Pellet Ricochet

Last year zeroing my air arms at 25 mtrs on a old slab of wood i use as a cutting block a pellet bounced back the 25 mtrs i thought i had hit a knot in the wood , After that i used bags of sand

• Like 1

Last year zeroing my air arms at 25 mtrs on a old slab of wood i use as a cutting block a pellet bounced back the 25 mtrs i thought i had hit a knot in the wood , After that i used bags of sand

Yes virtually the same thing earlier this year I hit a knot in some timber and the bugger bounced back past my head...I heard it whizzing past my ear!! Very lucky indeed. I tend to use plenty of old carpet inside a box now with a wooden backstop to that!
  • Like 1

Are you shooting at targets ! In the garden

If so use a 3" thick 3' square pice of insulation , cavity fill , and a thick slab behind that , it works for me , and touch wood , nothing has ever bounced back or out of the foam

If you need some Robb , let me know , I'm in Birmingham , and can drop some off for you

Atb

• Like 1

Thanks for the offer Dave I can get cavity wall insulation as I am a bricklayer it's a good idea I have just moved house so intend to build a permanent pellet trap in the garden I will try the insulation .

• Like 1

Back in the day, when I was a nipper, like mid 90's I remember shooting at a mates house, his grandparents' place. It was very open, as in the garden, and we had a target set up on a tree stump. Just pinned in like. The house was on the corner of a oval culdesack, with a football field in the middle and a road running around the edge.

Anyway, he took a shot with his old TX, the old mk1's I took a shot with my S300 and two holes appeared on the paper. 5 mins later, a neighbor from the other f'kin side came ranting over accusing us of shooting at them. None of us knew what the f**k had happened or what she was on about, and things got emotional... only for years later, I this is true, it dawned on me what had happened. The pellet had hit a knot in the stump, and pinged 80 years and hit her car, of which she was in.

I was bricking it at the time as I'd just been busted by the old bill for shooting a sparrow the week before.

True story that.

• Like 2

The ricochet that hit me in the eye was in a field while shooting paper targets and it hit god knows what it hit, it must have been something like a pebblee in the hedge bottom. Used to use rim fire and had occasional ping on ploughed fields that's why I chose fac air instead. Really paranoid about ricochet shots now every time I hear one it reminds me of my accident. Waiting a couple of weeks for the patch to come off to see if my eye was ok was a feeling you can't forget. Obviously you can't buy eyes and changed the way I look at my backstop forever.

• Like 3

Hard wooden backstops, like old kitchen worktops of thick MDF and Mellomine (or however you spell it) or even a tree woodknot are dangerous for causing rebounds with sub-12 ft/lb guns and pellets. If there's not enough power to punch the pellet in deep, enough at least to the rim of the skirt, the pellet will deform on a hard, resistant surface to a ball of lead and come straight back with almost the same force that shot it there. It's like beating a hammer on an anvil top. It comes flying back in your hand and could smash you in the head!

Be careful what you choose for a backstop when plinking/target shooting.

• Like 1

We always use brochures, selotaped together, against a paving slab in he back of the shed.

My daughters first rifle was a .22 SMK XS501. It was a lot of fun. Early last year, the backstop behind the brochures was a sheet of ply that had a baton screwed on to it, about 3ft up, to rest the brochures on.

I took a couple of shots at it from 27yrds while the Co2 was low. The last shot hit the ply below the target, bounced straight back and hit me on the top of the head.

My missus nearly pissed herself laughing.

Edited by Jonjon79
  • Like 1

I had a webley air plstol when I was a kid we put a empty pellet tin in a small stream by my house and we would try to shoot it . I hit it once and the pellet bounced off the tin hit my mate on the Arse . He did jump .