Brexit Won't Mean End To Free Movement

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-3660310/ANNE-MCELVOY-Sorry-Leavers-ll-free-movement-following-Brexit.html

Less than an hour after Cameron announced he would stand down, I interviewed Philip Hammond, the foreign secretary. He knows the realities and constraints of our EU dealings inside out.

The price of free trade access to Europe’s large single market will, he told me, be retaining freedom of movement with only cosmetic tweaks. Without that commitment the EU has no reason to keep trade with Britain free of barriers that will do us severe economic damage. That might not be what the jubilant Brexiteers want to hear this weekend. It is nonetheless true.

Well almost as soon as the result came in we had people from the leave camp walking back statements and managing expectations on a whole number of things and now we've had a load of the leading figures and politicians that will be involved in the negotiations saying that free movement is likely here to stay.

So much for pulling up the drawbridge :hmm:

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It will do in the end when we get a strong, tough government that is here to serve the genuine people of the UK.   It's funny all these scaremongers, they hate the fact that we voted out. They drag

Benefits should be available to those with contributions over x amount of years. Social housing on the same basis. The implementation should be across the Board you dont work you dont get paid . Natio

Vote to leave and the EU still wants to dictate policy for the UK tell them to get f****d never mind negotiations .

Hopefully if we end up with a leader with a spine to replace Bendrightover Cameron, we might be able to do something about it. Not really interested in the current politician's opinions.

Time to start with a clean slate and make this country great again.

We all know this vote won't change much on its own. The incompetent cnuts that brought us to this point are still in charge!

Europe has every reason to continue to trade with us.....they need our trade.

We won a battle....that's all....rest, be happy then prepare to carry on. We need to keep the momentum going. If Scotland does get some independence, as seems they will then we only have London to beat in elections.

• Like 1

It will do in the end when we get a strong, tough government that is here to serve the genuine people of the UK.

It's funny all these scaremongers, they hate the fact that we voted out. They drag up any negativity.... lets see where we all are in 5 years time eh?..... :victory: :victory:

• Like 5

People need to realise that Daily Mail headlines are not the full story. The reasons that Norway for example have to follow EU rules is that they are a net exporter to the EU and much of their exports are fresh sea foods that don't travel well at the profits they an get from more local markets. The UK on the other hand is a huge net importer from the EU and if they want to continue to sell their cars, fruit & veg' and kitchen appliances over here then they had better bend over and take it right up the deficit!

• Like 4

Yeah Boris "pro-immigration, pro-immigrant, pro-amnesty" Johnson is bound to do something about it :whistling:

I didn't mention Johnson. We need a proper strong leader. I'm available if required. (But can't do Wednesdays.) :laugh:

There is a movement across Europe. Ukip had the 3Rd largest number of votes, for everyone who voted ukip two more agreed with em but didn't vote because they said it may help labour or conseratives in so they voted tactically. Gert wilders, front national....other countries now wanting a vote....especially when they loose our contribution and they all have to pay more. Scotland on the March to independence (making it less likely they can affect our government).....all this would of come to a stop if remain won.

Ignore those like BDG who stand on the sidelines smuggly belittling everything you say or feel in your heart.

It's not the end, its not the beginning of the end but it is the end of the beginning.

• Like 2

Seems the Swiss have withdrawn their application to be in the EU too...... :victory:

I think it's about time we had Proportional Representation in the UK.....it's long overdue and is the only thing, IMO, that is holding back the flood of UKIP.....

• Like 4

Seems the Swiss have withdrawn their application to be in the EU too...... :victory:

I think it's about time we had Proportional Representation in the UK.....it's long overdue and is the only thing, IMO, that is holding back the flood of UKIP.....

It is but I would also worry it would give greens, lefties and nutters a big voice. Imagine a Muslim party.....getting every single Muslim vote, they would have a growing position above us.

Get rid of Scotland and I think we could have a ukip/conserative political scene of the right proportions.