Today Is The 6Th Of June......

No more than kids a lot of them. Prepared to give everything for their country.

I've done a battlefield tour of France and the Netherlands. I remember visiting this man's grave.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2631313/The-runaway-boy-hero-D-day-At-14-lied-way-Army-At-just-16-parachuted-France-frantic-family-hot-tail.html

I shudder to think of the reaction among today's youth should our nation face a similar threat now.

• Like 2

No more than kids a lot of them. Prepared to give everything for their country.

I've done a battlefield tour of France and the Netherlands. I remember visiting this man's grave. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2631313/The-runaway-boy-hero-D-day-At-14-lied-way-Army-At-just-16-parachuted-France-frantic-family-hot-tail.html

I shudder to think of the reaction among today's youth should our nation face a similar threat now.

If you look up "hero" in a dictionary, there should just a picture of that young man next it !

The best way to serve their courage and sacrifice is to make sure that they didn't die for nothing......

On Wednesday I saw an old man minding his own business carrying a case and dressed in a blazer with all his medals.

I asked him some questions and was surprised to hear he was part of the Normandy Landings. His name is Cyril Elliot of Sheffield and is 96 years old. I was star struck tbh and he was chuffed at my praises and questions. If this country had more folk like him it would be a much better place.

• Like 2

did a tour of the normandy beaches and cemetery a few years ago, and as i stood looking out across the beach thinking of all those lads lying dead i found myself in tears, what a shame and a waste and what a sacrifice. and i thought of all those wives and mothers at home waiting. heartbreaking.

Just been having another read through my Grandads company war diary......A very lucky man he was

1939 was in the BEF in France.....Made it home on the third boat first 2 sunk

The war diary starts in June 1940 training for beach landings until Nov 42 when he went to Algiers/Bougie/sousse/Tripoli

Then 9 Sept 1943 landed on the beach at Salerno Italy.....21 Sept the beaches were still being shelled

Then on to Yugoslavia in April 45 then back to Italy in May 46 where they were disbanded

Now i know why as kid i remember him not wanting to go to the beaches on family holidays

• Like 1

don't forget more importantly the start of Ramadan!

I will treat that comment with the level of contempt it deserves....

And I bet every last one of those fallen heros is turning in their grave ,at the state of the country they died for!

• Like 1