Am looking at getting a smallish pair of aviaries to go on the decking, was going to look at putting a pair of small hookbills in each. I have been looking at things like conures, lovebirds, parrakeets or bourkes but can't get straight answers anywhere I look, ive no issue with bringing them into the house for the winter if I need to but was wondering if they had nest boxes and where sheltered could they live out most of the year?

post-73364-0-76090300-1467924444.png

I know a lot of folk do keep some types of those squawky,noisey,non native good for nothings outside all year round so the neigbours can hear them :yes: ,my one does with some of his sons ones but i can't remember or to tell you the truth i was uninterested on knowing what they are :laugh: .But i will find out for you if you want :thumbs: and he keeps them in a 6 x 4 shed with some side panels as wire and they breed in there just fine,there about the size of cockateals and are pretty enough but just not my thing mate..if you hadn't noticed :D ..

Edited by fireman
  • Like 1

You can't run a trio of bullies mate,one hen will kill the other,you should use one as a breeding unit (one goldie cock,2 canary hens) and the other to hold young un's and get some mules bred.. :thumbs:

• Like 1

Used to have a neighbour that kept lovebirds ringnecks and other parakeets in aviaries in his yard all year round, he said as long as they were sheltered from the worst of the wind and rain it was no bother :thumbs:

Am looking at getting a smallish pair of aviaries to go on the decking, was going to look at putting a pair of small hookbills in each. I have been looking at things like conures, lovebirds, parrakeets or bourkes but can't get straight answers anywhere I look, ive no issue with bringing them into the house for the winter if I need to but was wondering if they had nest boxes and where sheltered could they live out most of the year?

Build an aviary with an open wired front,South facing,wooden sides and back,perspex roof,in colder times clad the front with perspex and the occupants will be fine.Lovebirds shelter in nest box,s.Id go with painted conures or Kakariki,s.

• 4 weeks later...

Ya make sure the timber is protected wrapping mesh around on the inside will do it. parrots are murder on wooden Aviaries. Even Budgerigars will destroy timber especially those big fat show birds you lot turned them into over there.

I know a lot of folk do keep some types of those squawky,noisey,non native good for nothings outside all year round so the neigbours can hear them :yes: ,my one does with some of his sons ones but i can't remember or to tell you the truth i was uninterested on knowing what they are :laugh: .But i will find out for you if you want :thumbs: and he keeps them in a 6 x 4 shed with some side panels as wire and they breed in there just fine,there about the size of cockateals and are pretty enough but just not my thing mate..if you hadn't noticed :D ..

my mother kept lovebirds .but the noise ffs lol and the damage they do to aviaries is unreal they literally eat the bloody thing .my mothers bred like rats and all year round as well and she had a few pairs of ringnecks they were the same .id go in my mums aviary and id be half a day patching up holes they were making in the roof or sides .very hardy birds as well .but not for me lol il stick to my canaries and finches

• Like 1