European Pole Cat X Domestic Ferret

Dont forget your spadeJim,worked one of my pals for a season or two,it was a dig nearly every time it was used,very quick and unpredictable too,sometimes it was fine ,others it wasn't lol if I were you mate Id stick to "ordinary" ferrets ATB Dave

There is a Shooting Times video on You Tube this week by Simon Whitehead. He gives his opinion on European Polecat crosses, pointless waste of time. Many of these alleged crossbreeds are just dark polecat coloured ferrets, but if you get the genuine article what does it add. The ferret has been domesticated for hundreds or more years. They work with you as a part of your hunting team. How often do you find yourself on a dig and thrusting your hand blindly into a hole with confidence that your ferret isn't going to savage you. I wouldn't feel the same way hunting with an animal one generation removed from the wild. I have no personal experience of hunting with a first cross, although I've been offered them I was sceptical that it was the genuine article, it just behaved like a skulking poorly handled ferret, which is what it probably was. My advice, for all that it's worth is, don't go paying stupid money for either a very dark coloured ferret, or worse a nervous, vicious demon that you can never trust.

• Like 3