Best Alround Terrier?

I would of thought a jagd terrier would tick all the boxs they are the only terrier bred for allround work.

Wrong, the only terrier purposely bred as an all rounder was the plummer,look at the breeds in its make up, as for your retrieving question well all dogs can be taught to retrieve, starts with any soft toy in the garden as a pup and developed from there, I bought a good friend of mine a patterdale off a hard well known digging dog in Liverpool, my mate used to be the secretary of a working gun dog club and although a bit hard mouthed loved a day shooting/retrieving, a bit of brain and patience on both sides will do it, a good Plummer works anything you care to teach it,very intelligent and thrives on any work, Socks, you are very wrong in your assessment of terrier work, I can call all my terriers out (eventually) providing they have not engaged their quarry but if they've had a bite then its a dig, anyone with any sort of terrier would never leave home without a spade/torch,etc in the van,I find the more time you spend in the field with your animals the better they are and helps them understand whats acceptable and whats not, WM

Lol your telling me I am very wrong then agreeing with what I said ... Have another read of what I wrote ... I said that if a terrier was up on his quarry you should never be able to call it out which you have just confirmed ... So if that happens on a days bushing then that's the days bushing over so the dog can't be an all rounder ... By the way I kept digging terriers for a long time and it's only very recently that I haven't had a bushing terrier in my pack .......

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This little dog is what I call a alrounder.at the jobs I want him to do.I can shout him of the biggest of spots .also can dig to him when needed.   I can take him ferreting .he will mark true as a

lol I dug to him enough times to know hes a digging dog , I bushed with him enough times to know he was a top bushing dog , I shot pheasant geese duck all retrieved off water as well to know he cou

IMO you can't have an all round terrier simply for the fact that a good digging dog will drop to ground as soon as it finds an occupied earth ... So if you were out for a days bushing that's your day

I would of thought a jagd terrier would tick all the boxs they are the only terrier bred for allround work.

Wrong, the only terrier purposely bred as an all rounder was the plummer,look at the breeds in its make up, as for your retrieving question well all dogs can be taught to retrieve, starts with any soft toy in the garden as a pup and developed from there, I bought a good friend of mine a patterdale off a hard well known digging dog in Liverpool, my mate used to be the secretary of a working gun dog club and although a bit hard mouthed loved a day shooting/retrieving, a bit of brain and patience on both sides will do it, a good Plummer works anything you care to teach it,very intelligent and thrives on any work, Socks, you are very wrong in your assessment of terrier work, I can call all my terriers out (eventually) providing they have not engaged their quarry but if they've had a bite then its a dig, anyone with any sort of terrier would never leave home without a spade/torch,etc in the van,I find the more time you spend in the field with your animals the better they are and helps them understand whats acceptable and whats not, WM

Lol your telling me I am very wrong then agreeing with what I said ... Have another read of what I wrote ... I said that if a terrier was up on his quarry you should never be able to call it out which you have just confirmed ... So if that happens on a days bushing then that's the days bushing over so the dog can't be an all rounder ... By the way I kept digging terriers for a long time and it's only very recently that I haven't had a bushing terrier in my pack .......

I take it you broke your bushing terriers from going to ground,just out of curiosity how did you do that?

I've never had to but might one day.

Edited by neems

I take it you broke your bushing terriers from going to ground,just out of curiosity how did you do that?

I've never had to but might one day.

Simple really my bushing terriers were either failed digging dogs that didn't want to go to ground for love nor money or if I was starting with a pup I would pick a litter from soft none digging dogs and then obviously only allow them to go head deep to mark a rabbit warren ... Most terriers off none digging parents won't stay to ground when they have met something with teeth ........

• Like 1
Guest foxpack

This little dog is what I call a alrounder.at the jobs I want him to do.I can shout him of the biggest of spots .also can dig to him when needed.

12405283_946087865469664_464268433_o_zps

I can take him ferreting .he will mark true as a dye.Be 100% round ferrets n nets and will never drop in on rabbits .

IMAG0628_zpsbk8qm3af.jpg

He will hunt all day long through any cover or wood ..even doing rockpiles for Fox.

IMAG0675_zpsclwqmrbg.jpg

We have a great bond also.

IMAG1164_zpse05yod8v.jpg

• Like 16

Socks, all my dogs are from pups and they certainly understand not to enter any hole they mark without the command of either"get on" to enter,or "move on" and leave it, very occasionally and its normally a dog (male) that will follow in, thats when depending where I am or what the job is it is decision time,quick call out or try for a bolt,if not dig, its easier on permission these days to flush to the gun or cage trap, the only time I cannot call out these terriers is if they've took a bite because then you are wasting your time shouting,I always have at least 3 terriers with me and at least 1 lurcher so if it was free reign for them to do as they like it would be bedlam, good dog work as you know is systematic and regulated to avoid chaos, I also must add that the Plummers I keep will mark any active hole whether its rabbit,rat,or anything else,intelligent dogs soon cotton on to what we want from them but a good nose and plenty of brains will always help, its not very often I get a mistake and if I do its always a pup learning the boundaries, bushing is what they do every day but in an average week they will be expected to be used ferreting,hawking,shooting,ratting,moving livestock and anything else we come across and its the same with the lurcher, as said "all rounders", WM

This little dog is what I call a alrounder.at the jobs I want him to do.I can shout him of the biggest of spots .also can dig to him when needed.

