Struggling To Zero!

I've got a Webley Stingray II here that I haven't picked up for ages. Before I go splashing loads of money on a Pcp I thought I'd zero it and have a little play. I started with an a4 piece of paper about 15 yards away and aiming at the centre, it wasn't even hitting the paper! After a bit of guessing where the pellets were landing I managed to eventually get it down to hitting about 2/3inches below where I want to hit at 25 yards but I'm now out of clicks on the adjuster.

Any help on this?

You may have a bit of barrel droop my man. Symptoms are sure signs of it.

If you can imagine your rifle is the bottom diagram here... you can see why you'd run out of clicks on the optic.

Barrel droop does not effect the accuracy of the rifle, its just a bit annoying, and can sometimes get to you in the mind a bit.

post-94709-0-22706200-1466499271.jpg

Better visual example.

Although this is a bad case of droop, it doesn't actually effect iron sighted rifles as the rear and front sight are on the same 'plane'.

It only takes a very small amount of mis alignment for it to make a massive difference out at 25-30 yards with a scope.

post-94709-0-36038500-1466499435.jpg

Makes sense mate! I'll have a look and see if there's anything noticeable! Been target shooting all morning getting my eye back in, can hit where I need to but I have to aim 3 dots down on my mildot scope to hit what I need. Just dropped a pigeon with a headshot though so it can still do the job...

• Like 2

you may be able to put a bit of packing in the bottom of the rear scope mount . also your mounts may be out by reversing the mounts front to the back and back to the front that may work . also different pellets will effect a bit . check your barrel is shutting tight and there is nothing stopping it shutting properly .

Haven't got any photo negatives but have plenty of tin foil. Say my rifles shooting about 2 inches high how much do I need to shim? :S

I'm going to wind it back, say 10 clicks, shim then hopefully use the clicks to get it spot on.

What's all this talk about optically cantering and do I need to do this? I was thinking take all the mounts off, swap them over and try zero off that, if I still can't manage it, shim the rear? Is this right or do I need to shim the front if it's shooting higher than I'm aiming?

Let's get this clear. Is the gun shooting high or low?

If low but was not before, you barrel is bent down, or the latch spring is defective.

Or the scope ocular bell is bent up.

Shooting higher than before then the barrel is bent up, common on tripping the trigger with the barrel still broken and or the ocular bell has been bent towards the gun.

U.

Sorry guys, objective lens end, not ocular.

Edited by Underdog

I was aiming at bullseye, pellets were hitting two inches higher. I've managed to get the mounts off with brute force and a star key as suggested and have shimmed the front mount with a cut to size, piece of yogurt pot plastic.

Haven't shot it again but will do soon to see if it's made much difference.

• Like 1