Working Salukis

Hi. I posted earlier. I'm a new member looking to get a really good bitch pup. Someone messaged me and suggested I look into working salukis. Can anyone tell me anything about them? (yeah - I know - I'm obviously a bit of a newbie!) What are full bred salukis like in the brain department? I always though you need a bit of collie for that, although I have to say my darling late bitch Sulya hadn't an ounce of collie but she had plenty brains! If I could get anything with half her good sense and strength of character I'd be happy. RIP

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hi Kate, As you suggested, the best thing to do is to go to as many lurcher shows as you can, and talk to as many people as you can. Some will know nothing but tell you they do. Others, less forward,

I reckon Kate b has been on here before and has a sack bigger than you your will be playing conkers in the lay-bys

To the people who are slagging the OP off: just for once, stop your trolling. There are still genuine people out there who come on here looking for the information they so badly want. And if, just may

Posted Images

And I know you're all good sensible hunting folk, so perhaps you'll understand me when I say I take getting the right pup very seriously. When I left my husband I took nothing but my dog and a suitcase, and by the time she died I'd been with her longer than I was with him! But she was God's good luck. I don't know if I can expect that another time so this time I need some really good advice. Thanks

for what purpose do you want the dog ? companion or to hunt? I dont think a saluki personally is the easiest dog to have IF youve not had a whole lot of experience with lurchers,and salukis and lurchers can be a world apart at times...

for what purpose do you want the dog ? companion or to hunt? I dont think a saluki personally is the easiest dog to have IF youve not had a whole lot of experience with lurchers,and salukis and lurchers can be a world apart at times...

I got my last lurcher by luck when I was living in Ireland. She was a brilliant dog. Although I didn't work her when I got her cos people told me it would cause problems with stock etc. I later regretted that and felt I did her a disservice. Hard for me to tell how good a dog she was. All I can say is that I got a lot of interest about her from travellers ( and I don't want to hear anything against them) and lurcher people when she was young along with offers to buy her. By the time I come to understand how I had cheated her by not working her, she was to old to start. So to me working the dog is FOR the dog. And the other thing was that because I hadn't worked her I could never really breed her and expect to get the kind of homes for the puppy that they deserved. So yes, I want my next dog to be my companion, but I also want it to do all it can do. I also believe that how you treat the puppy has a major input on how it turns out. If you communicate with a dog in ITS terms its going to turn round and do you the same favour. And the next person that asks me about Chihuahuas gets his - it must be a him - head chopped off. And moderator - how did you pass that one?

If u intend to get a Lurcher for hunting u must learn how to kill and despatch quarry so maybe u would be better if finding someone on here to mentor u and maybe take u out and show u the correct procedures also gutting and preparing them also u would be better off with a bedlington whippet grey hound or a collie greyhound as perfect for hunting rabbits and that's where anyone one starting off should start . al the best in researching and buying a pup and hope it quenches your thirst for a Lurcher but be warned there addictive and one leads to 2 then kennels then there every where lol

• Like 3

And thank you, extreme off the road goat hunter, for treating me like a proper human being. Doesn't seem like every one on this site is able for that.

If u intend to get a Lurcher for hunting u must learn how to kill and despatch quarry so maybe u would be better if finding someone on here to mentor u and maybe take u out and show u the correct procedures also gutting and preparing them also u would be better off with a bedlington whippet grey hound or a collie greyhound as perfect for hunting rabbits and that's where anyone one starting off should start . al the best in researching and buying a pup and hope it quenches your thirst for a Lurcher but be warned there addictive and one leads to 2 then kennels then there every where lol

You might be right about the mentoring thing. I was thinking about that. But you know, you don't just jump on an anonymous web site and say hi, my name is Kate B do you want to mentor me, do you? unless you ARE an idiot..... I know about addictive, and one day I'm planning to get somewhere with a tiny bit of a paddock and THAT will be the time to think of 2, or 3, or 4 .......! I do understand about the dispatching and killing because ..... do you think I AM an idiot? And meanwhile can some of you guys on here that actually DO have some respect and manners for the rest of humanity message the Chiuaua guy and tell him what an ar#^h*7l! he is? I wasn't ready for that. More fool me. And pics guy - haha. you must be kidding!

Haha you thought I wanted pics of you lol don't flatter ya self kitty kat, I meant your lurcher haha

Yeah - haha! But after the Chihuahua comment any thing was possible! Most of my photos are on my phone. Trying to import them to my laptop so I can post, but you know - I'm better at handbags that technology. I'd love to post one though. So I'll keep trying.