Working Salukis

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hi Kate, As you suggested, the best thing to do is to go to as many lurcher shows as you can, and talk to as many people as you can. Some will know nothing but tell you they do. Others, less forward,

I reckon Kate b has been on here before and has a sack bigger than you your will be playing conkers in the lay-bys

To the people who are slagging the OP off: just for once, stop your trolling. There are still genuine people out there who come on here looking for the information they so badly want. And if, just may

Posted Images

well I'm not a fur mummy.

Hi Kate,

As you suggested, the best thing to do is to go to as many lurcher shows as you can, and talk to as many people as you can. Some will know nothing but tell you they do. Others, less forward, may be full of wisdom and knowledge. Those who shout loudest are not always the most experienced or well-informed. But, little by little you should be able to tell posers from genuine people.

Another thing: you speak of breeding: before you ever think to go down that route, have a look on the internet sites such as Preloved and Pets4homes, which will show you just how many lurcher litters are being bred all the time. And then look on the rescue sites, and see how many dumped, neglected, abused or merely lost, lurchers there are. It is extremely hard to find homes, even bad ones, for a lurcher puppy. The market is saturated by people hoping to make a few quid, or merely wanting to breed because they love their dogs and think they're the best. In reality, the lurcher market is tiny compared to all the other breeds out there.

Sky cat - i've been on those sites and I know that there are too many nondescript lurchers out there. That why i'm looking for something with really good lines that working dog people will recognise and really good looks that non working homes will like. I didn't breed Sulya for that reason - Because I didn't work her when she was young she didn't have her own working reputation and ireland is awash with lurchers. Hence my thinking about a full bred Saluki from good parentage. I'd quite like to make my own cross. And I now live in London and I used to be stopped every day by people admiring Sulya, even when she was nearly 15, I f she could still be bred, I could have got cozy family homes for her puppies just by walking her around. I'm not a 'fur mummy' as some eejit has said, but i'm too much of a dog lover to be wanting to breed pups that can't find good owners.

Ireland awash with lurchers , r you sure you lived here, only time I see them is near a Traveller site or at a lurcher show

Traveller sites is what I'm talking about and if YOU live in Ireland you'll know that there's quite a few of those around. I don't think County Limerick is exactly a traveller free zone. And all respect to them. I've had many a good dog conversation with a traveller and a lot of travellers had a beady eye for my Sul.

I'm getting quite sick of people on here questioning my credentials so in future I'm just going to ignore ignorant posts like yours, like one very wise person on this site advised me to. ATB to you Sean Hartigan.

Edited by Kate B

To the people who are slagging the OP off: just for once, stop your trolling. There are still genuine people out there who come on here looking for the information they so badly want. And if, just maybe, these new members are not genuine, then what have we lost in offering them some well-meant advice? A few moments of our time. No wonder the world is fecked if an innocently-asked question gets nothing but cynicism or sarcasm in response.

• Like 7

What credentials ? I presume you mean "aspect of a person's background" like full name and address I've got them as you can see, you have none, a pseudonym of kate b, don't know who bred your dog or where you bought it, wont say where you live or have lived and have no pics of your dog "póg mo thóin"

Edited by Sean Hartigan
  • Like 1

what a friendly bunch you are,not so long back a few of you folk were asking for help,what the fuk you afraid of,Kate B going to find your homes and kill you while you sleep ffs.Be civil and answer with helpfull replies,we need as many decent folk in our rank as possible,and the antis havent stopped you lot yeet so chill out for jesus sake

• Like 4

what a friendly bunch you are,not so long back a few of you folk were asking for help,what the fuk you afraid of,Kate B going to find your homes and kill you while you sleep ffs.Be civil and answer with helpfull replies,we need as many decent folk in our rank as possible,and the antis havent stopped you lot yeet so chill out for jesus sake

If it was someone called john b spouting so much shite about out on his arse with nothing but a suitcase and his good ole lurcher that he never worked bit knew was good cos somebody said as a puppy it tore a rabbit to shreds talking about doing Al sorts with a dog he didn't have would you be so sympathetic?

why sympathy,she asked about getting a lurcher and all you need to do is either

A. answer with some possible helpfull replies ........or

B. dont answer at all

I know tons of folk that have lurchers that dont work em,,,that doesnt make em nasty..I know a few folk that are heavily opposed to our way of life,and still we chat civil to each other,,attacking a new commers post in this way is uncalled for as far as I can see

• Like 4

Hi. I posted earlier. I'm a new member looking to get a really good bitch pup. Someone messaged me and suggested I look into working salukis. Can anyone tell me anything about them? (yeah - I know - I'm obviously a bit of a newbie!) What are full bred salukis like in the brain department? I always though you need a bit of collie for that, although I have to say my darling late bitch Sulya hadn't an ounce of collie but she had plenty brains! If I could get anything with half her good sense and strength of character I'd be happy. RIP

No such thing as working Salukis

• Like 1

O.P. - Forget about famous lines and breeding litters, just get out there and find a dog you're likely to get along with and enjoy giving it a good life - you've only got to please yourself. Living in London, I would suggest giving serious consideration to whether or not you have enough access to land on which to exercise a dog like a saluki cross - I'm on my second saluki / grey x collie / grey, and they do need to run a lot. The current one is still very puppy-ish at a year old and will be bouncing off the walls if she doesn't get two or three hours exercise a day. Also, the stubborn and sensitive saluki nature can sometimes make for difficult obedience training. Although we're getting there now, I don't mind admitting to having struggled with this one.

post-12466-0-90018200-1468524317_thumb.jpg

Edited by Caravan Monster
  • Like 1