Working Salukis

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hi Kate, As you suggested, the best thing to do is to go to as many lurcher shows as you can, and talk to as many people as you can. Some will know nothing but tell you they do. Others, less forward,

I reckon Kate b has been on here before and has a sack bigger than you your will be playing conkers in the lay-bys

To the people who are slagging the OP off: just for once, stop your trolling. There are still genuine people out there who come on here looking for the information they so badly want. And if, just may

Posted Images

Hi. I posted earlier. I'm a new member looking to get a really good bitch pup. Someone messaged me and suggested I look into working salukis. Can anyone tell me anything about them? (yeah - I know - I'm obviously a bit of a newbie!) What are full bred salukis like in the brain department? I always though you need a bit of collie for that, although I have to say my darling late bitch Sulya hadn't an ounce of collie but she had plenty brains! If I could get anything with half her good sense and strength of character I'd be happy. RIP

Hi Good Morning I am a newbie here as well so I've also been asking a load of questions but have I have found some great help and advice. My lurcher (Merlin) is a resuced dog. I've had him for three days and he is round two years old. He is saluki mix although what the mix is we are not sure but the saluki is apparent in his head. I will start by saying that a pure bred saluki is berd to hunt gazelle over long distance, so speed and more stamina than some long dogs. In regards to intelligence I can only speak of Merlin and he has already picked up retrieve in two days although there could have been some initial knowledge before his last owners dumped him. His temperament is very gentle and yet yesterday when I had him out he spotted his first cat way in the distance and his head was straight up and ready to go. Like any dog it will take time so whatever you get remember that and don't make my mistake. I had springer spaniels all my life and I expected all dogs to be the same personality, a stupid mistake I know. Good Luck and I will look forward to hearing your progress.

Hi Kate. Have you looked at the Lurcher and Racing Club or the Sussex Longdogs sites? I reckon you might more easily make the kind of contacts you are looking for there. ATB.

thanks for that - great advice.

Hi. I posted earlier. I'm a new member looking to get a really good bitch pup. Someone messaged me and suggested I look into working salukis. Can anyone tell me anything about them? (yeah - I know - I'm obviously a bit of a newbie!) What are full bred salukis like in the brain department? I always though you need a bit of collie for that, although I have to say my darling late bitch Sulya hadn't an ounce of collie but she had plenty brains! If I could get anything with half her good sense and strength of character I'd be happy. RIP

Hi Good Morning I am a newbie here as well so I've also been asking a load of questions but have I have found some great help and advice. My lurcher (Merlin) is a resuced dog. I've had him for three days and he is round two years old. He is saluki mix although what the mix is we are not sure but the saluki is apparent in his head. I will start by saying that a pure bred saluki is berd to hunt gazelle over long distance, so speed and more stamina than some long dogs. In regards to intelligence I can only speak of Merlin and he has already picked up retrieve in two days although there could have been some initial knowledge before his last owners dumped him. His temperament is very gentle and yet yesterday when I had him out he spotted his first cat way in the distance and his head was straight up and ready to go. Like any dog it will take time so whatever you get remember that and don't make my mistake. I had springer spaniels all my life and I expected all dogs to be the same personality, a stupid mistake I know. Good Luck and I will look forward to hearing your progress.

Nice reply - thanks. Your dog looks gorgeous! Definitely saluki in there! Good luck!

Nice reply - thanks. Your dog looks gorgeous! Definitely saluki in there! Good luck!

Thank you. As I mentioned with regards to him I only know the one side of him which kind of makes it interesting. I haven't figured out how to post videos yet so I'll try or you may need to copy and paste the link into your browser.But this is a video I saw of them working over in Saudi Arabia with gazelle. I'm guessing that with this ability they will have incredible stamina but I'm not sure what they are like for turning etc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQBtLS3RstU

Hi Kate,

As you suggested, the best thing to do is to go to as many lurcher shows as you can, and talk to as many people as you can. Some will know nothing but tell you they do. Others, less forward, may be full of wisdom and knowledge. Those who shout loudest are not always the most experienced or well-informed. But, little by little you should be able to tell posers from genuine people.

