Kits In A Not

Iv kept ferrets a lot of years now , but this morning I checked on my Jill that gave birth on Friday night I like to leve um a day or to to settle down before checking, when I opened box up they was all still attached with ther ambilcal cords 2 had died but I have managed to save the other 5 , any one had this before?

Got call from fella 3 years ago,,had the very same problem as yourself,,,,,,, had to call over to see what I could do never meet the fella in me life,,,,got there they were all in a pink ball never seen it happen before,,,cut all the cords with small scissors cuunnt of a job to do,,,there was only shaving in the bed told him to take them out and put in hay,,,I put it down to shavings in the box stuck to kits and ferret couldn't bite cord or clean them,,, phoned me week later to say only 1 died out of nine he was delighted,,,,I never use shavings just hay never had any problems in over 20 years breeding and bedding ferret....................

• Like 1

Interesting: only ever had this happen once, and the nest was hay. Ever since I've used straw, and no problems. The thinking being that hay is too soft and more likely to wind around the umbilical cords than straw. Maybe it's got nothing to do with the bedding and more to do with the jill not chewing the cords off close enough to the kits' belly.

Dont think it would matter what the bedding was , i think its the mothering instinct of the jill with her first litter she doesnt know what to do but you would think her mothering instinct would take over if it doesnt and she looses them you put it down to a learning curve

Sorry to hear your unfortunate news. I've worked in agriculture for a number of years, mainly livestock farming, and it's usually young, inexperienced mothers that lose their offspring or have problems giving birth. I doubt very much if the bedding was a major factor, although giving birth in a pile of dusty wood shavings doesn't sound like much fun. Just as an extra point, hay is also very dusty, so I always use straw. It's clean, relatively dust free, and doesn't attract mites etc. That's why all livestock farmers use it for bedding. It's also cheap if you buy a bale at a time, or free if you know a farmer.

• Like 1

I've had kits born this morning to a first time mother and the Jill was walking around the hutch dragging 2 kits still attached by the umbilical still hanging out of her both where alive.she's sorted them all out now so fingers crossed no damage done

• Like 2