Which Is Better

Anyway lol it doesn't matter what gun you use the most impotent thing is you enjoy it.

Depends on how and why you shoot IMO. If you are doing it purely to clear vermin then I would argue that you have a duty to employ the most efficient method, i.e. the one that results in the biggest bag. That is what the farmer would expect. But if you aren't under that sort of obligation then you can choose the method that you enjoy most.

In the last few years before I came over here I was lucky enough to have the run of three farms on our shoot. The shoot is run by a very good friend of mine. I'd put the time in to clear pigeons as and when needed, take squirrels off the feeders and do some corvid and rat shooting, but the rest of the time I could please myself. When I had permissions for myself on farms I had to prioritise on whatever the farmer was having problems with. One time I spent nearly all my time in a grain silo shooting rats. That's what the 'boss' wanted. On another shoot it was rabbits using a .22LR. You just have to do what the farmer expects.

If I had the choice I'd pick decoying and flighting pigeons with a shotgun, and squirrel shooting with an air rifle as my favourite methods. Pigeons with an air rifle isn't a patch on hitting fast flying targets IMO.

• Like 1

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Which is better Air gun or shotgun for pigeons Only saying like

I'm sure our expert, and resident pigeon basher Mark will be along in a minute to help you out, it's all down to how you hide.

Yes, when they are on the new buds it is the same. If you can find a tree that is ahead of the rest so they concentrate on that you can have some good sport. Same in winter if there is a snow fall. Fi

Posted Images

. Just lost a duckling to hypothermia on Saturday after it got drenched but couldn't get warm enough again.

The other two of the hatch are being worried by magpies prowling round the duck run. I am hoping the ducklings will grow bigger in time to put the bandits off.

So I always have my rifle with me when I am outside these days.

I went to feed the pigs and a wood pigeon popped up on to the wall. While it was wondering what I was, I was able to draw my gun round from slung off my shoulder, raise to aim, and blat it through the eye.

This was about forty minutes ago. The breasts are now in a tupperware tub in the fridge.

Apologies for not making the pigeon more photogenic.

Pigeon%2013%20JUly%202016_zpsiorjbkq3.jp

• Like 2

Right, this thread seems to be moseying along a little too nicely - Not at all how VM intended ;)

So, I'll have a pop at getting it back on track .......

I hunt with an air rifle because I'm secure enough in the knowledge that my testosterone levels have provided me with large enough genitals that, I don't feel the need to have 2 large, self affirming barrels in my hand while hunting.

Just saying like :feck:

Yeeeeeeah, C'mon ya fuckers :D :D :D

Right, this thread seems to be moseying along a little too nicely - Not at all how VM intended ;)

I hunt with an air rifle because I'm secure enough in the knowledge that my testosterone levels have provided me with large enough genitals that, I don't feel the need to have 2 large, self affirming barrels in my hand while hunting.

And I thought it was that your Mum wouldn't let you have a proper gun :tongue2:

:laugh:

• Like 1

I shoot with an airgun because I enjoy it.

Even though I am rural, there is a bridleway on one side and a single track road on the other.

Then there's the neighbours. Everyone is just a bit too close.

Each to their own. Can't argue on the numbers game but it just wouldn't be appropriate on my little farm.

• Like 1

And I thought it was that your Mum wouldn't let you have a proper gun :tongue2:

:laugh:

Yep, he's got a little 'un :yes:

.... Don't you worry son - There's a hole for every peg ;):D

I shoot with an airgun because I enjoy it.

Even though I am rural, there is a bridleway on one side and a single track road on the other.

Then there's the neighbours. Everyone is just a bit too close.

Each to their own. Can't argue on the numbers game but it just wouldn't be appropriate on my little farm.

See this fellas.......... Small rifle, small farm - Don't let PW meet your women :o:D Edited by Jonjon79

Fundamentally, it could be a class thing.

Airguns are used by the shooters that ask for permission, shotties are for the shooters that own the permission.

It is for me anyway. And any posh sod I've met, shotguns. Thing is they can keep the pests down with a shotgun in such confined spaces.

Another plus for shotguns are that you can use historical guns in the field, here's one of my old shotguns a late 1800,s Birmingham built hammer gun. ......

FFDEBE44-99DE-4756-9C2F-C79FE4EA16EC_zps

And here is the old thing in action (black powder proof only)

http://s1066.photobucket.com/user/tomburras/media/Mobile%20Uploads/2016-05/C2820242-19EE-4C33-BFBD-9D4F772664D9_zpslhtkwlln.mp4.html

The sound, smell and smoke all add to the fun. Can be tricky getting a second shot in tho when your surrounded by smoke lol.

I can't think of any properly old airguns that can be used like their modern counterparts - can't beat a bit of nostalgia!

• Like 2