Sh!t Weather/boredom/curiosity

thought id see how my .177 tx200hc fairs up with the send away tuning debate!

took the stock off a while ago to see if i could bring the grain out a bit more and seal the wood a bit better... should of let jimmy have it :whistling:

while i had the stock off i thought id have a look at the internals, see how its fairing inside!

glad i did because it was pretty sparse on the grease front and the top piston ring was in need of a rub down as it had a burr that was sending it up the chamber slightly out of line causing the piston seal to ware unevenly, luckily it hadn't worn much but it would of required one in the future if i hadn't sorted it!

so i degreased everything and gave all the internal surfaces a rubdown with oil and a scottchbright then fully degreased again!

so i regreased the spring and piston rings with some moly and added a washer to the stack as it was only running at about 10.5lb.

not sure you can call this a home tune but it certainly improved the cocking smoothness and upped the power!

so this morning the weathers rubbish and I'm kicking my heels... i decide to open the back door and do a bit of testing!

tried the pellet on the scope thing five times and it never dropped one :laugh:

before!

post-102306-0-17862500-1465740890.jpg

after

post-102306-0-79923200-1465740957.jpg

then it brightened up a bit so thought id check the power/consistancy

i did a few group tests first cos i wanted to see what the bisley mags did and it wasn't good so i tried the fap's that none of my pcp's will group and was well chuffed cos they group just as well as the aa fields :thumbs:

so heres the average with 7.33 fap's

post-102306-0-21434700-1465741669.jpg

post-102306-0-59587800-1465741699.jpg

fap's bottom left others inc bis mags

post-102306-0-31774700-1465741805.jpg

good job I'm usually busy or id put crap like this up all the time! :blink:

atb si

• Like 7

You can put crap like that up all day long Si, it's what it's all about.

What ever you did has obviously smoothed something out and lessened the hold sensitivity so top job pal. Keep crap that coming????

• Like 2

thinking about getting beat up thumb hole 97 to fix up,i like my thumb holes... got knackered hands from laying bloody bricks:(

but a lot of these rifles/guns are a pice of p!ss to work on and we all have mobile phones to take pictures of the strip down so if you've got a bit of confidence id say go for it!

if it goes wrong just back track !

have fun and get to know your gun :thumbs:

pulled and fettled a few pcp's and there no great shakes either!

if it all goes t!ts up there are plenty of good lads on here who will help you out! just ask :thumbs:

atb si

Nice one fella. I think all the worry about self tuning goes once you have opened them up and you realise they are pretty straight forward, it would be very hard work to un knowingly make them worse.

The trigger block can be more of a pain in the HW's but after your first go at it they are just as easy as anything else.

Nice one fella. I think all the worry about self tuning goes once you have opened them up and you realise they are pretty straight forward, it would be very hard work to un knowingly make them worse.

The trigger block can be more of a pain in the HW's but after your first go at it they are just as easy as anything else.

cheers jonnie

ill have to do a bit of geeking up on them!

i originally went to get a 97 and walked out with the 200, its the stock that sold it for me but its fighting against me!

i only use it for practice sessions but cos i spend quite a lot of time doing it me bloody thumb locks out using the sporter stock :cray:

and I've got to confess the bear trap dose my head in, if you don't bang it right home it won't release!

time to get on the look out

atb si

got to confess there about as basic as they come :thumbs:

cheers jon

That's the beauty of them mate - nice rifles and, they're not over-engineered. I've only been back to air rifles for just over a year so, my TX seems to be the perfect thing for me to tinker with.

I've built up a small collection of parts - seals, pistons, springs.

I had mine apart again today - gave it a good degrease and polish inside.

I fitted a lightweight ally piston - it's longer than the AA one but, shorter than the AA one with a TBT short stroke kit fitted. I put a Vmach seal on and used a Titan spring. Regreased it all and reassembled.

The Vmac seal was was a little tight - the TX was putting out around 7.5ftlb at first with FAPs (10.43gn) but, after 50ish shots it rose to around 9.5ftlb. I think that the seal is bedding in quickly.

I took it apart again and added a couple of washers - This got it to around 10.6ftlb so, I'll leave it as is for now to see how it beds in while I keep an eye on the ftlb and fps.

The firing cycle is nice with just a gentle nudge - I see the reticle move slightly when I fire at a 25yrd target.

Cocking and firing are both smoother now.

I may leave it like this for a couple of months then, change it again.

For anyone thinking of tinkering, I'd say 'go for it'. You get to know your rifle - good and bad. It's also fun, especially when you hit on a marked improvement.

Atb :good:

• Like 1

a lot of people recon that 10.6 is about the magic number for springers!

maybe i get a bir t carried away but i like how it feels at the mo... ill be keeping a checking it though cos i don't need a knock on the door !

sounds like you've got yours pretty much spot on and your right about doing it yourself :thumbs:

if it wasn't for my thumb locking out on it i think i might of done a bit more but i can see a 97t on the horizon :D

atb si

I had another play with it again this morning - I pumped the cocking arm a few times and put 20 shots through it to get it warmed up. I was using the FAPs again.

I then gave it 10 shots through the Combro......

S1. 598fps / 10.65ftlb

S2. 599fps / 10.70ftlb

S3. 605fps / 10.90ftlb

S4. 596fps / 10.58ftlb

S5. 602fps / 10.81ftlb

S6. 603fps / 10.82ftlb

S7. 603fps / 10.84ftlb

S8. 600fps / 10.71ftlb

S9. 603fps / 10.82ftlb

S10. 603fps / 10.82ftlb

I then had a go at some targets - 30yrds, indoors.

The lower group is 8 shots standing, leaning against a door frame. This is my best ever standing group with a springer :thumbs: I'm not sure that I could repeat it easily - I just felt particularly on form this morning.

The other group is 10 shots, kneeling, supported on a chair.

I'm hoping that the seal and piston will bed in to feel smoother and, that the power will creep up to the mid 11s. I do want to properly hunt with this eventually but, I need a fair bit more practice before I'm happy to. Accuracy is king but, I'd like the power to be at a level where I have the best chance of a clean kill.

post-102688-0-25316800-1466233722_thumb.jpg

Edited by Jonjon79

..... Also, the firing cycle feels more snappy now. I think this is because the seal is starting to wear to the inside of the chamber. I don't mind this - I think the quick cycle helps me with accuracy.

The original Air Arms piston was 218 grams. The new ally one is 142 grams.

A highly tuned hw97k is a rifle to behold and in mop the best there is even better than a pro sport

iv had 100,s of them and once they are tuned what a rifle they become you can keep the tx,s

and yes even the pro sport

mine had a full vmach kit a welsh willy trigger and blade and a vmach safety

wish i still had her

atvbmac :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs:

That's good consistency John you won't get any poi variation at all!

And the groups are pretty good too the snappier / quicker the cycle less time for error !

Looks like money well spent:)

And it's going to get better the more you use it :)

Atb si