if necessary added expense. I've had an arguement with the wife last night because she wanted him as a pet but I have said he's a working dog. All our Springers were working dogs but great pets as well but it's funny how we are arguing over him as if he's a bloody child. It's all about balance. He's obviously got to be loved and cared for but he can also be trained to do his natural instincts. I'm looking forward to the whole thing and that's why I'm happy to learn from people here.

I had a dog that ate everything including every pair of shoes i had as quick as id take them from her she,d find another pair i eventually gave up and left her chewing an old tough work boot and she stopped eating everything else so i left her with it and she just grew out of it at about 15 months old.

I had my dog out last night got back home about 3.30 am. Havent heard a murmer out of him. Thats 12 hours ago. Plenty of excersise bone and water in crate. My 4 year old will come home from school and let him out for a little mess around and he will just head back into his crate for another kip, then later on he will watch for me going through my routine making flask roll ups etc and will know he's going back out again.