Old Terminology

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I still talk about 'taping' things off TV on Sky+.

Not terminology I know but you just don't see this anymore. ...mam always tubbed us in the kitchen sink .

We still call going to the cinema "going to the pictures"

Posted Images

If its greasy like fish n chips or a fry up then I'd have a cuppa but a cuppa with a salad ewwww! Lol

Fry up or toast for breakfast then coffee/tea definitely, every time. But with dinner or tea, nah. Just wouldn't seem right.

• Like 2

I think ive got yous on the " packed dinner "

I can hear it now " oi petal have you put my packed dinner in my packed dinner box for me to eat in my dinner hour "..........the tea thing ok its daft but i get it....but come on a sarnie for your dinner.....no i aint having that :D

Thinking about it we rarely call it a packed dinner, we'd say pack-up for your dinner. "Can you do me a sarnie for my pack up? Tar"
" Pack up ".......so at the end of the day when your getting ready to go home do you pack up your pack up.......likewise when the good lady asks what you want to drink with your dinner does she ask if you want tea with your tea.
No one drinks tea with a meal surely? Other than breaky anyway. You'd have a nice cup of tea after your meal in the lounge/sitting room, maybe a few jammy dodgers to dunk. Like civilised common folk, LOL.
Whats wrong with a cuppa rosey with youe dinner......what do you have then......dont start with all this fizzy pop caper !
No I'm not a fan of pop at all, just normal glass of juice with a meal. Then sit down somewhere comfy and have a coffee/tea depending on preference. Having tea with dinner or tea wouldn't even cross my mind, strangely I suppose. Maybe I'm odd.

I can't really think of any locals that would though.

I'm with you there BH a hot drink with a meal just seems wrong to me, that's for relaxing with after eating. The only exception being a fry up of course, need a mug of tea with that :yes:

• Like 2

yeah...same here ;) but i could have a coke with it aswell,

Oh yeah, pop would be acceptable, it's just not a particular favourite of mine. But tea or coffee just wouldn't seem right, you have that after. Ha

• Like 1

Cob is only reffered to as in being in bad mood or angry, like 'i have a cob-on'.

My favorite, when my Bexley Heath mates come to the city, is when they are asked if they want sommat like a ham 'barm', meaning 'barm cake', which is a floury bap or roll.

The look on their faces when they try and compute their ham on some sort of cake is priceless... :)

I can hear it now " oi petal have you put my packed dinner in my packed dinner box for me to eat in my dinner hour "..........the tea thing ok its daft but i get it....but come on a sarnie for your dinner.....no i aint having that :D

Thinking about it we rarely call it a packed dinner, we'd say pack-up for your dinner. "Can you do me a sarnie for my pack up? Tar"
" Pack up ".......so at the end of the day when your getting ready to go home do you pack up your pack up.......likewise when the good lady asks what you want to drink with your dinner does she ask if you want tea with your tea.
No one drinks tea with a meal surely? Other than breaky anyway. You'd have a nice cup of tea after your meal in the lounge/sitting room, maybe a few jammy dodgers to dunk. Like civilised common folk, LOL.
Whats wrong with a cuppa rosey with youe dinner......what do you have then......dont start with all this fizzy pop caper !
No I'm not a fan of pop at all, just normal glass of juice with a meal. Then sit down somewhere comfy and have a coffee/tea depending on preference. Having tea with dinner or tea wouldn't even cross my mind, strangely I suppose. Maybe I'm odd.
If its greasy like fish n chips or a fry up then I'd have a cuppa but a cuppa with a salad ewwww! Lol

yep....i'm exactly the same..... :thumbs:

• Like 1

I can't really think of any locals that would though.

I'm with you there BH a hot drink with a meal just seems wrong to me, that's for relaxing with after eating. The only exception being a fry up of course, need a mug of tea with that :yes:

spot on.... :thumbs:

Not terminology I know but you just don't see this anymore. ...mam always tubbed us in the kitchen sink .

That brought back a few memories :thumbs: I can still recall us having to get into the sink, an old stone type (they refer to them as butlers sinks now and charge a lot of dosh for them), we'd get out and stand on the wooden draining board so's mum could dry us :laugh: Was always freezing cold.

Actually did the same 2 years ago when my son bought the granddaughter over, my daughter-in-law (an Aussie) was quite bemused. No doubt we'll be doing the same in August when they visit with the newest granddaughter.

post-84277-0-17524900-1464922476.jpg

Edited by Mister Gain
  • Like 1

So who has brunch then ?????

I remember when I first came across 'brunch', when Wimpy Bars started appearing on the high streets and had 'brunch' on the menu. Up until then I'd never heard of it. :laugh:

Wimpy bars, thats a blast from the past. Poor old mr wimpy would turn in his grave if he could see how old ronald mc donald was getting on thease days with the utter garbage they pump out.

I remember when I first came across 'brunch', when Wimpy Bars started appearing on the high streets and had 'brunch' on the menu. Up until then I'd never heard of it. :laugh:

Wimpy bars, thats a blast from the past. Poor old mr wimpy would turn in his grave if he could see how old ronald mc donald was getting on thease days with the utter garbage they pump out.

My memory of a Wimpy Bar was when my mate's dad caught us both smoking in there when we were about 13 and he made him eat the rest of the packet in front of everyone. :laugh:

My memory of a Wimpy Bar was when my mate's dad caught us both smoking in there when we were about 13 and he made him eat the rest of the packet in front of everyone. :laugh:

Hope it was only 5 Park Drive, and not 20 Kensitas :laugh: Those were the days you went to the pictures and watched the film through a blue haze, ashtray on the back of every seat.

We've still got a Wimpy up the high street and the wife says it is quite well used.

• Like 1