Bushing Lurchers

dont mind a lurcher hitting cover hard when in pursuit of quarry and even following in but to have one ratching about deep in cover with the bushers as game is exiting 40 yards away aint no use to me so cant see the point,maybe the type cover you hunt plays a part fecked if i know lol

• Like 3

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You be surprised where this hound X gets !  

This 3/4 whippet 1/4 beddy isn't shy of hitting cover. Never stops and if something is there it's coming out...  

One of mine he's not a small lurcher but will hit cover full on an push on to catch.  

Posted Images

Read my posts......bitch enters cover......bolts game......and is quick enough to follow up. Quite simple really. And is working alongside much bigger lurchers and saves f****n about with terriers dropping in or hounds giving tongue when youre making detours across "unfamiliar ground" :D

• Like 1

dont mind a lurcher hitting cover hard when in pursuit of quarry and even following in but to have one ratching about deep in cover with the bushers as game is exiting 40 yards away aint no use to me so cant see the point,maybe the type cover you hunt plays a part fecked if i know lol

Maybe it depends on the ground like you say. I reckon 90% of the times my terrier bolts something from cover she's right behind it and follows it out. Obviously she can't run but if she could, she would be doing the flushing and the catching.

I can see why lads want to go down this route.

Read my posts......bitch enters cover......bolts game......and is quick enough to follow up. Quite simple really. And is working alongside much bigger lurchers and saves f****n about with terriers dropping in or hounds giving tongue when youre making detours across "unfamiliar ground" :D

i read the first post no mention of working it along side bigger lurchers hence my comment,contrary to popular belief not everything on here is about getting one up on others or even arguing a point,i can see in certain circumstances a lurcher could enter cover and follow up if its pushed something out,you make it sound very easy must be a big plus for you but what i find is a lot of game in thick cover will try and slip away un noticed long before the bushers up its arse hence my lurcher needs to be out side at all times.it works for you fair play,mine works for me atb

Maybe it depends on the ground like you say. I reckon 90% of the times my terrier bolts something from cover she's right behind it and follows it out. Obviously she can't run but if she could, she would be doing the flushing and the catching.

I can see why lads want to go down this route.

im not disputing what your saying nor whats said above i just think personaly i catch more with a lurcher that stays out side cover and knows its job,not even saying one way is better than the other personal preference maybe,take your picture you put up for example if something slipped out 20/30yards further up the bit cover would your dog be any the wiser id think probably not is all im saying cheers

• Like 2

I think it's swings and roundabouts, though personally now that I've (finally) reached the point of working a busher and lurcher together I like one on the inside and the other on the outside. But a lurcher that bushes its own quarry is a hell of a useful dog - a mate of mine used to have a first cross beddy/grey that was superb at it and put absolutely loads of game away. He could only keep one dog at a time so for him it was essential the dog was good at finding on its own.

• Like 2
  • 3 months later...
Guest foxpack

Gear I've missed due to a lurcher entering cover over years mooching about by myself is unreal.always like a lurcher to be outside .watching .listening.trying to make its own mind up where to stand.

• Like 3

Bushing various quarry out of the rough, with a terrier /lurcher combo is my favourite style of hunting,...for me, its the Sport of Kings..I just love it... :laugh:

However, when out and about with my wee Cur,..I would expect her to hit a bush if she knows there is a rabbit ensconced within...

No point in waiting outside,...coz posing ain't gonna get us that bolt....

Variables,...its all down to variables... :laugh::laugh:

• Like 2

Definitely pros and cons to both. I've also missed my share because the lurchers have been in the cover or sniffing around the cover and not stood back waiting for the bolt.

My brindle bitch has switched on this last 12 months since being around bushers more and tends to position herself well. The red bitch thinks she's a busher and is inside. Lol