Another thing: you speak of breeding: before you ever think to go down that route, have a look on the internet sites such as Preloved and Pets4homes, which will show you just how many lurcher litters are being bred all the time. And then look on the rescue sites, and see how many dumped, neglected, abused or merely lost, lurchers there are. It is extremely hard to find homes, even bad ones, for a lurcher puppy. The market is saturated by people hoping to make a few quid, or merely wanting to breed because they love their dogs and think they're the best. In reality, the lurcher market is tiny compared to all the other breeds out there.

• Like 9

Hi Kate,

As you suggested, the best thing to do is to go to as many lurcher shows as you can, and talk to as many people as you can. Some will know nothing but tell you they do. Others, less forward, may be full of wisdom and knowledge. Those who shout loudest are not always the most experienced or well-informed. But, little by little you should be able to tell posers from genuine people.

Another thing: you speak of breeding: before you ever think to go down that route, have a look on the internet sites such as Preloved and Pets4homes, which will show you just how many lurcher litters are being bred all the time. And then look on the rescue sites, and see how many dumped, neglected, abused or merely lost, lurchers there are. It is extremely hard to find homes, even bad ones, for a lurcher puppy. The market is saturated by people hoping to make a few quid, or merely wanting to breed because they love their dogs and think they're the best. In reality, the lurcher market is tiny compared to all the other breeds out there.

This is what we were told when we collected Merlin on Sunday. They think he was dumped by gypsies but this might be unfair as my best friends is from a Romany gypsy family and their animals were always spoilt rotten so it's often not true gypsies who dump their animals. Having said that I can only speak for the Animal rehoming place we got Merlin form and they have said they get so many lurchers brought in to them and it's often harder for these dogs as they are adult and people are unwilling to give hem a chance.. I would suggest considering it because that way you can save an animals life and give it a second chance and learn without spending hundreds of pounds on a full pedigree.

well I'm not a fur mummy.

Hi Kate,

Sky cat - i've been on those sites and I know that there are too many nondescript lurchers out there. That why i'm looking for something with really good lines that working dog people will recognise and really good looks that non working homes will like. I didn't breed Sulya for that reason - Because I didn't work her when she was young she didn't have her own working reputation and ireland is awash with lurchers. Hence my thinking about a full bred Saluki from good parentage. I'd quite like to make my own cross. And I now live in London and I used to be stopped every day by people admiring Sulya, even when she was nearly 15, I f she could still be bred, I could have got cozy family homes for her puppies just by walking her around. I'm not a 'fur mummy' as some eejit has said, but i'm too much of a dog lover to be wanting to breed pups that can't find good owners.

Edited by Kate B

Kate B - if you have spent time in Ireland then you will surely know the plight of abandoned/neglected lurcher type dogs - the pounds and rescue centres are bursting with them, even litters of young pups - so much so, that they are often shipped to the mainland and further abroad in Europe for re-homing. Why not do one of these dogs a favour and adopt one, rather than add to the problem by producing your own 'line of dogs' if you have no experience. These type of dogs often have very large litters - quality homes are hard to find for them all. The world is already overpopulated by 'wonder dogs'.

All the best.

Edited by littlefish
  • Like 5

well I'm not a fur mummy.

Hi Kate,

Sky cat - i've been on those sites and I know that there are too many nondescript lurchers out there. That why i'm looking for something with really good lines that working dog people will recognise and really good looks that non working homes will like. I didn't breed Sulya for that reason - Because I didn't work her when she was young she didn't have her own working reputation and ireland is awash with lurchers. Hence my thinking about a full bred Saluki from good parentage. I'd quite like to make my own cross. And I now live in London and I used to be stopped every day by people admiring Sulya, even when she was nearly 15, I f she could still be bred, I could have got cozy family homes for her puppies just by walking her around. I'm not a 'fur mummy' as some eejit has said, but i'm too much of a dog lover to be wanting to breed pups that can't find good owners.

Ireland awash with lurchers , r you sure you lived here, only time I see them is near a Traveller site or at a lurcher show