Best Alround Terrier?

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This little dog is what I call a alrounder.at the jobs I want him to do.I can shout him of the biggest of spots .also can dig to him when needed.   I can take him ferreting .he will mark true as a

lol I dug to him enough times to know hes a digging dog , I bushed with him enough times to know he was a top bushing dog , I shot pheasant geese duck all retrieved off water as well to know he cou

IMO you can't have an all round terrier simply for the fact that a good digging dog will drop to ground as soon as it finds an occupied earth ... So if you were out for a days bushing that's your day

What terrier breed do u find best for ferreting , digging , working with the gun and bushing just terriers like patterdales , borders etc no spaniel crosses

All terrier breeds,if educated and allowed,will bush and ratch about on top nearly as well as each other,the differences will be mostly insignificant in the majority of kennels,when it comes to digging there is a world of difference between many terriers,often dependant on the type of hunting kennel they come out of.I prefer the versatility of the Beddy types,others prefer,Russels,others Fells and others Plummers and many combinations of each.Id not be putting to much emphasis into what others deem "best",its far to confusing and irrelevant as most of them will suffice and serve honest purpose,the kennel they come from is the biggest factor in their hunting suitability.

• Like 4

If you want it to do the lot then buy a pup from a long line of earth dogs, proven parents grand parents etc, then rear the pup as a mooching dog under control, ratting, then show it an occupied earth with a seasoned worker in it and let it have a look, you should have the full package then, but if you buy a pup out of bushing dogs chances are it won't tick all the boxes

IMO you can't have an all round terrier simply for the fact that a good digging dog will drop to ground as soon as it finds an occupied earth ... So if you were out for a days bushing that's your day finished and you have a drama on your hands if you havnt got the correct kit with you to dig to the dog ... The only way to combat this is to break the dog from going to ground therefore you haven't got a dog that can do both jobs ... A terrier is either a bushing type or a digging type .......

• Like 5

My old jr was an all rounder superb ferreter and digging dog and an asset in general plus very well behaved. But as socks says I never left home with out a shovel. If we were out digging I just kept him on a lead as he would be off marking rabbits other wise. Also if ferreting and I new the area I just avoided earths but obviously things can pop up any where and I remember a few ferreting trips going tits up but some times a nice easy fox in a hedge was a bonus but then things could go the other way and you ended up with a right pain in the arse situation you really didn't want :no:

marking the old rabbits like a good lad note the locator :)

14820425510_689efd8f19_c.jpg

and the other side of the scale :thumbs:

16753368695_3a3b1d2fe2_c.jpg

most terriers seem to turn there hand to most things very versatile little dogs

• Like 3

no he wasn't that round more of a semicircle :laugh: but in fairness I never attempted to train him to do such. But he had a lot going for him :thumbs:

Never forget the way if he marked out of site he would let me know where he was. Then the nack of driving bullocks back out the way if we were ferreting unless he sensed they weren't going to back off then he nipped the other side of the hedge and worked it from there

My plummer will retrieve anything she catches to me but i don't shoot so never worked her to a gun as such but have known a few other lads who's plummers were also peg dogs when they shot,mine can work with ferrets,nets,bush and she'll also go to ground to work a fox.Just once a good few years back i dug to her on a rabbit but she's never entered a rabbit bury after a rabbit since,but if your not into digging then breaking them to a fox ain't much different than any stock breaking imo :thumbs: ..

• Like 2

IMO you can't have an all round terrier simply for the fact that a good digging dog will drop to ground as soon as it finds an occupied earth ... So if you were out for a days bushing that's your day finished and you have a drama on your hands if you havnt got the correct kit with you to dig to the dog ... The only way to combat this is to break the dog from going to ground therefore you haven't got a dog that can do both jobs ... A terrier is either a bushing type or a digging type .......

what if you can call your dog off if needed ? whilst out bushing ,

Edited by green lurchers

If you can call your dog off its quarry then it's not a digging dog .....

If you can call your dog off its quarry then it's not a digging dog .....

lol I dug to him enough times to know hes a digging dog , I bushed with him enough times to know he was a top bushing dog , I shot pheasant geese duck all retrieved off water as well to know he could retrieve , I called him out when needed for my reasons but never while out bushing , if you can call a dog out if needed that's a smart all round terrier one you probably will never set eyes on , oh I forgot pidgeon lol

Edited by green lurchers
  • Like 5