12405283_946087865469664_464268433_o_zps

I can take him ferreting .he will mark true as a dye.Be 100% round ferrets n nets and will never drop in on rabbits .

IMAG0628_zpsbk8qm3af.jpg

He will hunt all day long through any cover or wood ..even doing rockpiles for Fox.

IMAG0675_zpsclwqmrbg.jpg

We have a great bond also.

IMAG1164_zpse05yod8v.jpg

nice one foxpack have heard very good things about that little dog of yours

i'm sure earthdogs can make good allrounders but to me that is placing a purpose bred dog in the wrong environment and a waste. if i wanted an allrounder i would go for a russell or plummer or maybe a crossbred. simply becouse over the years ive found these to be the best for allround work. i do favour the plummer for what i do . all my plummers naturally retreive :thumbs:

• Like 3

i'm sure earthdogs can make good allrounders but to me that is placing a purpose bred dog in the wrong environment and a waste. if i wanted an allrounder i would go for a russell or plummer or maybe a crossbred. simply becouse over the years ive found these to be the best for allround work. i do favour the plummer for what i do . all my plummers naturally retreive :thumbs:

thing is the lad wants it to be an earth dog as well, I agree if you're a purist terrier man( as I once was) , but if you haven't a great deal of spots to work it in, (deep places are iffy by me), then get the most out of it and use it for everything, it only has to please you at the end of the day , they don't drop in on bunnys when they've seen enough so you aren't ruining it,
  • Like 2

. Sorry to disagree mate, but Plummer was just a fraud puppy farmer like his mate Hancock, not saying there is anything wrong with your dogs, but that is down to subsequent owners and the work they have put into the line, the only thing Plummer added was the colour, that made them look different so he could charge pedigree prices, in over 30 years of owning terriers I,ve had one that fits the description,s I,e hedge, retrieve work to ground, and come out after a bit of calling, she was a border Russell cross that I got from the dogs home, at 6 wks, the main ingredient in all of this was the fact I was young, fit, on the dole and spent my every waking hour hunting,shooting and fishing, and she was always with me and had the right temperament to learn, there is know perfect breed or line, you get out what you put in and every now and then that special dog comes along

IMO you can't have an all round terrier simply for the fact that a good digging dog will drop to ground as soon as it finds an occupied earth ... So if you were out for a days bushing that's your day finished and you have a drama on your hands if you havnt got the correct kit with you to dig to the dog ... The only way to combat this is to break the dog from going to ground therefore you haven't got a dog that can do both jobs ... A terrier is either a bushing type or a digging type .......

what if you can call your dog off if needed ? whilst out bushing ,

If you can call your dog off its quarry then it's not a digging dog .....

lol I dug to him enough times to know hes a digging dog , I bushed with him enough times to know he was a top bushing dog , I shot pheasant geese duck all retrieved off water as well to know he could retrieve , I called him out when needed for my reasons but never while out bushing , if you can call a dog out if needed that's a smart all round terrier one you probably will never set eyes on , oh I forgot pidgeon lol
fair play mate, that is a proper all rounder , I have owned and seen terriers that were used as alrounder , started of as a purist terrier on chain getting a mark of lurcher then digging terrier out, trouble is they only got of lead once a week through season if that , then started using them as alrounders and had a lot more sport with them,earth dogs can be trained the same as any other dogs, I used nuttells old stuff powells stuff woodcock and seen some right hard mute ones used for ferreting bushing and on shoots

dog was with me 24/7 smartest dog I see , he didn't ferret only thing I never kept at the time , dug him at 7mts , if I picked gun up he knew what to do , if I picked shovel up he knew what was required , dog was too smart , and if needed I could call him out off what ever they call it he listened to me , and would work hand signals a proper allrounder same as the title of the thread

should have called him out if he was at7mt would have saved you some digging lol

IMO you can't have an all round terrier simply for the fact that a good digging dog will drop to ground as soon as it finds an occupied earth ... So if you were out for a days bushing that's your day finished and you have a drama on your hands if you havnt got the correct kit with you to dig to the dog ... The only way to combat this is to break the dog from going to ground therefore you haven't got a dog that can do both jobs ... A terrier is either a bushing type or a digging type .......

Totally disagree socks,the majority of graft all my terriers encounter is thrashing about on top,if and when they have the need,or urge to enter below i expect them to graft below as a working terrier should,with the same commitment they put in above.I don,t own digging terriers that are about in digging kennels,they are a far different terrier now,on the whole,yet i own terriers that are dug to,when its needed and bolt the majority of the time.Do i class them as an allrounder?,i prefer the term versatile.Id not venture into the fields without the means and savvy to manage the days hunt,regardless.