Working Salukis

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hi Kate, As you suggested, the best thing to do is to go to as many lurcher shows as you can, and talk to as many people as you can. Some will know nothing but tell you they do. Others, less forward,

I reckon Kate b has been on here before and has a sack bigger than you your will be playing conkers in the lay-bys

To the people who are slagging the OP off: just for once, stop your trolling. There are still genuine people out there who come on here looking for the information they so badly want. And if, just may

Posted Images

I reckon her mate Justin glover is suspect aswell haha

Look babies, I'm a member on here now. So get used to it. And it seems like the mods actually welcome new people and want to give them a chance - weird but true. I am not a troll of any kind. I am not pretending to be someone I am not. If you don't like me, block me. From now on, I'm going to report every single person who calls me a troll. Check out the guidelines about abusive posting. Good night to all the nice guys. See you again. xx

Kate b.

Is it definitely a saluki type dog your after, if so imo I think you where along the right lines thinking saluki greyhound collie greyhound.

Thing is with lurchers everyone like something different, hunts different and some types of lurchers are better suited to different jobs. So different types of lurchers suit different people.

Knowing what I know now if I was to be picking my first lurcher it would not be one with a heavy saluki influence because they don't suit what I do and what I like (my first two lurchers had saluki in them). I would most likely pick a collie lurcher / lurcher to lurcher and my preference is along the lines of collie bull greys and collie deerhound greyhound types because they suit what I do and the very different types and sometimes rough terrain I work on.

I don't think there's any easy way to find what you like and what suites you other than getting out and doing as much as you can over time and gaining experience.

I would forget about trying to buy a really good special dog "world beaters" we call them as the perfect dog has yet to be born, your far better finding a pup and doing the best you can with it. I would also forget about these super dogs with names behind them unless I knew there owners as I've found somtimes the credibility of there breeding is often in doubt to increase there value as well as some lurchers breeding being like Chinese whispers.

I would only buy a pup and never a older dog unless from a close friend for the right reason, id be looking at litters from a worker to worker background with genuine owners breeding to keep a pup for them self and i would take my time considering any breeding along the lines of what i wanted. I wouldnt look for a exact type of lurcher pup because I've found it to be definite way of letting genuine litters pass you by.

My last point would be that I've found buying older dogs that are genuine and not spoilt to be like trying to throw snowballs at the sun.

hope this helps a little. Atb.

• Like 2

well i would google info on deerhound crosses. type in that cross and click images. if this is a suitable type go for it and start searching for a litter. and good luck. its not rocket science get your pup rear it well break it to stock then get out and about with it.

Just when you think you've got out, they drag you back in! Thanks FSH, that's good advice. Problem is I need a dog soon. Not having a dog is like missing an arm. Think I may go for the Saluki option and then breed my perfect dog out of her when I know a bit more about what I'm doing. I love what i'm finding out about salukis, although not mainly from this site as i've been having to deal with rather different subjects on here! Now I really must go or i'll be up all night talking what a lot of people on this site obviously think is nonsense> that's the problem with laptops. you get into bed, tell yourself you'll just go on line for a minute or two and the next think you know the sun is rising!

Just when you think you've got out, they drag you back in! Thanks FSH, that's good advice. Problem is I need a dog soon. Not having a dog is like missing an arm. Think I may go for the Saluki option and then breed my perfect dog out of her when I know a bit more about what I'm doing. I love what i'm finding out about salukis, although not mainly from this site as i've been having to deal with rather different subjects on here! Now I really must go or i'll be up all night talking what a lot of people on this site obviously think is nonsense> that's the problem with laptops. you get into bed, tell yourself you'll just go on line for a minute or two and the next think you know the sun is rising!

Night night judy mwah xx

• Like 1

Marry in haste, repent at leisure. Loosing a dog is hard, but rushing in to fill that space with a rebound decision is a high risk path to follow.

As much as admire saluki lurchers, they would not be my first choice with which to enter the working dog world.

• Like 3

Anyway, glad to give you all a bit of a laugh on a wednesday evening. If anyone's got a REALLY hilarious comment to make, go right ahead and hit me with it. I'm stuck in a weird house in France with a broken down car and I could do with a giggle. xx

Welcome to the hunting life , slightly confused where you live London or France ? :hmm:

What did you use your lurcher on and what you looking to do with any new dog that you might get wether its a Chihuahua or a saluki ?

Get yourself a

Whippet

Marry in haste, repent at leisure. Loosing a dog is hard, but rushing in to fill that space with a rebound decision is a high risk path to follow.

As much as admire saluki lurchers, they would not be my first choice with which to enter the working dog world.

X2 to the above. as hard as it is to resist I would not rush into buying a pup. I think Saluki's are one of the most magnificent dogs but they are 'different' to other more traditional sighthounds from the UK. Make sure you are aware and prepared for that. Atvb.

Well done guys. You're always saying how samey the site is getting, but when we get a new member who makes it less samey, you scare them off.

As far as using their real name, no-one is under any obligation to do that.

I've had a message from Kate B saying sorry if she went too far with any of her replies and I don't know if she'll be back.

I know we've had a few "women" join here who are either antis, troublemakers, or men, but FFS give newbies a chance before making assumptions.

In all fairness she got a bit of ribbing and some good advice on the first couple of pages but then something just seemed weird re her questioning.

Forget a saluki love, get out with someone learn the ropes, get yourself a calmer, more amiable cross like as mentioned. Believe me I say this from experience! I have a heavily saluki blooded dog and he is a complete wanker :laugh:

• Like 1

Well done guys. You're always saying how samey the site is getting, but when we get a new member who makes it less samey, you scare them off.

I've had a message from Kate B saying sorry if she went too far with any of her replies and I don't know if she'll be back.

I know we've had a few "women" join here who are either antis, troublemakers, or men, but FFS give newbies a chance before making assumptions.

In all fairness she got a bit of ribbing and some good advice on the first couple of pages but then something just seemed weird re her questioning.

Forget a saluki love, get out with someone learn the ropes, get yourself a calmer, more amiable cross like as mentioned. Believe me I say this from experience! I have a heavily saluki blooded dog and he is a complete wanker :laugh:

They say they take after their owners.

This one is more like his acestral creators ??

• Like 1

This one is more like his acestral creators

Personally I dont think Tomo,s that bad LOL