Hello From Merlin And I.

Hello everyone, I'm Justin and I have just adopted my first sight hound, a lurcher with definite saluki in in but not sure what else. He was picked up on the streets and had probably been dumped however his full past history will never be known. Anyway Merlin has come to live with me and has settled in very well. He is something of a first for me although I have had experience of working dogs in the past.

Growing up we bred and worked English Springer Spaniels and I also took part in several local field tests and scurries with some successes although I was very young and I learned jsut as much as my dog at the time. She was an excellent worker, extremely soft mouthed and would drop the shot after only three lessons. I also had working ferrets and so my childhood was spent in the countryside fully immersed in field sports.

Fast forward thirty years. I am now registered disabled and a student nurse, married and I have step children and a grand daughter but my love of field sports has never left me and my wife has just bought me Merlin for my recent birthday.

He is approximately eighteen months old and I have decided he will be a working dog, either to lure or lamping if I can find someone to go with. He is pictured here with our other rescue dog Freya who is a Ridgeback cross but she si just a family pet however she has accepted him very well and has already put him in his place.

Despite my familiarity with other field sports this will be my first foray into log dogs and a realisation of something of a dream. The spaniels always took precedence growing up and my parents had to say no to something.

I look forward to getting to know people and learning from those more experienced.

post-103413-0-01421600-1468336313_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Hi Justin. Excellent introduction mate! Welcome to THL site and I wish you well with your new dog. ATB

+1

Cheers, D.

Thank you to everyone. I had been told by people who have had lurchers their whole lives that anything with a saluki in the mix was not likely to be that intelligent but he has learned to retrieve in less than five mins today. Running him on a 30 ft rope attached to his collar gives him the ability to run with the other dog and gives me full control over him.

You need to get some bigger gloves then mate :)

Jokes. Welcome.

Dogs looks mint.

I'm going to need something. The Ridgeback x we have. Ironically she would also make an excellent working dog for retrieval but she is very mouthy and would damage any game but I have taught her to enter light cover. Of course because she is a pet her only interest is her ball but I will often hide it to get her quartering and the Ridgeback side really comes into its own then.

• 2 months later...