Which Is Better

that youtube video is a mosberg hushpower .410 used to be owned by a forum member on here. the baikal version (had several) is silly quiet with 2.5 inch and with 3 inch is about as loud as and sounds like a hammer hitting a chisel.

i have the mossberg 410 which daughter uses and the are quiet even when using 24g 3" loads

Ace want another one! sold the last one to a great forum member not long since. Are the 24g cartridges you mention made by cheddite?

yes mate

thank you.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Which is better Air gun or shotgun for pigeons Only saying like

I'm sure our expert, and resident pigeon basher Mark will be along in a minute to help you out, it's all down to how you hide.

Yes, when they are on the new buds it is the same. If you can find a tree that is ahead of the rest so they concentrate on that you can have some good sport. Same in winter if there is a snow fall. Fi

Posted Images

that youtube video is a mosberg hushpower .410 used to be owned by a forum member on here. the baikal version (had several) is silly quiet with 2.5 inch and with 3 inch is about as loud as and sounds like a hammer hitting a chisel.

i have the mossberg 410 which daughter uses and the are quiet even when using 24g 3" loads

Ace want another one! sold the last one to a great forum member not long since. Are the 24g cartridges you mention made by cheddite?

yes mate

thank you.

no probs mate but when i use it i forget to pump it cause am use to my semi lol

The only two things I miss about living in England are pigeon decoying with the semi-auto and squirrel hunting with the air rifle. I'd hoped to be able to find some pigeon shooting out here but there just aren't anywhere near enough to justify shooting them.

The noise issue of shotguns isn't entirely a negative thing. The bang of a shotgun can often cause birds that have settled elsewhere nearby to lift and fly around. They may see your deeks and fly close enough to get a shot at them. Where I used to shoot pigeons we had an arrangement with nearby shoots and farms in that on Wednesdays we would try and get out amongst them so that the pigeons were kept flying about by the constant banging. If you use an air rifle you are relying totally on the pigeons coming into range of your gun and settling long enough to get a shot at them. Pigeons don't always settle amongst decoys for long. They sense that something is wrong and lift off after a few seconds. No problem with a shotty if you've had a nap and missed the birds coming in and landing. But the air rifle is a different matter. I'd try and decoy them into trees or better still hedges, rather than on the ground if I was using the air rifle. The banging of the shotgun keeps birds moving and not settling away from the deeks.

Normally I would go to a small driveway overlooking the valley where I could see about 90% of the shoot. I'd sit there with a coffee and bino's watching the flight lines until I decided where best to shoot. Then I'd drive to other areas and put some flags out where I thought they might settle and finally drive to the area I'd decided to put the hide up and deeks out. Sometimes it could be two hours watching and preparing. If I was using the shotgun I'd have two trips from the car taking all the stuff I might need. With the air rifle everything could be carried in one bag. In winter it would be the pheasant feeders that attracted the pigeons and squirrels. In summer I'd often find them on manure heaps where brown liquid leached out. Pigeons seemed to love this smelly liquid. There was a stream ran through the shoot and I'd spend many an hour in summer sat on a bridge potting pigeons coming in for a drink. No deeks required. On clover or stubble though I'd try and get them into the hedges rather than on the ground. The hide would be set up downwind so they'd be looking away and less likely to spot any movement. A couple of full bodied deeks lofted was enough to start a small crowd and a crow deek on the ground kept their attention. Quite often a maggie or two would also come over to see what was going on and paid the price.

Happy days :)

Edited by Nicepix
  • Like 2

In spring before the leaves have arrived theres a small wood on on farm I shoot on and an airgun is superb to pick them off as they come in to roost and they just keep coming unaware, then the airgun is perfect. Small bags but must admit miles more satisfying than if using a shotgun.

• Like 1

In spring before the leaves have arrived theres a small wood on on farm I shoot on and an airgun is superb to pick them off as they come in to roost and they just keep coming unaware, then the airgun is perfect. Small bags but must admit miles more satisfying than if using a shotgun is used.

Yes, when they are on the new buds it is the same. If you can find a tree that is ahead of the rest so they concentrate on that you can have some good sport. Same in winter if there is a snow fall. Find a rape field and spread your camo' scrim down on the snow about 25 yds out from the hedge and sit still just down wind. No deeks, just the 'false crops' showing through the snow is enough to get them down long enough to get a shot at them. Or if you can find a small area that has thawed it is the same sort of shooting. Pigeons will try and get to the small area of crops showing above the snow.

• Like 3

Soudns good nicepix my old shooting partner did this too.

Yeah pix,nice one and my shooting buddy is going to be told "I've had an idea..." :thumbs:

Might be better to wait until winter to drop your new idea to him. The middle of July might not be the best time to try it out :laugh:

Yeah pix,nice one and my shooting buddy is going to be told "I've had an idea..." :thumbs:

Might be better to wait until winter to drop your new idea to him. The middle of July might not be the best time to try it out :laugh:

Ha ha yes agreed lol. Sadly I lost my shooting partner to cancer aged 56 no doubt he's looking down laughing!

• Like 1

I will make believe I'm planning ahead,we often discuss tactics and stuff that we never actually put into practice...

I will make believe I'm planning ahead,we often discuss tactics and stuff that we never actually put into practice...

I know someone else who does that ;):laugh:

Another air rifle tip I'd like to share with you is when you are walking through the woods and see a squirrel running away ahead of you. Invariably the squizzer goes round the back of the tree, but if you quietly carry on until you are within range and sit down with your back to a tree trunk you can often see the squirrel peeping at you in the crown of the tree. All you will see is its eye and a bit of the top of its head. Just enough to shoot it if you are accurate enough and move slowly and smoothly. If the squizzer isn't in the crown it may be a little higher in a fork, but in my experience 90% of the time it will be laying flat in the crown just peeping over it with one eye. That to me was the most satisfying shot I could make with an air rifle. :boogy:

If I couldn't see the squirrel I'd send the dog beyond the tree and then make her sit. That sometimes made the squirrel come back around the trunk to my side. ;)