Some Do & Some Don't..

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I get your drift fella ??,i don't,won't,never have nor never will wrap my dogs up in cotton wool,if i thought of everything that may go wrong by doing certain things id end up keeping handbag dogs &am

Not everyone wants or needs their lurchers to jump but one that doesn't is as much use as a glass eye to me no matter what its capable of on a fen or such,it's red hot here today so as my lad has Boot

This guy can leap lol..  

Posted Images

I'm not as fatalistic as some of you. I've seen some horrendous tears from barbed wire on young lurchers who weren't properly looking where they were going: usually when there's other dogs messing about and distracting the youngster. Yes, I teach mine to jump, but I never teach jumping on to concrete or slabs or rock hard ground, and I never send them pinging back and forth over fences over and over again for the hell of it. If that sounds poncy, so be it.

Gaz: that photo you just put up, we have only that sort of fencing round here, and it is easily 4 and a half feet high round here. No problem for a dog that understands the dangers, but I'd sooner get a pup jumping something lower to begin with. I've also seen dogs make a mistake, try to bank the fence and ending up hanging by one foot twisted between the top two wire. Deer and fox die by doing that. Found a muntjac once with both hind feet nearly severed and almost dead. God knows how long it had been hanging there.

My dogs jump when they need to, but these days I'm a lot more careful than I used to be. Even an experienced dog can miss its footing; one of my best jumpers ended up hanging from the top rusty strand of a barbed wire fence, and I think it was because she was jumping into low sun and couldn't see the top rusty wire. My theory anyway, as that was the only slip up she ever had when jumping.

Having said all that, some pups are born to jump and you can't stop them. They seem to get a real kick out of flying through the air. I certainly wouldn't tie a dog down if it wants to do it.

Im relentless in getting a sapling to learn the art of jumping,at pace and without losing stride,its a monotonous process of jump after jump after jump,on various obstacles,wall,gates,hedges and fences.The biggest problem i find is that people learn their mutts to jump well yet let them use the top of the obstacle to push off from,thats when accidents arise,they learn to push off from a wall or the top rail of a gate,which are fixed and sturdy,then they attempt to do the same on wire,the wire gives way to their weight and many a mutt can become entangled.I tap the top of the obstacle,im learning a sapling to jump,it makes the mutt flick up its trailing feet and they never attempt to find a leverage to spring from.At times the best of jumpers gets into a tangle,again i find a mutt learns from such and is better for it at the next jump.

Fuji me old mate....hows about the flip side? Hows about not only teaching the command to jump but the command not to jump... :victory: Think you've seen it when there's that nasty double wire fence that's bound to open that lurcher up no matter how he jumps......It's good to have the option to say 'wait' to back him up and then give the 'under' command... :thumbs: Not often, but maybe once or twice a season..... :whistling: :whistling:

He's turned into a nice looking pup for sure..... :victory: :victory:

• Like 1

Fuji me old mate....hows about the flip side? Hows about not only teaching the command to jump but the command not to jump... :victory: Think you've seen it when there's that nasty double wire fence that's bound to open that lurcher up no matter how he jumps......It's good to have the option to say 'wait' to back him up and then give the 'under' command... :thumbs: Not often, but maybe once or twice a season..... :whistling: :whistling:

The majority of jumping,especially at pace,is often done out of sight or command range.

The majority of jumping,especially at pace,is often done out of sight or command range.

Well we have no control over that do we.....what we can have control over, however, is when the lurcher is within hearing distance....Fuji knows what I mean as he's seen it... :victory: and believe me, when you're hunting far, far from home and you've a long boat ride back to base you do not want your lurchers guts spilling out onto the field..... :angel:

But it's JMHO............

Well we have no control over that do we.....what we can have control over, however, is when the lurcher is within hearing distance....Fuji knows what I mean as he's seen it... :victory: and believe me, when you're hunting far, far from home and you've a long boat ride back to base you do not want your lurchers guts spilling out onto the field..... :angel:

So you stop it by hollering commands at a jukel in full flight and a league away :toast: ,ill have to master that technique the week after i take up my first camera lesson :whistling: .I possibly know what you mean,yet it helps to point out the obvious to some. :tongue2:

So you stop it by hollering commands at a jukel in full flight and a league away :toast: ,ill have to master that technique the week after i take up my first camera lesson :whistling: .I possibly know what you mean,yet it helps to point out the obvious to some. :tongue2:

I rarely post these day as I can't be doing with the arguing...... I never said anything about full flight...I'm not here to cause an argument....I was voicing an opinion...I can't stop my dog when it's in pursuit, of course I can't. I never said I could......jesus..... Believe me, you teach the 'under command' and the dog will be even more useful...... that's all I'm saying...... Remind me never to post on this section again..... :blink: :blink: :angel:

• Like 2

I rarely post these day as I can't be doing with the arguing...... I never said anything about full flight...I'm not here to cause an argument....I was voicing an opinion...I can't stop my dog when it's in pursuit, of course I can't. I never said I could......jesus..... Believe me, you teach the 'under command' and the dog will be even more useful...... that's all I'm saying...... Remind me never to post on this section again..... :blink: :blink: :angel:

Grow up,you post,you expect others to agree or disagree.All i was pointing out was the fact that its better to learn a mutt to jump well all the fecking time,not when the owner commands it to,thats naive.You make for more useful posts on here than most,if you want a pat on the back all the time,tough.