Shortage of rabbits........?

Has everyone noticed the shortage of rabbits this season due to the massive outbreak of mxyamatosis.

Our area has been decimated, the worst for many years around here.

I was wondering if other areas (apart from here in the Midlands) had also been badly hit?

Rolfe

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was only saying the other night to a member of the forum by PM that they are very thin on the ground round here (Welsh Marches) for the very same reason. I have seen big numbers in some places though - I saw a whole load up the Yorkshire Dales when I was up there last month, rabbits everywhere!

OTC

Has everyone noticed the shortage of rabbits this season due to the massive outbreak of mxyamatosis.

I was wondering if other areas (apart from here in the Midlands) had also been badly hit?

Rolfe

Its been very bad in Leicestershire,i thought they were over it in october, and there were lots of late litters, but i have been out tonight just to show my face ,shot two with dixi and came home.I have some good land in Northamtonshire and Lincolnshire and its just as bad there.

Rolfe

Mixy comes and goes and is very localised. We have had quite a clear year around my way Pembury (Kent) but even on a days walk about 6-7 miles away and there was loads of cheesy eyes.

Mixxy is evil and I don't remember the last year I didn't see a case. It also tends to come and go quite quickly and often with devastating results.

I have only seen Mixxy on 2 of my sites this year and my rabbit total for the year to date is 564, but there are a lot less of them about now as you would expect.

Deker

No problems on my land, still lots of the buggers destroying the hedges :wallbash:

Looks like you could do with some help....perhaps I need to come and see you sooner rather than later....How are the Fox and Deer your way...(what sort of Deer do you have down there)...OH YES... do you have any Hare? The only place Hare appear in Berkshire is in peoples immagination.

Cheers

Deker

Rolfe

It`s been no good this year all the rabbits have gone on holiday all the cosavons are pinching them along with swans ....................nope myxi has destroyed them :censored:

No problems on my land, still lots of the buggers destroying the hedges :wallbash:

Looks like you could do with some help....perhaps I need to come and see you sooner rather than later....How are the Fox and Deer your way...(what sort of Deer do you have down there)...OH YES... do you have any Hare? The only place Hare appear in Berkshire is in peoples immagination.

Cheers

Deker

Welcome to come down Deker, still lots of fox, mostly red deer on the land, i don't have hare on my land but there is on some land i have the rights on, to be honest i i have only seen a hand full this year so i haven't really bothered with them.

If you do plan a trip down here give me a call Deker :thumbs: