Subsistence Lifestyle Could You ???

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Think its a great Idea and something I'd like to do for a week or two to get away from everything but not as a lifestyle You could learn to really use your practical living skills properly   Troubl

I live in a cabin I built myself, no telly and probably % meat or fish I eat I caught. Got hens and now some sheep. Not really subsistence as I work but I try, can't be doing with the veggies etc thou

But how would we get on thl without the internet?

I'd love to do it but it would have to be with a bunch of people. Imo you won't get far with just yourself or the Mrs.

A lot of those sort of programs its community,everyone knows or is related to each other,but it also depends on your mindset,adaptability,and skills,that guy with the sled dogs Andy,he moved to alaska from washington because he wanted the lifestyle,he built the camp and made the move alone or with just his woman i think?

Somtimes I think he makes to much work for himself ,,,the more he has ,,,the more he needs to move it,,,,

I like him he's a handy fella,,but boy does it look a tip from the air,,lol

• Like 1

I like the idea of walking out of my door to see snow capped mountains and having no neighbours for 40 miles in any direction but the reality is I'm too lazy for a life like that.

I warched a you tube video yesterday were a family lived out in the Russian wilderness and seen nobody for 40 years... now that's out in the sticks

I think I've read about that family,,,or seen somthing....

There was some jap soldiers left on in island after ww2,,,somwhere in the Pacific ,,,,they wouldn't surrender,,,started with 5-6 but eventually after around 30 years I think there was just one. ,,the japs tried many times to get them but they kept thinking it was a ploy by the enemy ,,,,in the end the father of one of them went there,,,and he eventually surrendered ,,,I'm sure it was the 70,s by then,,,,,you got to admire there determination

The japanese were on the island of lubang in the philippines Tomo his name was hiroo onoda.
  • Like 1

Yeh socks that Glenn lad is one fit fella,,,you can see that way of life keeps you fit,,especially chopping trees down with an axe or hand saw

Did you see the size of the fukcing hole he dug through the ice by hand to get water ......

I saw him bar that ice out,i saw a guy in canada earlier this year drill down into 5 foot of ice with an auger in 10 minutes,glen makes hard work for himself,as tomo said a hand auger,its still an unpowered tool,no different from an axe,but some people just like minimalism.

Any of you chaps on this thread watched the YouTube link I put up ,,of the fella building the hut,,,he's got more on , making a bow and arrow,,,sling shot,,,fire drills ect...

Talking of fire drills anybody ever tried one,,,i bet you have socks,,,,,,I haven't but I'm dying to have a go ,,,what's the best wood for it here in the uk...and talking of glen,,,,socks, have you seen his fire drill with the bit in his mouth for downward pressure,,,so instead of a bow,,,he uses both hands on the cord that drills..

I've used a bow drill a fair few times mate ... Hard work but very effective as long as it's dry and you have small enough tinder to get it going ... I wouldn't fancy using that mouth piece ... to me it's a risk not worth taking in the middle of nowhere ... One slip and you get a stick rammed into your mouth .. Also using both hands is more effort than just using one .....

Yeh ,,good point,,,what wood is best,,I was thinking a hard wood burns well,,like hazel,,birch ,,oak,,beach ,,ect,,but never having done it,,I don't know,,,I've seen Ray do it many times,,,but apart from being abroad,,never seems to say what wood,,,if I was in a jungle,,,it would be bambo,,or in Arizona,,the flower stalk from an aloe plant,,,but feck knows what ide use here,,

Any hard wood mate as you need the friction to cause an ember ... A soft wood just crumbles into a mulch ... The biggest mistake people make is not making your drill hole Deep enough which is why the friction stick slips out as you see so many times on these tv programmes ........

• Like 2

I am a member of a bowhunting forum,coincidence today as Life Below Zero is mentioned on it,the states must have a new series? that hasnt been screened here yet?Chip Hailstone is getting criticised for chasing a musk ox with his skidoo and shooting it several times with a muzzle loader before it drops.I have also just read that Sue was attacked by a grizzly a few years ago,shot it dead,and lay alone for 10 days till help arrived,no the wonder she always describes herself as a food group and is paranoid about predators.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAL3JXZSzSm8AlZyD3nQdBA

This fella has some good videos on it,he's more advanced than Africa already and he reckons his next goal is making copper tools!

Lol,,,,so that's a NO to my question 3 posts above this one,,,

It's a yes,but I didn't see your link.

This fella's amazing too

He makes a lot of clothes from hide and can make a surgically sharp knife from flint,bone and sinew before most people could break a decent edge.

• Like 1

I am a member of a bowhunting forum,coincidence today as Life Below Zero is mentioned on it,the states must have a new series? that hasnt been screened here yet?Chip Hailstone is getting criticised for chasing a musk ox with his skidoo and shooting it several times with a muzzle loader before it drops.I have also just read that Sue was attacked by a grizzly a few years ago,shot it dead,and lay alone for 10 days till help arrived,no the wonder she always describes herself as a food group and is paranoid about predators.

Yeh she mentions that bear attack a few times in the first series ,,,

I could go live off grid but not subsistence, love the idea of a shack with a few mod cons few acres to potter about in and spend the the time away from the grind, but still have the the freedom to drive somewhere when needed and contact with others when I choose it plus the safety net of money in the bank when needed and healthcare/gunshop etc.

• Like 1