False Accusations

i don't want to jump into the other thread which is really none of my business, but i thought i would tell you about a friend of mine and something that happened to him. this was about 5 years ago.

my mate, we'll call him john, is a general handyman/builder, in his 40s, divorced, no kids, but has done voluntary work for local youth clubs and kids centres etc for years. about 5 years ago he met a woman and started a relationship, she ended up moving into his house and her 13 year old daughter too.

after a few weeks the girl tells her teacher that john has been touching her. all hell breaks loose, he is arrested, put on remand, eventually let out on some sort of licence or bail but banned from his own house where the woman and girl are living. (the woman backs her daughter, which is only right) ends up in some sort of hostel.

one day he is walking down the road and bumps into the girl. asks her why she is doing this to him, and she just says "i don't like you". he bursts into tears in the street, and it seems that this has an effect on the girl because she goes home and tells her mum that she made it all up. the police visit john, tell him the good news and that he is totally in the clear. although his relationship ends his life is soon back to normal. the whole thing was several months of absolute hell for him.

3 months ago john was asked to do some work for a local play scheme. he had steered clear for a long time as a few local people had still made comments about him and he thought it safer to stay away. well, when he sent for his police check, it came back as all clear, but here is where the sinister stuff starts. two police officers visited the operator of the scheme, and said that john had previously been investigated for child sex offences (very vague and misleading description) and that he should not be employed. said that there were still question marks over him. all this despite the fact that officially his record was clean. so there is obviously another set of records that we don't know about. luckliy the operator has known john for years and said she was willing to take the chance. everything was fine of course.

the point i am making is that false accusations should not be made lightly an d can cause real and lasting harm. its no joke. even someone like john, with supportive friends and family and who was never seriously under real danger of conviction, and is a tough old boywas almost suicidal at times so just think before you say something you don't really mean.

• Like 10

I know of a simler story he was wrongly accused and got six years jail poor cnut had health problems and died in jail

i bet dlloyd will feel great after reading this comment. hes probably feeling bad enough as it is.

Or get a damn good slap the cheeky cnut.I know a poor "john" aswel, the impact it can have on folk who are wrongly accused of a sex crime is appalling imo.the person/persons who start the shit should get jailed. Hope that dai and family can get back to normality and it doesn't have a lasting effect. Atb dc

i don't want to jump into the other thread which is really none of my business, but i thought i would tell you about a friend of mine and something that happened to him. this was about 5 years ago.

my mate, we'll call him john, is a general handyman/builder, in his 40s, divorced, no kids, but has done voluntary work for local youth clubs and kids centres etc for years. about 5 years ago he met a woman and started a relationship, she ended up moving into his house and her 13 year old daughter too.

after a few weeks the girl tells her teacher that john has been touching her. all hell breaks loose, he is arrested, put on remand, eventually let out on some sort of licence or bail but banned from his own house where the woman and girl are living. (the woman backs her daughter, which is only right) ends up in some sort of hostel.

one day he is walking down the road and bumps into the girl. asks her why she is doing this to him, and she just says "i don't like you". he bursts into tears in the street, and it seems that this has an effect on the girl because she goes home and tells her mum that she made it all up. the police visit john, tell him the good news and that he is totally in the clear. although his relationship ends his life is soon back to normal. the whole thing was several months of absolute hell for him.

3 months ago john was asked to do some work for a local play scheme. he had steered clear for a long time as a few local people had still made comments about him and he thought it safer to stay away. well, when he sent for his police check, it came back as all clear, but here is where the sinister stuff starts. two police officers visited the operator of the scheme, and said that john had previously been investigated for child sex offences (very vague and misleading description) and that he should not be employed. said that there were still question marks over him. all this despite the fact that officially his record was clean. so there is obviously another set of records that we don't know about. luckliy the operator has known john for years and said she was willing to take the chance. everything was fine of course.

the point i am making is that false accusations should not be made lightly an d can cause real and lasting harm. its no joke. even someone like john, with supportive friends and family and who was never seriously under real danger of conviction, and is a tough old boywas almost suicidal at times so just think before you say something you don't really mean.

There is nothing sinister going on there , there is a crb check and there is an enhanced crb check which details everything including claims etc which would be applied to working with children etc

• Like 1

3 months ago john was asked to do some work for a local play scheme. he had steered clear for a long time as a few local people had still made comments about him and he thought it safer to stay away. well, when he sent for his police check, it came back as all clear, but here is where the sinister stuff starts. two police officers visited the operator of the scheme, and said that john had previously been investigated for child sex offences (very vague and misleading description) and that he should not be employed. said that there were still question marks over him. all this despite the fact that officially his record was clean. so there is obviously another set of records that we don't know about. luckliy the operator has known john for years and said she was willing to take the chance. everything was fine of course. d

There is nothing sinister going on there , there is a crb check and there is an enhanced crb check which details everything including claims etc which would be applied to working with children etc

yep i understand that about the CRB check etc but all the checks came back clear, officially he has a clean record. actually they are now called DBS checks, not CRB checks any more

Whatever they're called, it's outrageous that citizens are being socially punished when not found guilty of a damn thing by our judicial system!

What sort of society does that breed? A safe one?........ bollocks!

• Like 1