Advice For Obese Dog Please.

i have taken on a seriously fat dog.like a barrel. i am upping the exercise but diet wise am i better to feed lean meat or small amounts of dry food. i didnt make her fat and am wanting to get her in shape as quick as possible.many thanks.

If I were you I'd get her on the scales, get her exact weight, get her on an older dogs dry food, check the back of the bag for feeding guide, and knock her an ounce a week off until she drops to her ideal weight, then put her on a working dogs diet as she gets fit.

Good on you for taking her on and trying to sort her out pal :thumbs:

I'd say the advice in this thread so far is sound, small controlled portions of "senior" dry food and gentle exercise gradually building it up as she loses the weight. I really would stress being extra careful with the exercise you give her though no free running until she's dropped a fair bit of weight, fat dogs snap tendons really easy.

thanks i will get her some.i have been giving her the Same food she's used too but less. she's a good working dog by all accounts but the guy just had no work for her and she's been in kennel just gaining for the last year or so.took a few pictures so i can do a before and after once she better

• Like 3

ok so shes 18inch tts.and a grand total of 24 kilos!the breed standard is 15-22kgs.so if we went in the middle and said 18kgs target weight roughly shes gotta shed 6kgs! doesn't sound like much but if it was me having to loose 6stone that's quite a big task !

I'd feed good quality food in 2 small meals a day after she's been walked,and exercise little and often.

Preferably a proper walk in the morning and evening when it's cooler,with maybe a little leg stretch in the afternoon.

I've basically just been having her out with me around the farm all day.so from 6.30 in the morning until 8 at night she's constantly just plodding around all day.so that combined with a diet should shift a bit of blubber until she can run with the rest behind the truck ect

• Like 1
  • 9 months later...